Author Topic: 2015 Zwiller vid  (Read 3404 times)

Offline needbrew

• Kudos: 0
Re: 2015 Zwiller vid
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »
Great display.  What did you use to get that color wash on the house.  Love that look with the outline doing one thing while you have the house in another color.  Also what strobes are you using.  I like that look

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »
Thanks guys! 

Color on house are floods.  Aether II's from DLA.  5 total: 2 in entrance eves for 2nd story/2 3' from ground and house/1 under entrance aimed at door.  The northstar is backlit with rectangular modules around perimeter and stands 4" from siding. 

Strobes?  Don't have any.  NOT YET!  ;D  Maybe the spot lights on top?  Those are 10W cool white led spot lights from ebay like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-LED-Underwater-Spot-Light-RGB-Cool-Warm-White-Garden-Pool-Pond-Lamp-12V-IP68/190899407588?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D9199c1c7f2f7444686a9c7093fc1d0f5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D281896247670
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline hearthstonelights

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 07:04:26 PM »
once again Sam, your sequencing tight! duane mosley from DLA

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »
Quality over quantity over at my house.  Not kidding that I can tear this down in an hour or so. 

What's your guy's favorite parts/least favorite?  Suggestions to new elements?  Dual mega trees or P10 (p5?) panels under entrance?

Quality over quantity for sure. Besides the great sequencing, something that makes a light display stand out but people tend not to notice are the floodlights. They add a lot of drama with minimal setup effort and sequencing channels/hassle. I love mine and I'm surprised that not more people use them. And as needbrew said, using contrasting colours looks great too; I plan to use plenty of contrast when I add pixels for 2016.

I don't think you need a megatree for your display. Your house dominates your yard and is already the focal point. Adding a megatree (or two for symmetry) would just be a distraction from your house and would leave to "oversaturation" as you call it, IMHO. As for P10 Panels, as cool as they are, I wonder if it would somehow "clash" with the simple, traditional style of your house.

Addendum: I was trying to find this video an example of "too much" (https://youtu.be/nXFtV1AFfIw?t=1m9s) and happened to stumble upon this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6fpuV4EAZ4. A perfect example of a building (business?) without much curb appeal, but WOW look at that tree!!! Don't move for 20-30 years, and do that to those trees in your yard, LOL!!!

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »
Quality over quantity over at my house.  Not kidding that I can tear this down in an hour or so. 

What's your guy's favorite parts/least favorite?  Suggestions to new elements?  Dual mega trees or P10 (p5?) panels under entrance?

Quality over quantity for sure. Besides the great sequencing, something that makes a light display stand out but people tend not to notice are the floodlights. They add a lot of drama with minimal setup effort and sequencing channels/hassle. I love mine and I'm surprised that not more people use them. And as needbrew said, using contrasting colours looks great too; I plan to use plenty of contrast when I add pixels for 2016.

I don't think you need a megatree for your display. Your house dominates your yard and is already the focal point. Adding a megatree (or two for symmetry) would just be a distraction from your house and would leave to "oversaturation" as you call it, IMHO. As for P10 Panels, as cool as they are, I wonder if it would somehow "clash" with the simple, traditional style of your house.

Addendum: I was trying to find this video an example of "too much" (https://youtu.be/nXFtV1AFfIw?t=1m9s) and happened to stumble upon this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6fpuV4EAZ4. A perfect example of a building (business?) without much curb appeal, but WOW look at that tree!!! Don't move for 20-30 years, and do that to those trees in your yard, LOL!!!

that tree is incredible, would think it would take quite a long time to get that setup, but very very cool!

Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 12:26:43 PM »
-Mark

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »
Great points Gary.  I really think a mega tree, especially a large one, does wonder balancing a layout and creating a focal point off the house and that it is especially beneficial to a home that might not have much curb appeal.  I also think it would be essential for a 1 story home to have a tall focal point to balance the layout and a large mega (approx 2 stories) is perfect.     

OMG that tree in the 2nd link.  Incredible.  Sequence is musical too.  I would say best live tree I've ever seen.  This is really making me think more about rigging my live trees with strips or improving them/adding more lights to them.

Those spots can run off any 12v dumb controller.  I used a DSC (dumb string controller) so I could mount it to the frames for the lights but I plan to change it this year as the cat 5 pigtails are showing some age.  Plan to go all WP connectors somehow. 

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »
I was asked about the color etc of the spot lights.  All are cool white.  There are some camera artifacts affecting the way they look; I am using a ultra wide angle lens.  First off, a few look yellowish.  Not in real life.  In addition, some appear "starry".  Not in real life.  If I had extra time I'd dig out the extension ladder and dial them all in for the camera but no dice.  Here's another video for a better overall look of them.  https://vimeo.com/56736848

While I am at it.  These are actually pretty dang bright when view directly (called blinders for a reason).  I deliberately aimed then toward edge of property and they just hit parked cars so neighbors were unaffected.