Author Topic: Pixel PiHat rev. B group buy  (Read 21962 times)

Offline darrell575

• Kudos: 1
Pixel PiHat rev. B group buy
« on: February 29, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »
It's long overdue, but finally we can sink our chops into it!! Special thank you to the PiHat development team Clyde, Andy, and myself are very happy with this little guy and can't wait to get them in your hands.

Attached is the link to the Group Buy. We will invoice shipping once the boards are ready to ship out!!

So get ready to control a couple of universes, make you a portable light up jacket, or even add your indoor Christmas tree as part of your dispaly and control it with this little guy and a Pi!!!

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/pixel-pihat-rev-b/

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Pixel PiHat rev. B group buy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »
does this work with the FPP? ...the assumption is there, but just want to be clear. (video shows this to be YES)

also, will there be an RTC version of this available anytime soon?

will this support 5v pixels only?  (reading into this, but it seems if I removed the jumper supplying power to the Pi, then I could power the Pi through the USB port, and use the Hat's connector to supply 12v... right?)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:29:52 PM by Steve Gase »
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks for running this.

I don't want to detract from sales of this board but want to let users know of options so they can make sure they get a board with the functionality they need.  Ron has also created a hat for the Pi which has two ws281x outputs, a RTC, a rj45 for serial output for DMX or PixelNet, and a power regulator so the board and pixels can be powered by higher than 12V.

I am not sure if he will do a group buy or just offer the board design for users to get made.

Both of these boards are great options for FPP users running on a Pi and will allow FPP to fit into even more places and uses.

Stick one of these Pixel PiHat boards on a Pi with wireless done or the Pi v3 with built in wireless and you can have a few hundred pixels anywhere in the yard (or your neighbors yard) for well under $100.  We need someone with a large pixel power injection setup to test the FPP code to see if we can drive even more pixels per output than we currently allow.  If not maybe I'll have to use one of my power injection boards to setup a test once I get those in hand.  :)

2016, another huge leap forward for FPP.  :)
-
Chris

Offline russellmcfarland

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:25:01 PM »
I'm in for 3.  I'd be interested in seeing what Ron has to offer as well.  Competition makes everything better.  Good stuff, guys.  Thanks for continuing to push our Hobby forward.

Offline deacon

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »
Ordered one thanks! Looking forward to trying this out with some wearable projects.

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:03 AM »
will this support 5v pixels only?  (reading into this, but it seems if I removed the jumper supplying power to the Pi, then I could power the Pi through the USB port, and use the Hat's connector to supply 12v... right?)

Supports both 5v and 12v.  Clyde posted video last night to show 12v running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcodtd4Vfk
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
We need someone with a large pixel power injection setup to test the FPP code to see if we can drive even more pixels per output than we currently allow.  If not maybe I'll have to use one of

What is the code limit now?  I've got 1800 pixels hanging here from my ceiling, ready to put them to the test.  Do you want to see a B+ or a V2; both?  Two outputs or just one?  Test from master branch code?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »

What is the code limit now?  I've got 1800 pixels hanging here from my ceiling, ready to put them to the test.  Do you want to see a B+ or a V2; both?  Two outputs or just one?  Test from master branch code?

I think it is set to 400 pixels in the UI but the backend code has no hard limits, so you could edit the /home/fpp/media/channeloutputs file and bump the pixel counts and channel count up and see what the max is.  I don't know if there will be much difference between the Pi models but you need a B+ or v2 to drive two strings.  I would try one and two outputs to see if one output can drive more than two combined or vice versa.  Testing from a B+ would be good since that should be the minimum but testing from the v2 as well will let us know if the faster CPU and extra cores let the v2 support more pixels.  If that is true then the v3 might support even more than the v2.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »

I think it is set to 400 pixels in the UI but the backend code has no hard limits, so you could edit the /home/fpp/media/channeloutputs file and bump the pixel counts and channel count up and see what the max is.  I don't know if there will be much difference between the Pi models but you need a B+ or v2 to drive two strings.  I would try one and two outputs to see if one output can drive more than two combined or vice versa.  Testing from a B+ would be good since that should be the minimum but testing from the v2 as well will let us know if the faster CPU and extra cores let the v2 support more pixels.  If that is true then the v3 might support even more than the v2.

Thanks Chris.  Editing that file manually is doing the trick.

I'm posting results of the max pixel limits here (it's a WIP)
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4555.msg48068.html#msg48068

Offline harrison0550

• Kudos: 8
    • Soddy Daisy Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »
Due to several emails and Facebook posts I was asked to add an RTC and the power regulator/buck directly on the board. So I did both night before last and we sent it off to the board house for a prototype run. We should have it back next week some time and start testing. If all testing goes well the RevB boards will all be upgraded to the RevC with the additional options but without the components. Users can just add what they want to utilize on top of the basic fully assembled board. We will also look at sourcing the components and assembly as well like I did for the power Distro boards. Will have some more info next week and a new video with the new upgrades to the FPP allowing all those pixels!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline clydel

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »
Captain, is there a way to show us non-coding people how to adjust our limits in our Pi's?  We want to test it out too :D

Thanks Gadgetsmith for going forward with the FPP Pixel count testing.  I'm no programmer and have no clue how to go and hard code the pixel count for my purposes :)  Just hoping the Captain can add that into the next release of the FPP...

I do have one other thing I'd like to bring up... the color order of the FPP is set to GRB... anyway we can change that??? like have the 6 different available output types added into it?  Can it be a dropdown box beside the GPIO 18/19 labels in the OTHERS TAB?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 06:53:06 PM »
Per the other thread on this issue, looks like the better bet is to change from FPP v1.7 to the master-v1.x branch

Also in the master-v1.x branch, it allows changing the color order that you ask for

I've removed my manual instructions for FPP v1.7   It is a waste of time. Either wait for v1.8 or go with the master-v1.x branch that does it all for you.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 07:14:56 PM by JonB256 »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »
I will get the limit bumped up in master and master-v1.x.

Offline harrison0550

• Kudos: 8
    • Soddy Daisy Christmas Lights
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 10:30:32 PM »
Just got mine up and running driving my 532 pixel matrix off the FPP with a pixel pi hat and power Distro board. Amazing! I'm blown away at how well this works. Great job!
http://youtu.be/ILFumLskMZ4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 11:07:43 PM »
The limit has been bumped up to 1000 pixels per output in the master-v1.x and master branches.