Author Topic: Pixel Spinner/Star Burst  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
Pixel Spinner/Star Burst
« on: January 18, 2016, 08:13:11 AM »
I wanted to post some information about a prop I made last year in case others would be interested in building the same or similar.
Here is a link to all files, including photos and video. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-5kPtgWJjV9UFItT1ZhaHJnWW8

I've always liked the pixel spinners, or some call star bursts, but I didn't want something too big. The end result is a small footprint, very easy to install and take down, has a wreath like look, and very cheap to make.

I had them made by Boscoyo, http://boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2. James made them custom for me for approx. $8/ea. They are 21.5" diameter, the coro is 3/8" thick, and the overall depth is 2.5". The depth could possibly be reduced if you used flat pixels. I included some files that show specific node layout and placement.

Each one has 61 pixels. I used bullet pixels from HolidayCoro. Here are is a link for the lights along with links to other vendors that sell something similar.
http://www.holidaycoro.com/Smart-Pixel-LED-RGB-8mm-12mm-Nodes-12v-DC-p/711.htm
http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_44&products_id=267
http://pixelsequencing.mysimplestore.com/products/ws-2811-12v-smart-pixels-50ct

I've used both Vixen 3 and xLights 4. The props are very easy to make in Vixen, as they have this element built it. It's a little more difficult in xLights, as you have to make a custom model. I included the xlights model layout in the share link. I also included a demo sequence written in xLights (don't worry about the audio, just pick a song - I didn't sync to anything). I use both Vixen 3 and xLights 4, but xLights is really my go to now. Vixen has the ability to make several groups, which allows you to do unique effects based on those grouping. It is possible to do this in xLights as well. I demonstrated this in the file I shared. I was able to use the same effect in xLights, but apply to a different group/model and was able to achieve very different and unique results.

I install these in the middle of each window using tension rods (curtain rod). I got mine from Bed Bath & Beyond, but you can get them at several places. So, very quick to install and take down and no drilling or brackets required. We had several storms this year with high winds and no issues.
Here is a link:
Springs Window Fashions Adjustable 22-Inch 36-Inch Oval Spring Tension Curtain Rod in White
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/springs-window-fashions-adjustable-oval-spring-tension-curtain-rod/3241492?Keyword=Springs+Window+Fashions+Adjustable+22+Inch+%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93+36+Inch+Oval+Spring+Tension+Curtain+Rod+in+White

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Any feedback is welcome, I'm always up for hearing better ways to do things.

James
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:34:10 AM by Phrog30 »

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
Re: Pixel Spinner/Star Burst
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »
I got the following when clicking on your googledrive link:
Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.
The only link htat works for me is the holidaycoro link
Pat

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:35:01 AM »
I got the following when clicking on your googledrive link:
Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.
The only link htat works for me is the holidaycoro link
Pat

Yep, I broke all of the links when I copied from another forum.  They should all work now.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

James

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
nice work James, thanks for sharing.

I used Boscoyo snowflakes hanging under my arches last year, but I'm thinking this may work better.  Any thoughts on using this as a tree topper?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:33:39 AM by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »

Any thoughts on using this as a tree topper?

Yes, I did think about it, but thinking was as far as I got. ;D

One concern I had was if I mounted close it would cover up the top of the tree. However, if mounted higher so it wouldn't block the tree it may look weird.

Probably just need to do it and see what it looks like.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline VorpalSword

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »
How may one download your zip file?

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:04:37 PM »
How may one download your zip file?
When you click on the link you should see an arrow, you click on that to download.

I'm sorry, Google Drive makes it more difficult compared to Dropbox.

Let me know if that doesn't work. I tried it on my end and it did.

James

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »
The download came right down easy.  I moved the xlights stuff into a separate folder and brought up the demo sequence.  You have certainly hit on all the possibilities with all the models.  I never would have thought of making that many models for each spinner, but it sure makes for interesting sequencing choices. I was going to try your demo on a snowflake model but abandoned that as I don't use submodels on my snowflakes. I use just a single model for each of my snowflakes.

Offline VorpalSword

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »
Got it, thank you.

That impressed the heck out of me - thanks very much for sharing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:19:58 PM by VorpalSword »

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
The download came right down easy.  I moved the xlights stuff into a separate folder and brought up the demo sequence.  You have certainly hit on all the possibilities with all the models.  I never would have thought of making that many models for each spinner, but it sure makes for interesting sequencing choices. I was going to try your demo on a snowflake model but abandoned that as I don't use submodels on my snowflakes. I use just a single model for each of my snowflakes.
You bring up something, having multiple groups/models will make it tough to share sequences.

But, it sure does add more possibilities.

James

Offline L1011

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:18:23 PM »
This is GREAT thank you for sharing this!
Newbie for 2016 using FPP, F16v2r, F4v2, and WS2811 bullet pixels.

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »
Awesome, thank you for the great write up. PERFECT

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:42:57 PM »
Great idea! Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive package. I will definitely be adding a bunch of these to my 2016 show.

Paul.
Paul.
Halfmoon Bay, BC