Author Topic: P10  (Read 10674 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
Re: P10
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
Hey Phil. I was not referring to p10's as Jon said he ran 1200 pixels from a f16v2.

All good :)

Interestingly though from another post by Gadget where he has measured 2.9A for 50 nodes, 1200 nodes would be 70A of current for 1200 nodes, three psu's at 12v or two at 5v.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2016, 06:57:56 PM »
Hey Phil. I was not referring to p10's as Jon said he ran 1200 pixels from a f16v2.

All good :)

Interestingly though from another post by Gadget where he has measured 2.9A for 50 nodes, 1200 nodes would be 70A of current for 1200 nodes, three psu's at 12v or two at 5v.
Those are Technicolor pixels, not the bullet style being used in his pixel matrix. I was confirming what he said in that the Technicolor pixels require more power than the bullet nodes.

To further muddy the waters... a single string of 50 12vbullet nodes draws 2.0 amps, so you might think that connecting two strings of 50 together to make a string of 100 would mean it will draw 4.0 amps... but it doesn't, likely due to voltage drop within the string itself. I'll report some findings soon, but don't want to derail this thread any further.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »
@Everyone.... has anyone got a "outdoor" panel and can confirm if there is any weatherproofing? All the photo's would indicate zero weatherproofing and it's just the brightness level that is greater to allow them to be used in full sunlight.

I know it's just anecdotal and not the answer to your question, but I wanted to mention that I was looking at some outdoor P10 panels today while researching the scan rate and I found some panels that actually had the gasket on the back side of the panel, so the front _appeared_ to be sealed somehow and when the panel was mounted, it would compress the gasket to the enclosure and seal it.

@ThatSameEveryone, if you do have an outdoor panel that is not 1/8 scan rate and still says HUB75 on it, can you do a little testing so we can try to get the 1/2 and 1/4 scan rates supported in FPP this year?  :)
-
Chris

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »
To further muddy the waters... a single string of 50 12vbullet nodes draws 2.0 amps, so you might think that connecting two strings of 50 together to make a string of 100 would mean it will draw 4.0 amps... but it doesn't, likely due to voltage drop within the string itself. I'll report some findings soon, but don't want to derail this thread any further.
why don't we start a new thread with a post for each person to add in actual measurements, I have a bunch, and yes your right, voltage drop will change the total draw, also the red/green/blue readings will always add up higher than white.

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2016, 08:40:07 PM »
I know it's just anecdotal and not the answer to your question, but I wanted to mention that I was looking at some outdoor P10 panels today while researching the scan rate and I found some panels that actually had the gasket on the back side of the panel, so the front _appeared_ to be sealed somehow and when the panel was mounted, it would compress the gasket to the enclosure and seal it.

If they don't also have a corresponding gasket on all four sides you still need to cover the front as we do for indoor panels as water will go between the panels

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2016, 09:25:15 PM »

If they don't also have a corresponding gasket on all four sides you still need to cover the front as we do for indoor panels as water will go between the panels

I think that by design water was allowed between the panels but the gasket around the border of the back side kept water from going behind where the exposed electronics were.

I didn't see an enclosure but what I pictured it would look like was a flat front surface almost like a solid piece of sheet metal with rectangular 280mm by 120mm holes cut into it with 6-8 screw holes lining the outside of the hole.  A panel would cover a hole and the gasket on the back of a panel would sit just outside the hole and  be pressed against the metal by the mounting screws tightening.

Offline Nathlthdude

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:36 PM »
I thought I saw someone ask him about these panels and the response was that the only difference was that the outdoor ones were waterproof, but I do not know if he has personally tested them with FPP to make sure the outdoor panels work.
I saw that too.  But I don't think they specifically asked about scan specs so he *may* have overlooked that.  Its still pre-sale right now and I don't think they've built up any of the full kits yet.  I'm also a bit fuzzy on the scroller he's offering.  I don't think its the original "octoscroller" but rather one of the other clones that have been popping up.  Since there isn't much to the scroller I wasn't too worried about that.  But this recent talk about scan differences between indoor and outdoor really has me wondering about compatibility.

What does all this scan stuff mean anyways?  Is it a reference to scan rate?  What's the difference between a panel with 1/8 scan and one with 1/4 scan?

According to the email I received from Todd (diyledexpress.com) the other day, they're both 1/2 wave

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2016, 11:27:20 PM »
According to the email I received from Todd (diyledexpress.com) the other day, they're both 1/2 wave

I just sent a message to Todd so that we can get this cleared up.  I will update the thread once I receive information from him concerning the scan rate on the panels.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »

I just sent a message to Todd so that we can get this cleared up.  I will update the thread once I receive information from him concerning the scan rate on the panels.
DIYLEDEXPRESS is selling the "outdoor" P10 panels. He doesn't list the scan specs.
http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=456

Am I reading here that these will not work with FPP?  He is selling individual panels as well as a full kit with BBB, Scroller, power  supply and cables.  I almost bought the full kit, but changed my order to just one outdoor panel for experimentation.  Now I wonder if I just bought a paperweight..

I am not sure.  I would hope that he had tested one of his kits, but since the full specs aren't available I don't know the specs on these outdoor panels.

I thought I saw someone ask him about these panels and the response was that the only difference was that the outdoor ones were waterproof, but I do not know if he has personally tested them with FPP to make sure the outdoor panels work.

Just a follow-up:

It turns out the outdoor panels are not 1/8 scan and therefore they have been removed from the DIYledexpress pre-sale.  Todd is emailing people to cancel or change orders to indoor panels.

[edited typo]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:25:32 AM by pixelpuppy »
-Mark

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »
I think you missed a "not" in that sentence, they are not 1/8 scan.

I saw Todd's post on another site and a user forwarded me a copy of the email that was sent out to people who ordered the outdoor panels.

I sent Todd a message asking if he has any of the outdoor panels on hand and if they are still HUB75 and if so could I borrow/get one to look at adding support to FPP for the scan rate these panels use.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »
I think you missed a "not" in that sentence, they are not 1/8 scan.
yes you are right.  I had it in my head but I typed it in wrong.  :-[   thanks for catching that, I have edited the initial post as to not confuse future readers.