Author Topic: Plexiglas for P10 matrix  (Read 9015 times)

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
Re: Plexiglas for P10 matrix
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 02:43:13 PM »
Shipping cost had to be bugger for a 4x8 sheet?

Offline Gilrock

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
This is one photo showing my two panels at a weird angle.

I used the 0.093" stuff also.  Not sure if it was Lexan or Plexiglas.  I designed it with the plastic butted up directly in front of the panels.  Nobody could tell anything was in front of the lights because several people asked me if there was anything there to protect them.  One thing I have noticed about the plastic is the stuff I get from Home Depot doesn't seem to cut as nice as whatever it is they sell me at the local plastic shop.  When I try to cut the Home Depot stuff with my CNC router it wants to melt onto the bit.  No problem with the stuff from the shop.

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
Oh and my plastic is mounted by routing an 1/8" groove in all the composite boards.  The larger piece of plastic got scratched when it fell over in the garage but you couldn't see it at all or otherwise it probably would have bugged me enough to change it.

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
I also ended up sealing off the back side using plexiglass.  I used weather stripping and then screwed it down.

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 03:52:07 PM »
This is one photo showing my two panels at a weird angle.

I used the 0.093" stuff also.  Not sure if it was Lexan or Plexiglas.  I designed it with the plastic butted up directly in front of the panels.  Nobody could tell anything was in front of the lights because several people asked me if there was anything there to protect them.  One thing I have noticed about the plastic is the stuff I get from Home Depot doesn't seem to cut as nice as whatever it is they sell me at the local plastic shop.  When I try to cut the Home Depot stuff with my CNC router it wants to melt onto the bit.  No problem with the stuff from the shop.

Super nice looking, really well done. And I love that your design has no gaps, which you get with the boscoy mounts.

Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »
Yeah there was no such thing as Boscoyo mounts when I started building my panel.  I have a CNC router so I designed a solid sheet of plastic with cutouts for the connectors and holes to fit the panel pattern.

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
Then wired it up.

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »
Lexan is easier to cut than plexiglass.  Plexiglass is very brittle.  I have a sheer in my shop and it only took about 5 minutes to set up and sheer to size. I'm sure if you have a shop in your area that they would sheer it very inexpensively.  I also used .093 and cut the slots in the boards using a table saw.  Planning to remove the back panel  and cutting a opening in the back where the BBB is then cutting the back off a cg500 case and mounting to Lexan so I have easy access to it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 71
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
I uploaded pictures of mine a while ago to:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg40300.html#msg40300

Mine is made entirely of plastic.   1/4" Black acrylic for the back/sides and 1/8" clear polycarbonate for the front.  Basically, whatever I found cheapest from Amazon Prime.  :-)    It's all cut on a table saw and then glued together with the special plastic glue. 
Dan Kulp

Offline mello_roberto

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 05:48:03 AM »
Yeah there was no such thing as Boscoyo mounts when I started building my panel.  I have a CNC router so I designed a solid sheet of plastic with cutouts for the connectors and holes to fit the panel pattern.

Gil, how big is your CNC router?

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »

My router can do a 4'x4' sheet.  My P10 panel was larger than that but the design software allows you to split the job so I just add a couple registration holes that are out of the way and run the job in two steps.

Offline mello_roberto

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »

My router can do a 4'x4' sheet.  My P10 panel was larger than that but the design software allows you to split the job so I just add a couple registration holes that are out of the way and run the job in two steps.
That's awesome, I am assuming is a DIY project :-)

Offline Unibits

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 05:58:34 PM »
I found www.proplas.com the other day.  I am looking for a 4' by 8' sheet of lexan to cover my matrix and some other things.  They have just about every possible configuration and thickness. 

Their prices seem reasonable.  I think the shipping with be the deciding factor for most.  I am lucky as I can go to one of their remote offices and pick up a sheet or two and not have any shipping cost.

Cheers

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
I found www.proplas.com the other day.  I am looking for a 4' by 8' sheet of lexan to cover my matrix and some other things.  They have just about every possible configuration and thickness. 

Their prices seem reasonable.  I think the shipping with be the deciding factor for most.  I am lucky as I can go to one of their remote offices and pick up a sheet or two and not have any shipping cost.

Cheers
You should be able to get a 4x8 sheet at Lowes or home Depot. It might not be as cheap, but you won't have any shipping costs.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »

Cheers
You should be able to get a 4x8 sheet at Lowes or home Depot. It might not be as cheap, but you won't have any shipping costs.

James

Geez, I must be blind, didn't see that you live near that place. Oops. :-\