Author Topic: Another Programming Question ICYMI  (Read 1437 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
Another Programming Question ICYMI
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »
Is my understanding of the F16V1 programming as follows correct?

I have 4 singing RGB faces.
Each face has 8 groups of pixels

Each group of 8 pixels is to programmed into the F16V1 using the following structure.
Start Channel: 3690
Custom grouping:
#1   19
#2   25
#3   30
Total pixels/nodes grouped = 74

Start Channel: 3699
Custom grouping:
#1   30
#2   33
#3   62
Total pixels/nodes grouped = 125

Start Channel: 3708
Custom grouping:
#1   18
#2   90
Total pixels/nodes grouped = 108

Do I program each of the channels like this:
Channel 1
Start Channel: 3690
Pixel count 74
Color order: RGB
Direction: Forward
Group Mode: Custom Grouping
#1   19
#2   25
#3   30

Channel 2
Start Channel: 3699
Pixel count 125
#1   30
#2   33
#3   62

Channel 3
Start Channel: 3708
Pixel count 108
#1   18
#2   90

If I do it this way I have to set the controller info like this:
Board address: whatever
Type: Falcon 16 Controller
Universe Select: 1 & 2

Otherwise some of the channels will red out and deselect.

Does this mean I cannot use a Lynx Pixelnet dongle to program the F16V1 this way?

Will I also need to be sending the F16V1 a data stream with both universe 1 and 2 data for it to respond correctly? Even though I am only going to address it with 3 addresses in universe 1.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
Re: Another Programming Question ICYMI
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
Well I have answered one of my questions after dragging the F16V1 back and forth.

The Falcon16V2 WILL NOT field program an F16V1 connected to it, matter of fact it somehow trashing any programming the F16V1 has, and besides that some of my DMX lights in the lower half of the 1st DMX universe lights up (did it last night). The F16V1 would not even give an indication that it was receiving test data in the yard.

I had to disconnect it and put it back on the bench and reprogram it with a Pixelnet dongle before the green light would start blinking to incoming data again.

I did try programming the F16V1 as I stated above while it was on the bench but because it had to be programmed with universe 1 and 2 I could not test it on the bench with a single DMX universe dongle. Put it back in the yard and it does not respond to addressing like I want.

I really want to get this back operational again.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »
I have been programming 2 F16V1's this Christmas without a problem.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »
The falcon did program on the bench, or at least it blinked the attached test string.

When I put it back connected to the faces strange response was observed.

The first three addresses turned on the correct lights, after that not co much.

Matter of fact when I addressed the last channel of the first face which was supposed to be the outline of the tree, one pixel came on face 1 and the pixels that should have been at the next address on the second face came on. I have checked, rechecked, and checked again using xLights test mode. I have even moved the F16V1 to the bench several times to 're program' the board. Doesn't seem to make any different results.

First I want to know if I am programming it correctly for the results I desire. I know the first board worked until it died but somehow I lost the programming info from that effort which was done did weeks ago. I thought I saved it but I can't find it.

The weather this year has affected my display like never before. I really want to video it before it comes down but if I can't get the faces going again it will just end up being not done and disappointing.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated from anybody.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
I had some weirdness when changing my F16 to dual universe in situ.  A couple hours later I realized it was a few things I screwed up.  I will first say I had some real problems with usb dongle so I dtiched it for a ETD and have been real stable since then.  Another thing I am thinking of is, did you attempt to reuse a partial controller file?  I tried to "convert" one from last year that had some zeus.  (IE change Zeus to F16) and it acted up.  Deleted and added new F16 and all was fine.  In addition, do you have the controllers set for H/C mode in the utility?  You are using custom grouping...  The thing that kicked my butt was enabling outputs.  Real easy to miss.  IE I had XL setup right but not FPP.  Then I also had some wrong settings in the programming utility.  I had some settings saved in standard grouping AND custom.  Then there was the big one.  In LSP you have to setup outputs so that the conductor exports all.  Seem to recall you a LSP user.  My gut reaction to your overall experience is something off in programming.  Hope some this helps!
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
I have figured it out.

I had one more F16V1 that had its 12v reversed and its revers polarity diode blown up year before last leaving it half working. So I pulled it out and replaced the destroyed parts which had been languishing in the parts box for a long time. LOL

After bringing that board back to full functionality, built dongle cables for it, programmed it 12 times while testing the outputs I put this one out and connected it to the faces.

TADA this one worked as expected.

Now I have 2 F16V1s that need to have some tender loving repair. Both have different problems but drove me crazy without some needed help. If I had not had that 3rd board I would still be pulling what hair I have left out.

My show will be back up with all elements tonight. Hip Hip Hooray!!!!

I am also expecting my drone to be delivered by the end of the day as well.

I will try the programming via the F16V2 AFTER I have done my videos.