Author Topic: "Advanced" Networking  (Read 11985 times)

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
Re: "Advanced" Networking
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
I have gotten a Edimax WiFi Adapter and have found an incompatibility between the 8192CU driver used in the FPP and the hostapd [at least on the Pi but assume a similar issue with the BeagleBone but I've not gotten there yet to test] which makes the magic happen for Access Point and Hotspot modes. If you have an Edimax WiFi Adapter or similar which use the 8192CU driver, these two modes will not work at the moment. I'm looking into it since I know it should work with the Edimax just have to find the right pixie dust.

I've done all my testing so far using an WiFi Adapter which uses the RT5370 chipset and that works fine.

Found the right pixie dust, just need to get it fully integrated into the patch and an updated patch should be posted in the next few days.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 107
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
Ok, I'll wait then. I am using the Edimax on both Pi and BBB.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 09:26:44 PM »
Go to Reply #43 for the latest patch.

Updated patch which resolves the issue with Realtek-based Edimax WiFi Adapters:

Other than making the filenames above more manageable going forward, everything else is the same from the previous instructions (Reply #5 and #21).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:36:15 PM by ThreeSizes »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »
The Hotspot is showing up in my Tablet's list of WiFi, but it is not authenticating.

What are the PSK parameters again? perhaps mine in not valid.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 05:14:24 AM »
The Hotspot is showing up in my Tablet's list of WiFi, but it is not authenticating.

What are the PSK parameters again? perhaps mine in not valid.

Looks like there is an issue with the WPA authentication. I'm having the same issue on a BBB/Edimax this morning. If you remove the PSK it will work not use WPA and will work (temporarily). You can at least play around with it, I wouldn't leave it up and running when not it use since it would be an open hotspot anybody can connect to.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
It would be an open hotspot to nowhere!

Sometime during the night, then Edimax turned itself off (no blinking blue indicator).
I'll have a look at the logs. (and remove the PSK)

The "random" Hotspot IP address I picked (192.168.100.1) turned out to be the same IP as my Motorola cable modem.
I'm restarting some tests now with a different IP.

here are the log files (manually zipped from the uSD card)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:36:07 AM by JonB256 »

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 09:51:35 AM »
Sometime during the night, then Edimax turned itself off (no blinking blue indicator).

The Edimax adapters use the Realtek 8188 chipsets which does not work with the native Linux wireless stack and has its own monolithic driver (8192CU). It wants its own wpa_supplicant but will mostly work with the stock wpa_supplicant (this is what handles wireless security); this is way people see the nl80211 missing errors when using the Edimax adapters. And it requires a patched version of hostapd (which is what makes the Access Point/Hotspot work). And this patch was for hostapd v0.8, the current version of hostapd is v2.5, fortunately another third party ported the patch from v0.8 to v2.5. I need to get more time on the Edimax adapters, most of what I've done so far has been on WiFi Adapters using RaLink 5370 chipsets which work with the native Linux wireless stack and software [and work out-of-the-box].

I appreciate getting the extra eyse on this and helping to test this and work out the kinks.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 10:58:06 AM »
Do you have an Amazon or Newegg link for that RaLink adapter?

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
I purchased them through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H95C0A2

But they came from:

http://www.detroit-electronics.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

I've not messed with the long range version.

Offline tripplett

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »
Great, and here I'm telling everyone to buy the EdiMax ones because they've always worked so well for me.  Plus they don't stick out much.  Do you find you get longer range with those RaLink 5370 ones with add on antennas?

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 02:15:05 PM »
That is the hope, at least I'm looking at the detachable antennas more as a way to move the antenna away from the Pi/BBB or other things within the enclosure.

I'm not giving up on the EdiMax, they just require more attention when doing more than just connecting to a WiFi network, I actually just bought two more EdiMax adapters to test/integrate what I'm doing with them, including the 802.11AC dual-band version.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2016, 08:48:12 PM »
I now have the RALink usb wifi. Do I need to reinstall the BBB from the beginning?

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
You shouldn't need to.

I'm just wrapped up testing on the next version of the patch. I think I at least know why the Edimax are being problematic after switching to the new hostapd. Although I don't yet have a solution, I do have a work-around which allows them to work. I'll be updating the instructions here next.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 09:35:14 PM »
Updated patch which resolves the issue (again) with Realtek-based Edimax WiFi Adapters:

On the BeagleBone, after doing the above but before you reboot do:
  • sudo systemctl disable bonescript.socket
  • sudo systemctl disable bonescript-autorun.service

Everything else is the same from the previous instructions (Reply #5 and #21).  The next version of the patch will properly handle (re)disabling bone script.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:55:59 PM by ThreeSizes »

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »
Prototype FPP WiFi Mesh

This is a follow-up to a couple of posts from another thread: http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4462.msg47042.html#msg47042

I have been playing around with using the Advanced Network patch to create a "FPP WiFi Mesh".  The mesh requires one FPP to be a Hotspot or Access Point (or anything else as a hotspot/access point/router) and FPPs to be AP-Repeaters.  The Hotspot/Access Point mode is already integrated into the patch, so you just need to apply the patch and configure the FPP for Hotspot or Access Point mode.  FPPs that will act as AP-Repeater need the patch apply, and then a custom set of configuration files placed in /etc/network.  AP-Repeater is not currently integrated into the WebGUI.

To create a AP-Repeater:

1. Apply the Advanced Network patch from the previous post.

2. Create three files in /etc/network: hostap.custom, hostap_deny.custom, interfaces.custom.  The required contents of these files are described in the attachment here. Values needing to be changed are marked with brackets and comments are marked with arrows.  Make sure to remove the commands and the brackets from your versions. This is an advanced advanced configuration and I'm assuming you are comfortable at the Linux command line. If you are not comfortable at the common line, let me know and I can generate a custom version of these files for you with your specific values.

Couple of notes:

- The AP-Repeater requires TWO USB WiFi Adapters. Be mindful of the power consumption, you might need a powered USB hub or Y cable (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM)
- WLAN0 (the first WiFi Adapter is the "transmitter" or the local access point  {Note this is backwords from what's in the drawing}
- WLAN1 (the second WiFi Adapter is the "receiver" and connects to the upstream access point/hotspot
- ETH0 is connected into the mesh as well and can be used to bridge in wired controllers, etc. into the mesh.
- The IP address of the FPP is configured by the WLAN1 interface.
- The mesh operates with a single common IP subnet across all nodes. If you are using DHCP, addresses will be assigned by the Hotspot/Router.
- The interfaces.custom file overrides the FPP network configuration. To revert back to FPP network control, delete the interfaces.custom file.

This will eventually get into the Advanced Network patch, it just takes a little bit more work and I first wanted to get this out for those that were interested in playing with the AP-Repeater to create a FPP Mesh.