Author Topic: LED Strips  (Read 2488 times)

lightsonlinden

LED Strips
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
I am just learning Xlights/FPP/RGB and I ordered some bullet pixels from Holiday coro but also a LED strip off of Amazon.  They both are WS2811 but I found with the strip they must not be set the same as the pixel nodes as RGB does not match.   In order to match I had to change the RGB setting in Alpha Pix for the SPI I had the strip connected too.

This is what I had ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LHQCD56?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I am more and more learning this stuff has a high learning curve.   Wondering if someone can advise what should I be looking for when I buy a strip to ensure it follows the RGB pattern and does not require me to make a setting change?

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Re: LED Strips
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »
LOL, good luck with that.  It appears that every builder has their own method of connecting the LED's to the chip.  I have seen the color order change between different orders from the same supplier.  This is one of the reasons that the better controllers have the ability to change the color order on each port.  At best, you can question the supplier to find out if they know what the color order is and when you buy, try and get all that you need for a specific project at the same time.  This will minimize the chance of getting two of the same node type with a different color order which makes it a real PITA if you need to splice a few strings together and they don't match.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »
At least with the F16v2 you can do virtual strings and each virtual string can have a different rgb setting .....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »
Node and Strip are near always different colour orders.

2801/2811 nodes I have used over the years have always been RGB

2801/2811 strip: don't recall one strip ever being RGB, but the actual order can be variable.

I think that the colour order on strip can vary as there are 2 very distinct pin outs for 5050RGB leds and I have personal experience with both pin outs.

lightsonlinden

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »
So the F16 Allows you to change at the Model /  channel level or the universe level?

I just bought this to test with on my house to see if I like Strips or Nodes.

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:36:05 PM »
So the F16 Allows you to change at the Model /  channel level or the universe level?

I just bought this to test with on my house to see if I like Strips or Nodes.

The F16v2 will allow you to change the colour order on a per port basis OR using the virtual string feature, on part of the string attached to a port.

node -> strip -> node

using virtual strings you can change the colour order of just the strip above.

the hardest part is often just working out the colour order but even the F16v2 makes this easy with changes occurring in real time and no reboots.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
RGB is higher risk/higher reward.  Color order is all over the place but it ain't no big thing, you'll get used to it.  You can change it in hardware or software.  I prefer hardware.  With FPD you can even fix this while FPP is running show...  Check out the wiki for a listing of common stuff. 

F16v1 you change at PORT level.  While I am at it.  Same goes for string direction and grouping.  It's never been easier with Falcon.  Download the utility and take a gander. 

It's pretty typical to get your show finally hooked up and find elements "off".  I usually have a mix of color order and string direction issues with new elements.  Make a few notes and tweak the utility until it's right. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

lightsonlinden

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 01:40:07 PM »
Speaking of String/Strip direction.... Again in my novice understanding everything has to be linear and flow one direction.   So for instance if I wanted to outline my garage door.  what is the ideal set up as in my mind I would start at the bottom of one side and it would go up and across and down - but what if I wanted to cause the nodes to light at the bottom on each side and step up and across to meet in the middle of the garage?  Not saying I want to do that but just asking.

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
Speaking of String/Strip direction.... Again in my novice understanding everything has to be linear and flow one direction.   So for instance if I wanted to outline my garage door.  what is the ideal set up as in my mind I would start at the bottom of one side and it would go up and across and down - but what if I wanted to cause the nodes to light at the bottom on each side and step up and across to meet in the middle of the garage?  Not saying I want to do that but just asking.

Why would it matter, have to unlearn the old Vixen and other mentality. At this point you can setup models in xlights however you like, so really mapping channels and moving them around is so easy at this point. Heck throw up lights, grab a table and chair sit in front of your house and run the test features to see where each light ended up, then map that in excel or other and setup your display objects with this random mapping :))
But really whatever makes running your power/data the cleanest is how you should run them

Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
Tory makes a great point and beat me to it. 

To me direction of the run is based upon nearest controller to keep lines easy to manage and has nothing to do with being linear.  All that matters is that sequencer and controller match. 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »

Don't confuse sequencing with string / strip direction.  Data always moves from the node closest to the controller to the other end of the string but the controller can be configured to act as if it were on the other end of the string.  Many controllers can also be configured to make sure that the color order is RGB, regardless of actual color order of the node.  This is all part of what is called mapping.  It is how the sequencer knows what channels control each node and what channel controls each color on the node.  It really doesn't matter what end of the string the controller is connected to, as long as the string is mapped correctly.  Then you can use the sequencing software to light the nodes in whatever color and order that you want and it will send out the commands in the proper order and timing to make that happen.

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »

Don't confuse sequencing with string / strip direction.  Data always moves from the node closest to the controller to the other end of the string but the controller can be configured to act as if it were on the other end of the string.  Many controllers can also be configured to make sure that the color order is RGB, regardless of actual color order of the node.  This is all part of what is called mapping.  It is how the sequencer knows what channels control each node and what channel controls each color on the node.  It really doesn't matter what end of the string the controller is connected to, as long as the string is mapped correctly.  Then you can use the sequencing software to light the nodes in whatever color and order that you want and it will send out the commands in the proper order and timing to make that happen.

Good points, you still can't ignore the input / output direction of the pixels/strips

Tory

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »
That depends on what you mean by ignore.  Once the strings are mapped properly, it really doesn't matter what side of the string the controller is on.  The only real issues on placing the controller should be wiring and accessibility.  The only issue with input / output direction along with node type and controller configuration is mapping the nodes properly.  Once that is done, the sequencing software will take care of what channels do what and at that point, with the possible exception of a string failure, the input / output direction of the strings is meaningless.