Author Topic: How would you do this?  (Read 988 times)

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
How would you do this?
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:01:22 PM »
I already have these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20pcs-DC12V-5050-LED-RGB-dump-module-IP67-rated-0-72W-high-brighness/701799_1742427172.html

What I want to do is have a controller with power connecting directly to about 6 of these...if the power was built into the controller that would be even better but it is by no means a requirement.  I need the controller to be able to operate independently and have the ability to change the color of the dumb RGB modules based on the time of day...so it would need some basic schedule capabilities with a clock.  Really simple, I just don't know the simplest & cheapest way to do this.  Was hoping that maybe one of you would have some wisdom to share here.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
How would you do this?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »
You know what my answer is going to involve. :)

How about a Pi zero (or A+) running FPP with a simple 4-channel (solid state) relay board, 12V power supply, and buck converter to get 5V power for the Pi from the 12V source for the lights.
-
Chris

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: How would you do this?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
I was thinking a Pi __ (fill in the blank) with a NRF transceiver to a Komby RF_12 with a RGB sketch.  This would give full color range of the dumb string, and be wireless.

There are other wired options like Pi __ (fill in the blank) > cheap USB serial dongle (DMX out), to a DMX RGB controller (like sold on Holidaycoro and such), or an arduino device running DMX to RGB sketch, etc...

Not sure, but I thought I read Chris looking into DMX directly from GPIO?  If so, that would remove the USB dongle from that senario.

I'm sure there are more ideas...

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »
Yes, DMX out works on the Pi's onboard serial in the master branch but you will need an adapter with the rs485 chip on it.  That and a 3-channel dumb RGB controller from Ray or HolidayCoro would work fine, it is actually one of the test setups on my desk.

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 9
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
Thanks for your feedback everyone.  The FPP would work, but I need something a bit more resilient to potentially being improperly shutdown and completely unmanaged in remote locations.  I can't trust that the FPP would be that resilient and able to handle that type of activity due to the fact that I wouldn't be controlling, monitoring or managing it.  This will be expected to just work at all times.  This is going to be used in a display case for a client of mine and possibly for 100's of displays.  I should have added that requirement to the original post...sorry.  Thank you all again though for your detailed responses...they were very helpful.  If I needed something with more brains for controls behind it, the FPP would definitely be my next choice.

In case anyone is interested I had also sent a message to Ray Wu on this.  He had something that would suit my needs just fine - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TC420-Programmable-time-led-controller-can-customize-schedule-mode-by-PC-with-USB-port/312912_1142868221.html