Author Topic: Enclosures  (Read 2711 times)

Offline ebrown19721972

• Kudos: 1
Enclosures
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:28 AM »
I am looking for some type of waterproof box that will hold 4 power supplies and 1 F16v2 with daughter board. I have thought of possibly using a cooler but I will need 4 of these total and 4 coolers sitting in the yard might look a little trashy lol. I would like to keep the psu's close to the controller if possible. How many power supplies will fit in a cg-1500 case with an f16v2 and daughter board? I know 4 psu's will not fit in one of those but will 2 with the controller and daughter board?
I know some use marine battery boxes but I am not even sure if one of those will hold what I am wanting to put in it?
If anyone knows or has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
Re: Enclosures
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »
I was looking at something like this from Bud Industries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T57PK4

They have several different sizes and it looked like you could get at least four power supplies turned on their side and the controller boards (not necessarily the exact model I linked above, that was just in my browsing history and I didn't check the dimensions to see if it was the exact one I was looking at, but you get the ideal).

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline rstehle

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
I was looking at something like this from Bud Industries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T57PK4

They have several different sizes and it looked like you could get at least four power supplies turned on their side and the controller boards (not necessarily the exact model I linked above, that was just in my browsing history and I didn't check the dimensions to see if it was the exact one I was looking at, but you get the ideal).

I bought 2 of this one from Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T94MQU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005T57OLY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VWVY9BK7MN90FY6GR9M

Almost the same size but quite a bit cheaper.

Offline ebrown19721972

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »

I bought 2 of this one from Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T94MQU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005T57OLY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VWVY9BK7MN90FY6GR9M

Almost the same size but quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks. Those look promising and may just work

Offline Bill Ellick

• Long Lake Lights
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
Something to consider is to make your controller boxes up to look like presents!  You can scatter them around to control things and make them an actual part of the display as well.
I built a 24W x 36T x 8D metal box for my mega tree LOR controllers and plugs.  It just looks like a big present next to the tree.  I put other individual controllers into plastic storage boxes from the dollar store to keep them and the connections out of the weather.  I am still painting storage boxes to make them look like presents!

Offline ebrown19721972

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
Something to consider is to make your controller boxes up to look like presents!  You can scatter them around to control things and make them an actual part of the display as well.
I built a 24W x 36T x 8D metal box for my mega tree LOR controllers and plugs.  It just looks like a big present next to the tree.  I put other individual controllers into plastic storage boxes from the dollar store to keep them and the connections out of the weather.  I am still painting storage boxes to make them look like presents!

Great idea and they look really nice!!!!

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
I have two power supplies and one PixLite 4 in a cg-1500. But the Falcon is large and thick. I don't think it will fit with two power supplies. If it did, it would be very tight to add cables, wiring, fuses, etc. Don't forget fuses.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline bravado67

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
I am going with 3 CG

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline bravado67

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
Let's try that again:  I will be using 3 cg-1500 for each of my four F16v2 with expansion boards. I'll probably create a triangle and affix to rebars to keep off the ground. I love the present idea.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline ebrown19721972

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:38:50 AM »
I ended up buying 2 of the Budd industry boxes and received them yesterday. They have much more room than the cg-1500 enclosures. 4 psu's fit in the box with no problem. I am hoping to mount the f16v2 and the daughter board in the lid and the psu's in the main part of the box. If this is possible I will take a pic once done. I am just waiting to receive the f16v2's which will be a couple more weeks.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »
Are you sure that you want to mount the F16's to the lid with all of the wires that connect to them?

Offline ebrown19721972

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »
Are you sure that you want to mount the F16's to the lid with all of the wires that connect to them?

I'm not sure about any of this. Lol. More than likely I will have the psu's in the big box and the f16 with daughter board in the cg-1500. That should give me plenty of room in each box and should make it easy to do all the wiring.

Offline bravado67

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »

I'm not sure about any of this. Lol. More than likely I will have the psu's in the big box and the f16 with daughter board in the cg-1500. That should give me plenty of room in each box and should make it easy to do all the wiring.

Great answer! I'm not sure about many things but will give it a go. I have already ordered 10 more cg-1500's after seeing how little space there will be once I place two PSUs per enclosure and each the F16v2 and expansion board in another. I plan to use rebar for posts and cluster them in a triangle in my four locations. I ordered the extra 10 enclosures with cord grip and pre-drilled holes. Now, if I can just get David to send me a stencil so I can spray paint the outside of each with the cool Falcon logo.

Ron

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »
I use fence posts for mounting my CG1500s.  I put a piece of galvanized wire between the two top lugs on the back of the box.  You must drill a hole thru them, but there is no hole into the inside of the box.  Use galvanized wire or you will gut rust all over the back of the box.  A cut up tomato cage works great and is cheap.  I bend the top hook on the post out a little bit to catch the wire good.  All the big box stores have the fence posts and they come in even foot lenghts starting at 2ft.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline bravado67

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
I use fence posts for mounting my CG1500s.  I put a piece of galvanized wire between the two top lugs on the back of the box.  You must drill a hole thru them, but there is no hole into the inside of the box.  Use galvanized wire or you will gut rust all over the back of the box.  A cut up tomato cage works great and is cheap.  I bend the top hook on the post out a little bit to catch the wire good.  All the big box stores have the fence posts and they come in even foot lenghts starting at 2ft.

Your idea wins! Thanks for sharing.

Ron