Author Topic: Pixel PiHat rev. B group buy  (Read 21036 times)

Offline harrison0550

• Kudos: 8
    • Soddy Daisy Christmas Lights
Re: Pixel PiHat rev. B group buy
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »
This is amazing! I currently have 7 j1sys P2's in my display that ran me around $75 each if I remember correctly. If I wanted to I could use a B+ at $20 from microcenter. A power Distro board at $11.50 and a Pi Pixel Hat at $13 for a total of $44.50 to give me an awesome little controller that rivals the P2. Of course since I know the guy that makes 2 of those boards I bet I could get a discount. Ha. I'm blown away with how great this works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 12:08:54 AM »
Due to several emails and Facebook posts I was asked to add an RTC and the power regulator/buck directly on the board. So I did both night before last and we sent it off to the board house for a prototype run. We should have it back next week some time and start testing. If all testing goes well the RevB boards will all be upgraded to the RevC with the additional options but without the components. Users can just add what they want to utilize on top of the basic fully assembled board. We will also look at sourcing the components and assembly as well like I did for the power Distro boards. Will have some more info next week and a new video with the new upgrades to the FPP allowing all those pixels!

this is great!  at the store it still shows revB.  If I order revB will it be changed to revC?
i'm also interested in the pre-assembled RTC/buck converter.  when can I get on that list? 
thanks again!
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 12:14:38 AM »
Yes. Darrell is out of town with his kids this weekend. He will update the store info when he gets back. First things first is to test the RevC prototype when it comes in. If it is all good then when we make the final board run at the end of the group buy we will just run them all as RevC boards. No reason to run the revB design if we improved it. As for assembled cost of course we still have to test the RevC version first then I will start my research for suppliers of components and get an estimate for assembly etc and update the store with a fully assembled version. Shouldn't take to long. I had all the pricing locked down on the power Distro boards in less than 2 weeks. Should be able to lock all this down in about the same time frame.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 11:17:14 PM »
Due to several emails and Facebook posts I was asked to add an RTC and the power regulator/buck directly on the board. So I did both night before last and we sent it off to the board house for a prototype run.
this is great!  at the store it still shows revB.  If I order revB will it be changed to revC?
i'm also interested in the pre-assembled RTC/buck converter.  when can I get on that list? 
thanks again!

I agree this is great!  Now that we know the pixel limit is higher than originally suspected, it would be super great if the two boards (Pi Pixel Hat and Power Distro) could be combined.  Not sure if there is enough room for all 6 power Distro outlets but maybe the existing two WS281x outputs plus 4 power-only outputs.  I would be fine with omitting the WS2801 output to make more room for power Distro.   Just a thought  ::)
-Mark

Offline darrell575

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 06:34:56 PM »
Introduction to the Pixel PiHat RevC design

https://vimeo.com/158689370

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 06:36:30 PM »

Offline markrvp

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 05:42:44 AM »
I checked my mailbox but the two I ordered weren't in it.  I'll just stand by the mailbox until they arrive  ;)

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »

Offline b33son

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 01:19:05 AM »
I couldn't find an explanation anywhere about what situations the RTC is needed. I'm trying to determine whether I need to upgrade to the deluxe version.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 01:47:45 AM »
I couldn't find an explanation anywhere about what situations the RTC is needed. I'm trying to determine whether I need to upgrade to the deluxe version.
the pi and bbb and similar units do not know the time when they are powered on.
if you have a network connection (wired or wireless) then you should be able to connect to the internet and get the time from a time server.

when you don't have a network connection, then the fpp (pi/bbb) does not know the time and either need you to connect to provide the time -- which is gone the next time you lose power -- or you need a RTC.  this is a battery-operated device, much like you have installed on your desktop computer.  the battery powers a chip that keeps track of time (reasonably well, but not perfectly).  when the computer is powered up, it gets the time from the chip.

if you have a standalone prop using this pihat, you'll want a RTC most likely.

Online algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »

If there is no internet connection then you need a clock.
With the PiHat opening up a whole new ability to put props out by themselves - practically anywhere, the chances of there not being a connection has been increased.

We are building trees for stand-a-lone displays that will be self-running.  They definitely will need a clock.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »
I may be wrong, but its my understanding that you only need the Real Time Clock if there is no internet connection AND you need to run sequences on a specific time/date schedule.

In other words, a standalone FPP with a playlist that loops continuously or is triggered by some other event doesn't need a Real Time Clock.

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
Correct. You also do not need a clock if you are running the FPP in remote mode or bridge mode. You really only need the clock for the main master pi.

Offline dink911

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »
Is it possible to run 24v ( I think i saw buck converter is for 12v to 5v)?

Wanted to use the hat to run 20w floods which require 24v so can the buck converter handle that or be switched out?

If it can be switched out any ideal on a model number?

Thanks,
Steven G

Offline Bill Ellick

• Kudos: 1
    • Long Lake Lights
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »
Sorry for my stupid answer!  I thought I was in a different thread and not this one.  Doh!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:56:17 PM by Bill Ellick »