Author Topic: Note to say HI  (Read 1806 times)

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
Note to say HI
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »
Things finally slowing down after Halloween, so just thought I'd poke my head in to say HI.  I've been scarce to nonexistent over at DLA since the SSCV3 blow-up - don't really see that changing, but it will be fun to soak up some technical knowledge over here.  Looking forward to doing lots of reading and hopefully getting the Christmas show off the table this year! 

Hope everyone is on the way to having a great holiday season!
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Note to say HI
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »
Things finally slowing down after Halloween, so just thought I'd poke my head in to say HI.  I've been scarce to nonexistent over at DLA since the SSCV3 blow-up - don't really see that changing, but it will be fun to soak up some technical knowledge over here.  Looking forward to doing lots of reading and hopefully getting the Christmas show off the table this year! 

Hope everyone is on the way to having a great holiday season!

Corey I am still using your SSCv3 Mod on all 80 of my SSC's. Thank you so much for that mod. We welcome any and all of your input at Falcon Christmas. We are lucky to have you.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
Did I miss a mod? I need a link!

sent from my Galaxy Note

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
I'm also interested in the back story regarding the DLA stuff going on... 

I didn't hear of a mod.  What does it do?
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
I'm also interested in the back story regarding the DLA stuff going on... 

I didn't hear of a mod.  What does it do?

Corey was the one who took the time and effort to troubleshoot and figure out why the SSCv1 and SSCv2 was having problems with reflection. He outlined the problem in a thread with great detail and o-scope pics that made things crystal clear. He then sent out an email or pm to many of us describing a fix (The Mod - I think it was called WarpDrive) and also supplied a text file that if someone wanted to cheat could change the extension to .hex and upload to their modded ssc.

Well.... All this did not go over to well and he spent some time being scolded.

Well after two to four revisions later the  new approved ssc3 looks very similar to Corey's original mod. In fact they use the same pins. Falcon firmware was made to support Corey's mod and after a few revisions of DLA's firmware that began to work with Falcon firmware too. So if you have modded to DLA's SSCv3 you are close to Corey's mod anyway.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
Thanks for the story...

and THANKS, Corey!! 

Its a shame that "some people" take suggestions as criticism and are not open to making things better  -- regardless of the source.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:17 AM »
Corey,
Just want to give you a huge thank you!  I too used your mod on all my SSCs.  It was the only version of SSC that worked on my flex strips.  Doesn't hurt that the fading on your version was excellent too. 

I was not aware of the scuttlebut... 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:53:49 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, gents.   The 'thanks' aren't really needed, but you all (and other users on DLA) are entirely welcome.  I didn't even do that much, really.  The 'doing' was easy, it was the 'getting the powers that be to see the light' which was the hard part!

Dave summed up the back story pretty well, so I won't go into a bunch of the gory details.  But those are the underlying basics...as far back as the problems came up with SSCV1, I made a couple of posts detailing what I saw, but was pretty quickly introduced to the 'No technical talk' policy and the posts were deleted.  I figured at least RJ had seen the issue identified in my post and could work to fix it.

Then the SSCV2 came out and it didn't even seem to work as well as the V1.  So I took some time to dive into the circuit, figure out what was going on and why.  Unfortunately, the board had both hardware and firmware level issues, so I tried to talk with RJ directly, but he didn't even want to talk in private about the issues and said all was working as expected.

So based on that, I came up with a simple mod which people could try - or revert back if they didn't like it (no cutting traces, etc) - and emailed to the group who were on the 'issues' thread.  RJ got wind of it pretty quick - which was somewhat the idea anyway - I was scolded again for the 'techno talk'' and he still wouldn't discuss the actual issues.  But soon after, suddenly he came up with the 'SSCV3' mod.  His first couple of tries still had issues, but after a few rounds of additional 'not discussing it' he finally got it pretty close to what I had outlined.  So at least the folks of DLA had a decent SSC for all their hard earned money spent.  Which was my ultimate goal.

Sadly, with the SSCV4, he reverted right back to many of the same issues!  It's not up to SSCV3 performance levels from what I can see, but marginally better than a V1 - which I think is good enough to run most strings as long as you keep the v4 pretty close to the first node. 

The main benefit of the V4 PIC is being available in a tiny TSSOP-14 package.  Using that as a base and stripping away all the junk on the board you don't really need, I have a 'theoretical' SSC in board layout which is about the size of a postage stamp and that is including a Cat5 connector and a true 'driver' section for data output - which makes the total package about 3/4 inch cube.  If you wanted to solder the Cat5 directly to the board, you could do away with the connector, then you have an SSC board barely any bigger than a standard node.  Ironically, you would have a rock solid SSC which 'could' probably be 15+ feet away from a node...but with the board so small, it would barely be a thumb sized 'lump' in the wire, so you could put right by the node and don't have to worry about the 'pipe bomb' anymore!

Anyway - looking forward to getting Christmas off the ground and seeing what new ideas pop up!

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »
welcome over Corey, I love the technical talk, you just have to go back to sticks and stones to drag me along.  I've never got my head around how a computer can start running code as soon as it's turned on since there is nothing to flip the transistors to start unless you can hard code the logic gates to specific state to begin with.

Where do I send my money for the no pipe bomb version?   ;D  And while you are at it, I need something so rock solid I can put it in a "real" mega tree 60' in the air and never touch it again! :o

Alan

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
Corey. Very interested in your design for SSC. I would be more then willing to host a coop for the new board. I would also be willing to purchase and order the boards directly if could supply gerbers.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 06:01:15 PM »
There goes my wallet again.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
i'd eagerly jump into a corey/pitts ssc++ coop!!

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
+1 I would be very interested!!! Looking forward to next year already!!! (In more ways than one!)

Offline gforman

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »
++ for me also sounds like the right way to go.

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
Sounds like there is some interest, so I will keep plugging away at the project.  I have the main components on hand.  What I'd like to do is etch a few boards here at home and solder them up, then get them on the scope to see how it performs.  May not work worth a cent!  But if things work the way they should, then it would be time to discuss the final form and functions.  Once the design proves out, then maybe a small run of professionally made prototype boards.

At this scale, it's going to be a fully surface mount board, and I have no clue on cost.  The actual components are pretty cheap - generally cheaper than through-hole parts and the board real estate is pretty cheap, too - less than a square inch per controller.  But being so tiny, it may be out of the physical realm for anyone to solder without a microscope... hope they wouldn't get too costly if a board house does the component placement?

Once I get a bit ironed out, I will start a thread and we can discuss further.