Author Topic: P10  (Read 11238 times)

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
  • Kudos: 0
P10
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
Can someone recommend or point me in the right direction to read up about these p10 panels and how they work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Re: P10
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »
search - in the upper right side of this screen for p10.. matrix etc.. you will have LOTS of posts about data to read up on them
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 01:36:18 PM »
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »
Guess what I'm really trying to find is that I see everyone talking about the falcon Pi player. Running the beagle bone. I'm wanting to see if the falcoln 16v2 is capable of driving the beaglebone black. That way I stay using my same show computer

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 03:15:48 PM »
The beaglebone black or green and the Pi will all run the 16v2. Any one of those along with the Fpp player can replace your show computer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 03:26:05 PM »
Guess what I'm really trying to find is that I see everyone talking about the falcon Pi player. Running the beagle bone. I'm wanting to see if the falcoln 16v2 is capable of driving the beaglebone black. That way I stay using my same show computer

F16v2 is driven by the falcon player which is usually on a Raspberry Pi.  The F16 does not "drive" anything unless you consider that it drives the lights connected to it.  The Falcon Player software is also installed on the Beagle Bone and drives the P10 panels thru an octoscroller cape, but the player on the BB is usually controlled via sync from a player "master" on a RPI.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
So if I'm not using a rasberry Pi. Then I won't be able to use the p10s?  Or can I use xlights or loght o rama on my show computer. With the f16v2 hooked to the network switch coming off Ethernet and the p10 connected to the f16v2

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
Or should I say run a beagle bone off the f16v2 with the p10s connect to the beagle Bone or octoscroller

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »
You need to do a lot more reading.  P10s are not connected to an F16v2.  They are connected to an octoscroller which is connected to a BB and maybe in the future to a RPI.  What is your objection to a RPI, we are talking about a really low cost unit.  $30 for the RPI alone.  For simplicity you can consider the BB as a more powerful RPI, but in effect they are both standalone computers that can drive lights.  And both are controlled by the Falcon Player software which is a limited version of Linux stripped down to be dedicated to running light shows.

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
No objection really. Just in a whole new learning curve right now almost like starting over going into the diy e1.31 world. Just don't know if I have time this year to learn to use a Pi. That's more learning on using changing sequences from LOR into xlights then getting into Pi run the show on top of learning to solder these pixels together and getting the f16v2's to work properly just slot to try to take in in one year I guess I'll just stick with the pixels and f16v2 and normal computer this year. And then look into learning how the Pi works with f16vw and beagle and p10s for next year.

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »

You need to do a lot more reading.  P10s are not connected to an F16v2.  They are connected to an octoscroller which is connected to a BB and maybe in the future to a RPI.  What is your objection to a RPI, we are talking about a really low cost unit.  $30 for the RPI alone.  For simplicity you can consider the BB as a more powerful RPI, but in effect they are both standalone computers that can drive lights.  And both are controlled by the Falcon Player software which is a limited version of Linux stripped down to be dedicated to running light shows.
[/quotes So using the beaglebone black to run the p10 panels and the. My actual computer to run the falcoln 16v2. That seems like two different computers and would get complicated to keep the show playing properly I would imagine lol I guess I'm just not wrapping my mind around all of it just yet

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
Yes, you can run a BBB/Octoscroller/P10, like a regular E1.31 device by placing the BBB into Bridge mode.  I think that is what your asking.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
Or should I say run a beagle bone off the f16v2 with the p10s connect to the beagle Bone or octoscroller

To run the P10 panels, you need either a BeagleBone Black running FPP with an Octoscroller PCB attached, or you can use one of Ron's E1.31 controllers which can have P10 panels attached to it.  If you go the BeagleBone route, you can run your show on the BeagleBone using FPP and control your other E1.31 equipment including a F16 v2.  You could instead run FPP in "bridge" mode and send it E1.31 data from your existing show computer.  This turns FPP and the BeagleBone/Octoscroller into an E1.131 to P10 bridge, similar to Ron's all-hardware solution.

xLights v4 uses the Falcon Player's .fseq file format as it's native file format, so if you convert to run on xLights, then you are converting to the same file format that the Falcon Player (FPP) would use.  Setting the Pi and BBB up are easy, we have users who don't know a thing about them before they get them in the mail and they are up and running in just a few hours.  FPP is that simple....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:36:04 PM by CaptainMurdoch »
-
Chris

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »

To run the P10 panels, you need either a BeagleBone Black running FPP with an Octoscroller PCB attached, or you can use one of Ron's E1.31 controllers which can have P10 panels attached to it.  If you go the BeagleBone route, you can run your show on the BeagleBone using FPP and control your other E1.31 equipment including a F16 v2.  You could instead run FPP in "bridge" mode and send it E1.31 data from your existing show computer.  This turns FPP and the BeagleBone/Octoscroller into an E1.131 to P10 bridge, similar to Ron's all-hardware solution.

xLights v4 uses the Falcon Player's .fseq file format as it's native file format, so if you convert to run on xLights, then you are converting to the same file format that the Falcon Player (FPP) would use.  Setting the Pi and BBB up are easy, we have people users who don't know a thing about them before they get them in the mail and they are up and running in just a few hours.  FPP is that simple....
ok that's making more sense now. So really for ease of simplicity I could off my network switch have one going to the f16v2 running all the pixels. Then have rons controller off another port running the p10s.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
ok that's making more sense now. So really for ease of simplicity I could off my network switch have one going to the f16v2 running all the pixels. Then have rons controller off another port running the p10s.

Yes, if you don't want to use FPP.  You can drive Ron's controller from anything that can send E1.31, including FPP, so if you later decide to switch to using FPP as your show player, you'll still be able to use the same P10 controller.