Author Topic: Listen on demand speaker for pedestrians  (Read 1569 times)

Offline rcowan

• Kudos: 1
Listen on demand speaker for pedestrians
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:20:30 PM »
For those that transmit their audio through FM, has anyone thought about having some type of speaker for pedestrians?

Here is what I was thinking. At the edge of my property have some type of button on a pole or something. When pressed, the current audio would then play through a speaker(s). This would allow pedestrians to enjoy the show while not annoying my neighbors because the music is playing externally all night. I could keep the volume at respectable level. My thought was that after the current "set" it would reset to off and you'd have to push the button again then to activate it. This shouldn't be to difficult to setup with something like a RPi. It can even be set to not activate after a certain time if you live in an area with a noise ordinance.

What do you think? Has anyone done this yet?
Rick Cowan

Offline tripplett

• Kudos: 4
Re: Listen on demand speaker for pedestrians
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:42 PM »
I haven't done this but I was interested.  A fellow light enthusiast did something similar with one of those twist timers like they use for hot tubs and such.  He put it in a junction box at the street.  Pedestrians just twist for up to 60 minutes of audio.  You could control when it is available elsewhere.

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »
@captain.... maybe we could have a audio only slave unit with the audio enabled via a GPIO pin, a couple of computer speakers could provide the local audio....

Offline bigwavedave

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »
Could be even more simple... You could use the current video functionality, with no video output attached.  The button just activates mute/un-mute for the audio output?  You could get fancy and have a timer before muting again.  Just a thought...

Offline tripplett

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »
Here's a better view of what I was talking about.  He posts a sign that says to turn dial for walk up listening.  The dial clicks down and then the sound is turned off automatically.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »
Using a turn dial that is designed to do power

simplest way i think would be to use a mini fm radio in the box and use the headphone jack to run to speakers etc

The timer would turn on the power - radio picks up fm signal - timer counts down - turn off the power to the radio

Tony

Offline tripplett

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
Using a turn dial that is designed to do power

simplest way i think would be to use a mini fm radio in the box and use the headphone jack to run to speakers etc

The timer would turn on the power - radio picks up fm signal - timer counts down - turn off the power to the radio

Tony

I think the dial would work with audio or power since it's just a switch really.  I like your radio idea.  On another board I mentioned running the cheapest car stereo I could find (approx $17 @ Walmart) powering a few waterproof speakers or speakers like above - protected somewhat from elements.  I already have plenty of 12v out in the yard to power it and it only takes 3 amps of 12v.  That saves from running any speaker wire from the house.

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
This is a cool idea.    Seems pretty easy to do.   I don't know about others, but it seems there are always a few folks that want to get out and see the show up close, even though they may be blocking a little for others ... but its often the little ones and having a button to push would be really cool for them.  Even another button that maybe turns on some simple display items.   One of my teen daughters favorite things is watching the people dancing ... but esp. the little ones !!!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 11:51:49 PM »
@captain.... maybe we could have a audio only slave unit with the audio enabled via a GPIO pin, a couple of computer speakers could provide the local audio....

We still can't sync audio on remote systems and probably won't be able to do that this year.  You can do this already using events though.    When events fire on the master, they also fire on remotes.  You could use these events on the remote to start playing the mp3/ogg files manually and they would play unsynced.

One of my plans for FPP v2.0 is to allow the playlist to play unsynced media files on remote instances so you wouldn't have to create event scripts to do this.
-
Chris