Author Topic: Programming question  (Read 2073 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
Programming question
« on: December 27, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »
Can I program my F16V1 which is being driven from a F16V2 while a show is running from the Pi using the Falcon programming utility?

I need to correct a F16V1 programming error but the show is running and I don't necessarily want to stop it.

Also what IP address should I put in the FPD address entry in the Falcon programming utility, I am assuming it should be the address of the F16v2 that the F16v1 is attached to.

Offline Michael

• Kudos: 0
Re: Programming question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »
I am not sure if this should work or not, but I tried this the other day and the F16V1 board stopped responding.  I had the same issue, my color order was wrong and I wanted to make a quick change.

David mentioned on another thread, "The F16V2 can program an attached F16V1. You need to select FPD, the interface to use and the IP address of F16V2 in the user interface." My board is running through a SSC Hub and wasn't able to program my board.  The next day I had to run a direct cable from my Etherdongle and that worked.  I am going to do some more experimenting this weekend when I take down my show. 

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »
Yes, I remember the thread about using the F16v2 to program the v1. It shouldn't matter that you went through a hub or not the data stream should be the same.

I tried it during a show pause but I didn't see the element blink as I would have expected.

I don't know if the two data streams from the programming utility and the Pi can work together on the same net.

I too may have to wait until tomorrow unfortunately rain is predicted and that will make this a bigger problem if it does.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
Ok I want to expand this programming question to see if I have the correct grip on it.

I have 4 singing RGB faces.
Each face has 8 groups of pixels

Each group of 8 pixels is to programmed into the F16V1 using the following structure.
Start Channel: 3690
Custom grouping:
#1   19
#2   25
#3   30
Total pixels/nodes grouped = 74
Start Channel: 3699
Custom grouping:
#1   30
#2   33
#3   62
Total pixels/nodes grouped = 125
Start Channel: 3708
Custom grouping:
#1   18
#2   90
Total pixels/nodes grouped = 108

Do I program channel one like this:
Start Channel: 3690
Pixel count 74
Color order: RGB
Direction: Forward
Group Mode: Custom Grouping
#1   19
#2   25
#3   30

If I do it this way I have to set the controller info like this:
Board address: whatever
Type: Falcon 16 Controller
Universe Select: 1 & 2

Otherwise some of the channels will red out and deselect.

Does this mean I cannot use a Lynx Pixelnet dongle to program the F16V1 this way?

Will I also need to be sending the F16V1 a data stream with both universe 1 and 2 data for it to respond correctly? Even though I am only going to address it with 3 addresses in universe 1.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »
My experience is that you cannot program and run simultaneously.  In addition, I needed to stop FPP not just pause.  In addition, it is real easy to leave XL open with output enabled and try to program with Falcon utility when debugging.  Responding to your other thread with some other ideas but your programming looks fine to me. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »
You should be able to program fine through FPP while a show is running.  I did it a couple times this year to move something to a different output on a F16 v1 and to fix a reversed string on another F16 v1.
-
Chris

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 09:29:33 AM »
I have figured it out.

I had one more F16V1 that had its 12v reversed and its revers polarity diode blown up year before last leaving it half working. So I pulled it out and replaced the destroyed parts which had been languishing in the parts box for a long time. LOL

After bringing that board back to full functionality, built dongle cables for it, programmed it 12 times while testing the outputs I put this one out and connected it to the faces.

TADA this one worked as expected.

Now I have 2 F16V1s that need to have some tender loving repair. Both have different problems but drove me crazy without some needed help. If I had not had that 3rd board I would still be pulling what hair I have left out.

My show will be back up with all elements tonight. Hip Hip Hooray!!!!

I am also expecting my drone to be delivered by the end of the day as well.

I will try the programming via the F16V2 AFTER I have done my videos.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
You should be able to program fine through FPP while a show is running.  I did it a couple times this year to move something to a different output on a F16 v1 and to fix a reversed string on another F16 v1.

I have programmed (configured?) F16v1 boards and SSC v3 (with Dave's firmware) while the show is running. That was from a RasPi and FPD combo. Did it four times this season. I had to change the color order after changing pixel vendors. I just let the sequence run, sent the commands, then walked outside to see if I'd made the right choice.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »
You would have to run the configuration utility on a PC. Were you running your show on the Pi or using the Pi as the E1.31 interface to the FPD?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 03:47:03 PM »
You would have to run the configuration utility on a PC. Were you running your show on the Pi or using the Pi as the E1.31 interface to the FPD?

I ran the Falcon Controller Software from my PC. It is connected to the same network as the RasPi Remote with the FPD board.
I don't output E1.31 for anything (since I ended not using my F16v2).
It is all FPP Master and two Remotes.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 04:08:20 PM »
I have programmed the F16V1s in the yard using that configuration last year.

I am running my show direct from the Pi to my E1.31 network to which I have my F16V2 with it's first output defined as pixelnet universes 1, 2, and 3. It is in this configuration that I am unable to get the utility on my PC to program the F16V1 either before or during a show.

Since I now have everything working and it is still raining and I cannot video anyting yet I am not going to tempt fate (or Murphy for that matter) doing any kind of experimentation testing.

One of the last things I before tear down will be to one more time attempt to send programming info to the F16v1 connected to that F16v2. I will  post the results of this upcoming test.