Author Topic: 3 core extension cords w/quick connects -- what has your experience been  (Read 3480 times)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
I have always made my own cable with cat5 and the 3 core quick connector pigtails from Ray.
Even with these pigtails I have had some quality control issues with them, as least one year..

Ray is now selling 3 core extension cords in 5' , 10', 25' and maybe 50' lengths.
(1) If you have used them, What has been your experience with them?

(2)what lengths did you use or find most useful (if any)?

(3) Would you use them again or use something else / make your own ?

Thanks in advance, Scott / taybrynn

Online ocanada1

• Kudos: 0
Re: 3 core extension cords w/quick connects -- what has your experience been
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »
I have 2 of the 25' ones for the stars on my 2 mega trees, no problem but have read that others haven't had as good luck.  Mine were purchased in late 2014.  Anne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:10:35 AM »
I do test every single pigtail and extension cord.  That said the extensions have been good, the 3 core T's have been almost perfect.  His 2 core T's were 90% failure on my first order.  Some of the molding on my 3 core and 4 core t's have visible wires showing.

The shipping on the pre-made extensions adds up fast, but I ordered 10 of nearly all his sizes at the time.  I found the 5' and 10' to be the most useful and if he had 3' or 2' I would buy 10 of those too.

I ordered a lot of white thinking it would blend in with the snow, but honestly now that he has made the black the same size that will be the likely color I order from now on.  It blends in better even during the day than the white does. 

Distance to first node was a concern for me, but even driving off the original Zues 8 and between elements 10' has not been an issue for me. 

This year will order at least another 10 sets of 5, and 10' and perhaps a set of 5 25' or maybe 10.  With the uamp and F16v2, driving that distance is not an issue.

If you get around to ordering maybe we can do a group by and split up that shipping a bit.

Online rstehle

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
Ray also sells 3 core pigtails along with 100 meter rolls of the 3 core cable.  I bought a bunch of both last year and made my own custom length cables.  Another option.........

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 199
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
I have had better success with the extensions rather than the pigtails but they were also bought at different times so that is a big factor.

I did not buy any pigtails this year to do my windows and house outline, I instead bought a bunch of 5', 10', and 15' extensions and cut them as necessary to make the pigtails I did need.  It also made testing a breeze compared to pigtails.  I tested almost every single extension before using it, but I tested in batches of 5 or so by connecting 5 end to end and testing the group.  If it failed the test then I worked down to the extension level to find the bad one. I only found one bad extension out of the 50-60 that I used.  One more died during the display so the failure rate was pretty low.

This year I will order more of the 10' and 15' extensions because I had several places where I had to string together 2-3 or more of the 5' ones because I ran out of 10&15.  I currently have all white except for my flood lights but will probably order a mix of white and black this year since black blends into the grass better.
-
Chris

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 01:09:50 PM »
I have used the 3 and 4 wire waterproof connectors (pigtails) for several years and have never had a bad one.  Last year I bought 10 each or the 5ft and 10ft extensions  and 5 20ft.  Only used 1 20ft to get to my megatree star and used a couple of 10fts.  Used all the 5ft and wished I had more.  No failures in what I used.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Skunberg

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
I've used 5ft and 10ft 4 pin from DIYLedExpress.com without issue.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »
i have quite an investment in the 3 and 4 core cables / pigtails from Holiday coro. I'll be buying more in the pre-sale
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
Keep in mind that there are different diameter connections on these type of connectors, so not all of the extensions will work together.  Some of the pigtails that came with DLA smart sting controllers that I purchased a few years back don't fit with the extensions from DiyLEDExpress. (The extensions themselves fit with the connectors they sell which I have used on other controllers like the F16V2, and have not had any failures due to weather in rain or snow... only rabbits)  So make sure whatever you get, you double check the diameter.

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:11:56 PM »
Do the 3 core from Ray vary in size also ?    Everything I have is from Ray.   Had one batch a few years back that was 1/3 bad pigtails.   He did give me replacements at no cost .... But since zi didn't test them prior to using on boards ...  I  paid a high price and learned how critical testing is.   I love the idea of using extensions for pigtails and how easy they are to test !

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 41
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:12:58 PM »
Keep in mind that there are different diameter connections on these type of connectors, so not all of the extensions will work together.  Some of the pigtails that came with DLA smart sting controllers that I purchased a few years back don't fit with the extensions from DiyLEDExpress. (The extensions themselves fit with the connectors they sell which I have used on other controllers like the F16V2, and have not had any failures due to weather in rain or snow... only rabbits)  So make sure whatever you get, you double check the diameter.
It's not just diameter differences. The connectors are keyed so the correct pins mate with each other.  so even if you get the same diameter but from a different vendor they may not be keyed the same
-Mark

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 05:44:24 AM »
I purchased pigtails from diyledexpress, and another aliexpress vendor, and while the same outside dimension, and being keyed the same, the pins themselves are different sizes, so they are incompatible.

Offline Bill Ellick

• Kudos: 1
    • Long Lake Lights
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 06:37:25 AM »
Do the 3 core from Ray vary in size also ?    Everything I have is from Ray.   Had one batch a few years back that was 1/3 bad pigtails.   He did give me replacements at no cost .... But since zi didn't test them prior to using on boards ...  I  paid a high price and learned how critical testing is.   I love the idea of using extensions for pigtails and how easy they are to test !

It "seems" that Ray carries primarily 2 sizes of the connectors.  I have come across 13.5mm and 15mm on the AliExpress site (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/all-wholesale-products/701799.html) so there could possibly be more as well.
You will see the link to the two sizes about halfway down on the left side Category Bar. 
Bad enough to get different sizes but to also get them with the wiring different even in the same "batch" really makes you mad!
It is a shame that there is no real standard for things like these and now it seems that the American suppliers who carry these have opted to go for there own sizes as well?  I saw 12mm ones on one of the common sites on here but don't remember which vendor it was offhand.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 199
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »

and now it seems that the American suppliers who carry these have opted to go for there own sizes as well?  I saw 12mm ones on one of the common sites on here but don't remember which vendor it was offhand.

Two words, "vendor lock in".  Ok, maybe that should have been 3 words.  :)

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
At Ray's aliexpress store, it appears most of the black 3 core connectors are listed under "cable date" as .75mm and and most of the white 3 cor are listed as .5mm (or not specified at all).

I'm glad this was pointed out, because I've always used the white 3 core pigtails in the past and it appears the black ones would not have fit, but the white .5mm would !!

So I guess I'm staying with white, since I want everything to be consistent.