Author Topic: When will the first run be in 2016?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline bassmants

• Kudos: 0
When will the first run be in 2016?
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
Any idea when these will be available in 2016?

Thanks, Terry

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: When will the first run be in 2016?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:20:19 AM »
I just want to publicly apologize to Corey and the group for holding up the last group buy with the firmware for uSCv2. I am willing to try again if you guys give me another chance at it. 
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »
No apologies necessary, we thank you for the great software.

Offline stanward

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
I want to purchase a few as well.

Thanks,

Stan

Offline corey872

• Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
Here are some answers to FAQ's for 2016:  All this is, of course, tentative - but also includes my 'best guess' for now.

Will there be a 2016 co-op

I can't explicitly promise anything, though the plan is to introduce any new / revamped boards in the first quarter of the year, Gauge interest and get a co-op started around May 2016, ordering / payments completed by June, shipments would likely be late July / early August

What will be available in the co-op

That depends a bit on what the community wants.  It 'seems like' there will be enough interest for the following:

uAmp - likely a slightly amended version with a bit more 'meat' around the strain relief holes, possibly with pre-mounted SMD LEDs.  The basic structure / operation is already optimized and would be the same as 2015.

uSC - possibly a 'Version 2' Mega which would resemble the uSCV1 Mega but with SMD LEDs, 5V bypass for 5V operation (including some sag on the line...4.9V, etc), 170 channel output support, and possibly a 'flash through connectors' feature, meaning you would not need to access the ICSP header to re-flash firmware.  The board could be totally / permanently encapsulated and still be flashed if needed.

Unsure how much interest there is for:

Additional Afterburners - this would likely be a very small production run, if any at all.

An as yet unnamed 'Strobe Board'.  This is still in the 'drawing board' stage, but would actually be a board which could run one high power RGB LED 'node/strobe', or three 'white'/single color LED 'node/strobes'.  The interesting note being - when you build a board like this, you've essentially created a 'dumb string controller' limited only by the choice of mosfet / transistor in the drive section.  With an output current limit of 500-1000mA, the board can be pretty small, though if a person wanted multiple amps per channel, larger components and or passive cooling might be required.  Considering ways to design this all into one board to maximize versatility and economies of scale.

What will the prices be:

It is too early to tell.  I typically look to every opportunity to keep the the prices as low as possible.  Though considering price breaks across multiple components with for differing order quantities, price breaks on the fabrication and assembly of the different boards and order quantities  - we've had anything from 80 boards to 1200.  I will do everything I can to keep the prices at or below the 2015 levels, though if component / manufacturing prices go up, or order quantities / price breaks go down, we may have to adjust accordingly.

As the design of the boards becomes 'locked in', I can get some preliminary quotes and at least know what ballpark we're in to set a base price.  As always, orders above/beyond the target quantity would have a chance to reduce the overall price.  Orders under the target might result in cancelling that item or making alternative plans.

uAmp, uSC, ABC, PDQ - it's all alphabet soup to me, what does all this stuff do?

Each item has a sticky-post at the top of the "u - Micro Family" forum section with an Owners / Users Manual, links to discussion threads, demonstration videos, etc.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/board,47.0.html

I have a question / suggestion for 2016

Please feel free to discuss thoughts on the 2016 co-op in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:48:57 AM by corey872 »
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 41
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:58 AM »
uAmp - likely a slightly amended version with a bit more 'meat' around the strain relief holes, possibly with pre-mounted SMD LEDs
Even though soldering the thru-hole leds is very easy, I like the idea of pre-mounted SMD LEDs and cast my vote for them.  8)
-Mark

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
I prefer completed boards using SMD...

I like all of the features described for the uSCv2... looking forward to this!  (is there a possibility of going up to 680 pixels or more?  if I take on the power injection responsibilities, it would be nice to run one pixelnet line and control a boatload of pixels...)

The strobe board sounds intriguing!   With the strobe, it would be great if there was a DMX firmware option along with a Pixelnet firmware option.

Thanks Corey!
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »
I guess that I still don't understand this reasoning.  What is the advantage of putting so many eggs in one basket?  If you have to run a bunch of power injection lines anyway, what exactly is the point???? 

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
I guess that I still don't understand this reasoning.  What is the advantage of putting so many eggs in one basket?  If you have to run a bunch of power injection lines anyway, what exactly is the point????
This 680 pixels per uSC will never happen with the processor it uses.  IIRC, 150 is the limit based on processing power. I think the stretch goal was a full universe of 170 pixels. However, if 680 were possible think of this...

Example. I have an 1800 pixel megatree. I'd need 3 uSC at 680 pixels/ea to control the tree, roughly $30.  I'd carry a spare uSC for $10 in case something happens to one of the them, so $40 total invested in control including backup.  Compare that to running only 100 pixels per output on a F16v2.  I'd need two F16v2's for control, then if I wanted a spare if something were to go wrong, that'd be another $200 as a spare, so $600 total.  Granted one would likely be sure to fit 1800 pixels on one controller, so $200 for control, one for backup would only be $400.  But that's still 10x the price for the imaginary 680 pixel uSC solution.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
Today I design an element so that one uSC matches up...  one 50-pixel coroflake=1 usc.  I sometimes stretch this to 3  40pix arches = 1 usc.

i have a coro tree that has 2 uscs each with 143 pixels because of the pixel count -- I'd like to use 1 usc.
I have a starburst with 2 uscs and a total of 250 pixels... I'd prefer 1 usc.

if I could run a pixel tree with 12 strands of 50 pixels, then it would take 600 pixels -- i'd like to control it with 1 usc.

yes... the downside is having 1 bad pixel take out all pixels that come after... but a $10 controller for moderately-sized props would be nice.

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »
With my own experience using pixels, the "1 bad pixel taking out everything else" would result in most of my things not working at all.   Thats why I don't inject.

Offline tomhammond

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »

Does anyone know when another uAmp group buy will happen; I need to fix a difficult problem that I am having with my ws2811 strings.  I only need eight uAmps (though 16 or more would be nice).

Thanks for any information you may have!

Tom Hammond
tominohio@gmail.com