Author Topic: Ray can do custom spacing?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
Ray can do custom spacing?
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:53:26 PM »
I thought Ray could do custom spacing (or even custom pieces).  On my 5th order with Ray I thought I would try it out and it has been a disaster.  I requested the ProForma on 18 Feb and the strings I got this weekend are still wrong.  I sent clearly labeled pictures of what spacing I wanted in certain spots and then the rest of the string was supposed to be the standard 100mm spacing (white bullet type).  He got the certain spots close enough but the standard spacing part he did at 80mm (majority of the string) - they're useless.  Anybody else having trouble with Ray lately?
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Ray can do custom spacing?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
Every order I have had with Ray was great. I have had many with custom spacing. Sorry to hear you had problems. Sounds like there was a communication gap somehow. I also never use the term standard spacing because I have got strings with so called "standard spacing" that were different. Now a specify everything.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:19:35 AM »
I'm still struggling with my latest flex strip issue and all my red LEDs failing. His engineering team has been looking at it since I delivered just before the Chinese New Year. At least he still is apparently looking into my problem. We will see. The point though of my message (outside of the vent) is that shipping items back to Ray will cost you more than the lights themselves. Perhaps your lights are useless to you, but maybe they will be good for someone else? If you want perhaps between you/me/Ray we can come to some sort of closure as I'm giving up on the flex strips and going to use P10 panels for my matrix now and the bullet nodes for the rest of my show...perhaps Ray can get you some "new" lights, and I can buy your nodes? 3 or 4 " spacing for me won't make any differences at all....

if you want to discuss, PM me or flip me an email.... 10ryan    lucas      at    gmail --   dot  --  com  (slight obfuscated for bots)
Ryan

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »
I have been frustrated with Ray in the past as well.....HOWEVER he has ALWAYS made good with me in the end. As far as shipping back to him, I had some flex strips that were bad a couple years ago and he asked me to ship them back to him. At first he asked me to pay the shipping, but I firmly let him know that I would not pay the shipping on his defective items and in the end he paid shipping and took care of my issues. The shipping had to cost him more that the the strips cost him. Sometimes you just have to stay on top of it and don't let him "forget" it. Good luck and I hope that he will make good with both you and Ryan. I have no problem, actually am getting ready to order more custom nodes and am not worried at all about it.

Roger

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »
It has been noticed on some other boards that this time of year Ray has a lot of new employees after the Chinese New Year, I've wondered if it would be wise to wait a few more months for them to get more skilled before putting in orders.

Dave has noted price drops are normally late spring early summer too.

Alan

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:58:02 PM »
I have to agree with Roger that Ray has in the past been good with me in the end too...except I wasn't as firm about the shipping cost part. Good to know for future negotiations (should the need ever arise!). I do plan on using him in the future, and I hope his shipping times have picked up a notch...I usually book vacation time around delivery time and a week or two delay in shipping throws off the plans - sometimes I actually have to work on the honey-do-list instead of lights on my vacation time. UGH!!!! I can't blame that on Ray ...or can I <grin>

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »
Well...looks like Ray is once again coming through for me. Stand up guy.

That said, I'm probably going to stay away from flex strips - they just don't seem to work for me. Must be a Canadian thing :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 04:33:02 PM »
Well...looks like Ray is once again coming through for me. Stand up guy.

That said, I'm probably going to stay away from flex strips - they just don't seem to work for me. Must be a Canadian thing :)
Too far north. Interference from the Northern Lights, probably :)

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 01:15:35 PM »
In the end, as he always does, Ray made them right and shipped at no charge.  Sometimes it's just a matter of persistence.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »
Yes...yes Ray is good that way.

I was able to resolve my issue with replacement product as well. I've put my flex strip plans on hold for a few years and watch how others make out with them, and will stick with the pixels and p10 panels for the time being in my show, but will experiment with other new products. Ray is replacing my strips with panels and the dollar amount is generally close enough for me to say it's a 100% stand behind his product. I am just adding a couple hundred metre of 4 strand wire and that stuff is CRAZY heavy and shipping costs are cheap these days. Fingers crossed that in 14 days I have some new panels to really get to end of job on for my display and can start posting pictures of how i've landed on mounting.