Author Topic: 3 core extension cords w/quick connects -- what has your experience been  (Read 3607 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
Re: 3 core extension cords w/quick connects -- what has your experience been
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 03:46:58 PM »
At Ray's aliexpress store, it appears most of the black 3 core connectors are listed under "cable date" as .75mm and and most of the white 3 cor are listed as .5mm (or not specified at all).

I'm glad this was pointed out, because I've always used the white 3 core pigtails in the past and it appears the black ones would not have fit, but the white .5mm would !!

So I guess I'm staying with white, since I want everything to be consistent.

The 0.75 and 0.5mm refer to the wire size used in the pigtail, nothing else. I've had white ship with .75mm wire as well.

I've got maybe 500 pigtails in use and never had a bad one, yeah jinxed myself now.

Offline bcstuff

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Bad enough to get different sizes but to also get them with the wiring different even in the same "batch" really makes you mad!
It is a shame that there is no real standard for things like these and now it seems that the American suppliers who carry these have opted to go for there own sizes as well?  I saw 12mm ones on one of the common sites on here but don't remember which vendor it was offhand.

diyledexpress uses 12mm connectors

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37&zenid=c547aa986bce65b7e93583fa3190a62b
-Brian
------------- 2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.  2016 - Grad School Stinks :( 2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminaries  Our Display Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Offline davetv102

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »
I purchased 40,  4 foot long 4 core cords and quick connectors from creative displays and experienced about a 60% failure rate for water intrusion in the connectors. I ended up having to check and dry out connectors after each rain. I emailed them about it and they assured me they have never had any complaints on their cords  ::)........... needless to say I had to fill connectors with dielectric grease to get through the rest of the season. Will be looking elsewhere for some better quality connectors for this seasons use.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
For those of you who are reporting water intrusion, do your connectors have the O-ring attached?  I've received some shipments with the O-rings already installed and other batches where the O-rings were in a separate bag and I had to install them.

(see red-ring in pixture below..)
-Mark

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »
There are two lessons I've learned regarding pigtails.

First, be sure when the pigtails are pushed together that the o-ring is being compressed. Do not rely on the nut to draw the two connectors together. Some of them required a LOT of force to get the o-ring to compress as they were a very tight fit. The plastic nut and threads just don't have enough strength to get tight connectors to compress the oring and make the connection water proof/resistant.

Two. Don't use just electrical tape to cover the area where the pigtail gets soldered to the light string/wire, etc.  Use adhesive lined shrink wrap to be sure it's watertight.

All my failures have come from theses two issues.

As always, YMMV.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »
I'd suspect most water is entering where the wires exit the sheath. Capillary action will draw water uphill. Very strong. A syringe injection of sealant or even CorrosionX  between conductors would be perfect

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 12:46:12 PM »
I got a shipment of 3 core connectors from Ray once without the red things ... later he included them in a little baggy along with the igtails.   But I never really had a problem with them either way with or without the red, sometimes I didn't bother installing them (I know, I SHOULD have!). 

My issues the one year was with connects that did not make a connection on one wire (mainly) ... and after removing and testing them, I could verify no connection was made, but not because of waterproofing, more of a mfg defect.

I prefer to use one vendor for all things, even though Ray has at times been a little slow ... he's what I know and have used ... and all the 3 core connectors have worked fine over the years, at least they were the same size.

So I'm hearing the internal wire size may be different on some of these black connectors, but basically they should all play well together (Ray only 3 core) -- regardless of whether they are .5 or .75 cable size ?   Thanks Phil !

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 06:57:37 PM »
I'd suspect most water is entering where the wires exit the sheath. Capillary action will draw water uphill. Very strong. A syringe injection of sealant or even CorrosionX  between conductors would be perfect
Wish I had a picture. This thought crossed my mind, but I dismissed it as it didn't seem possible with the way the connectors were located.  My taped ends (exposed to the weather) were also wrapped upwards,  rather than downwards.  I had two failures in this same spot (different strings). This year when removing lights I was careful to examine connectors, which is why I found the second bad one.  Might try dissecting the cable to see if I can see the cause after you mention capillary action.

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 08:27:56 PM »
To add to what's already been said, I've had issues with water and my extension cables. I didn't get mine from ray, but from HolidayCoro. Some of the cables that failed weren't cut, I was actually using them as extension cables. The fit was good, oring present, nut tight. I later did a test where I took 10 cables and connected each end, then put the connectors under water, half had water in them.

Just my experience.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 10:41:24 PM »

I'd have to agree despite my first thought being "rubbish" :) .......... I've had connectors with and without (occasionally) O-rings living in water during heavy rain with no sign of water intrusion....
However, all the connections from the pigtails to wiring are fully sealed with silicon filled heat shrink joints usually two layers.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »

I'd have to agree despite my first thought being "rubbish" :) .......... I've had connectors with and without (occasionally) O-rings living in water during heavy rain with no sign of water intrusion....
However, all the connections from the pigtails to wiring are fully sealed with silicon filled heat shrink joints, usually two layers.

Exactly !!

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:10 AM »
If you are looking for high quality pigtails and extensions.  They are not completely outrageous from Minleon.  They are NOT at Ray pricing what so ever, but they have a variety of sizes and they fit very well together and do not require extremes in force to compress the o-rings and tighten up the hard plastic nuts.

They sell a pack of pigtails that are white for their flex strips to be custom cut and extended, or you can pick up the short 1' extensions and cut ends off those if you want to match colors or wire styles.

I have a mix of both since I had Minleon on my "mega tree" and used them on my "mini mega" when I got it set up after Christmas.  If money was not the main consideration, would definitely go with just those.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »

However, all the connections from the pigtails to wiring are fully sealed with silicon filled heat shrink joints, usually two layers.

Exactly !!

Ah, so we agree.  When I first read your post I thought you were saying it might be getting in between the jacket and the molded plug end (not sure why I thought that after re-reading? too many beers I guess. lol)

I like the idea of injecting some silicon down the open end of the pigtail, and using adhesive lined shrink wrap on top of that.  I'm a little concerned as one end is the flat 3-wire from a GECE string, joining the round jacket of the pigtail.