Author Topic: Help, my Falcon V1s are dead.  (Read 2512 times)

Online MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
Help, my Falcon V1s are dead.
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
First I have a one F16V1 that was running my singing trees just fine up until 2 days ago.

Something went wrong with it. It does not seem to want to receive data any longer. i.e. When data is sent to it the green activity light does not flash either when attempting to program it or to send data to  it. I have reflashed the PIC just to be sure with double verification of the programming. BTW this is a rev 1 board without active pixenet pass through. I replaced the 2 485s in the event that something had happened to the main data path and no change.

Second I had a 'backup' F16V1 that I setup to test before attempting to replace the first one but here is what happens with it. I attempt to program it and the green light flashes and the text pixels hooked to the first port flash as expected. However when I try to send test data from within xLights the board does not respond and there is no flashing green light (at least I think the let is supposed to blink green) and no output to the pixels.

I have another F16V1 that does nothing more than the first one that was in service.

Any help would be appreciated because without this controller a good portion of my show goes away and I would like to video it before it comes down.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Help, my Falcon V1s are dead.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »
Where is your Pixelnet coming from?

Online MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »
I have a Lynx Pixelnet USB dongle. There is output from the dongle because at least one of the F16V1s will blink when programming.

I use the same dongle to program my uSCs.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »
Tom, how many ports do you need?  I have a spare passive hub and at least 8 SSCs ready to go.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Online MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
I think I have a hub (I'd have to check if it has a PS), just not enough SSCs to replace the F16V1 with.
I have 4 faces, each on would take 3 SSCs. I could probably pull together 4 of my uSSCs to accomplish getting them back online for doing video.
What kind of SSCs do you have?
That would be great to get that element back up and running again so I can video it.

Are you home tomorrow? When would be a good time to call?

Thanks,

Tom

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
If you have the F16 v1 setup for more than one universe it will not work when only sending it one universe from the DLA USB dongle.  If this is the case, if you set the F16 to only universe 1, then it should start working.
-
Chris

Online MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 07:57:31 AM »
Ok, that did it on the backup board. I was able to configure it and make it work on the bench.

Unfortunately the original board still does not work.

When the boar is plugged in the green light flashes, I guess this is a boot indicator.
There is output when the test jumper is put in place.

However when I hook the pixelnet dongle up to the input I see no green flashing light. I have replaced both of the 485s thinking that something knocked them out but still no incoming data indication via the green indicator light.

What should I check next? I have no scope to  trace signals.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 08:01:21 AM »
All my SSCs are v3 and flashed with falcon firmware.  I'm sure I have more than 8 just don't know how many.  The 8 I'm sure of used to be for my original pixel tree, but the new pixel tree is connected to an F16 v1

Call me in the afternoon, I plan to be home after lunch time.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »
Tom,

What dongle are you using to test with. Also how many universes are set in the Faclon Control Panel for the controller. When you program the board does the blue/green light flash?
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Online MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
I am using a Lynx Pixelnet Dongle. I followed the Captains advice and changed the programming to one (1) universe and in my backup board that seems to have worked. I can sideend data to it via xLights and the pixels turn on as would be expected.

The board that I am about to disconnect 16 cables from does not blink it's green light when the programmer transmits data, nor when I use xLights to try and test either.

The green light only blinks on startup.

I am using the same test setup to work with both boards, the backup one that I believe will work and the one that is currently in the box that does not.

Time today is growing short so if you have any ideas please call me now before I spend hours replacing the unresponsive board.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
Well replacing it is going to work. So I would stick with that for today. 

Online MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »
Done.

The only down side is what ever took out my Falcon also took out some face pixels but it is the Ah mouth that really isn't used that much anyway, we will see.

Now off to change a pixel in the mega tree.