Author Topic: One or Two Wifi Routers?  (Read 985 times)

Offline bravado67

• Kudos: 0
One or Two Wifi Routers?
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »
I am considering updating my home wifi router from a Netgear N600 to a workhorse that can handle my home network and my light show with FFP and Pi setup. Thoughts and recommendations? My service averages 300Mbps down and 20Mbps up if that even helps.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
Re: One or Two Wifi Routers?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »
I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti WiFi gear. I have four of their UniFi AP AC access points instead my house, one UniFi AP AC Outdoor access point outside the house, and a dedicated non-wireless router (a SonicWall). The Ubiquiti products are little more expensive that the normal stuff you see in the home environment and my implementation is probably on the high end. 802.11AC which uses the 5GHz band does not have the same distance as the older protocols which can use 2.4GHz which drove having so many access points. If you use the UniFi products you'll need to run a UniFi controller somewhere but its just a software app that helps with the configuration and monitoring (they do sell a dedicated UniFi controller called UniFi CloudKey).

I just got my hands on one of their PicoStationM2HP access points and like what I see so far. Its indoor or outdoor but is limited to 2.4GHz b/g/n. It can work standalone with its own built-in web GUI so you don't need the UniFi controller.

Given your bandwidth of 300Mbps, you'll need 802.11AC in areas you are using that but in areas with only show equipment you could go with lesser access points to save money.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline bravado67

• Kudos: 0
Re: One or Two Wifi Routers?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »
I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti WiFi gear. I have four of their UniFi AP AC access points instead my house, one UniFi AP AC Outdoor access point outside the house, and a dedicated non-wireless router (a SonicWall). The Ubiquiti products are little more expensive that the normal stuff you see in the home environment and my implementation is probably on the high end. 802.11AC which uses the 5GHz band does not have the same distance as the older protocols which can use 2.4GHz which drove having so many access points. If you use the UniFi products you'll need to run a UniFi controller somewhere but its just a software app that helps with the configuration and monitoring (they do sell a dedicated UniFi controller called UniFi CloudKey).

I just got my hands on one of their PicoStationM2HP access points and like what I see so far. Its indoor or outdoor but is limited to 2.4GHz b/g/n. It can work standalone with its own built-in web GUI so you don't need the UniFi controller.

Given your bandwidth of 300Mbps, you'll need 802.11AC in areas you are using that but in areas with only show equipment you could go with lesser access points to save money.
I've installed a Netgear Nighthawk X8. My range and speed is off the charts! With tri-band and 8 antennas I should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk