Author Topic: TLC59711 Compatability  (Read 1254 times)

Offline enigmabox

• Kudos: 0
TLC59711 Compatability
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
To start things off, I am extremely new to the pi.  I am also new to Christmas light automation.  The past 2 years I have been using 2 arduino megas and Vixen 3 on my laptop to run my show.  I am now making the switch to Falcon on a Raspberry pi 2.  I have managed to get my 16 channel relay board I use on my singing trees to respond well, but I was also hoping to use some of my other existing hardware.  I have an Adafruit 16 channel PWM Led driver that has a SPI interface (TLC59711), and was wanting to continue to run my dumb LEDs from this driver since I have already built my "dumb led controller box" using this driver.  Is it possible to control this LED driver directly from my pi, or do I need to continue using my arduino connected to the pi as generic serial.  I had other plans for this arduino if I could take it out of my show.  Keep in mind, I am an amateur with limited funds.  Thanks in advanced for any help that can be offered.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: TLC59711 Compatability
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
FPP doesn't currently support this chip, but based on the spec and example code at Adafruit, it looks like it would be easy enough to add a new Channel Output class to FPP to support it.

I made a ticket in our github so I see if we can get this into FPP v2.0 later this year.

https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/issues/203

For now, you will have to use the generic serial output.
-
Chris