Author Topic: Something new for 2019  (Read 1090 times)

Offline sklankowski

• Kudos: 0
    • Rotary Lights
Something new for 2019
« on: November 04, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »
Already thinking for 2019.  I volunteer with rotatylights.org, and I am looking for the next great display to add to their show.  As a group, not really interested in flat matrixs or p10 displays but displays with character. Something with RGB technology.  Do not know really much about the fan blade displays.

Current thoughts:
3D cube matrixSnowflake wall,
RGB lights in deciduous trees

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
Re: Something new for 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Check out showstopper sequences. They have a big tree that they put lights in that is like a 3D globe.  On the previews it looks flat but a real video looks really cool and I suspect in person would be awesome. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
I am looking to build a forest (~8) of RGB trees with 600 to 800 pixels per tree.  since the F48 controller-to-receiver connection is RS485, and could handle the distances greater than 250', it comes down to cost versus using F4V3 boards.  weighing pro and cons, other than cost difference.  Thoughts?

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
The 4-port differential boards can connect to an F48, F16v3 or F4v3 so you're going to get the 250' distances from anything connected to the board.  I currently am running 2-14' 1200 pixel, 1-10' 630 pixel and 2-5' 240 pixel trees.  I use a single F16v3 without expansion or  differential boards.
The bigger question would be the locations of the pixel elements.  All my trees are within 50ft of each other.  If they were more spread out, I'd go with an F48.

Jim H - Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 08:33:13 PM »
The F4 and F16 boards are intended for props that are close to the controller.  There is an add on remote capability (2 remotes on the F4 and 4 remotes on the F16) which gives you the freedom to put props farther out using the 4 port remotes.  You can even run a single remote off of the F16 without the remote transmitter board.

What makes the F48 really worth the look is that ALL the outputs are remote, so you can design a whole forest and string them around in groups of 4. 

The flip side of this is you are putting your forest under one controller.  If it has a problem, your forest goes dark.  With multiple F4V3s, you only lose those that are connected to the malfunctioning board. The rest stay up.  With that said, I have many F4s and have only had one malfunction.  Not a bad record considering how many there are out here, and how long I have had them.  :)

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:26:48 AM »
The flip side of this is you are putting your forest under one controller.  If it has a problem, your forest goes dark.  With multiple F4V3s, you only lose those that are connected to the malfunctioning board. The rest stay up.  With that said, I have many F4s and have only had one malfunction.  Not a bad record considering how many there are out here, and how long I have had them.  :)

This is one reason I us a Hubs and SSCs is that it is cheaper to replace a $10/$40 item then a whole Fx item. I cannot justify having an $200+ backup item.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
But SSCs are limited to controlling a max of 128 pixels.  Not so with the Falcon controllers.  Even the PiCap can control 800 pixels.  I still have some SSCs and they still work good, but newer stuff has lots more functionality and controllability not to mention more user friendly.  Either way it is nice to have choices.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »
Sscs you can do 150...but yes setup I can do my f16 stuff much fast than all my sscs I have...

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 11:20:54 AM »
But SSCs are limited to controlling a max of 128 pixels.  Not so with the Falcon controllers.  Even the PiCap can control 800 pixels.  I still have some SSCs and they still work good, but newer stuff has lots more functionality and controllability not to mention more user friendly.  Either way it is nice to have choices.
SSCs?  Can you explain to this youngster? might be useful...

I am looking to build the tree forest, but of varying sizes.  8ft, 6ft, 4ft and 2ft.  I want to scatter the trees to have an effect like the Peace Family Pixel Sticks, but with 20+ pixel trees.  Reminder, I have an 300ft square city park to fill, and distances between trees may be minimum 25ft.   

I was looking at the F48 to drive some of the trees with some having the receiving boards and power supplies permanently mounted to a frame (see attached photo) like the 8 ft trees i previously built using 800 pixels and an F4V3.  Scaling down to the 2 ft tall trees, I suspect they would have a maximum 160-200 pixels.   I do not want waste a F4V3 on a tree, nor add additional Raspberry Pi individually, that leaves me to hog one output on the F48 control to control only 200 pixels. Is there a better way?
What type of board combination could I use to pass along the data to increase pixels use efficiency?
Can the F48 outputs support serial connections and pass along the data to 4 different receiver boards on 4 different trees, and just plug in the pixels using only one but differing ports on the receiver?
I am looking for the most  efficient and cost effective method to connect more than 12 receiver boards to the F48, with pixel counts of less than 200 per F48 board output?

Should I look into run the data all wirelessly.  I just started looking at the ESPixelStick, and am unfamiliar with other DMX E.131 wireless point to point access devices.  my initial concern was wireless bandwidth throughput, but this look able to reduced by unicast.   

Anything I missing?  can you point me to already posted topics?

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
Greatness, Just needed to go read another topic.
The first serial port on the F16v2/v3 can be used to drive the same 4-port differential receiver, so the pinout for the 12 RJ45 jacks on the F48 and on the F16v3 differential expansion board are all wired the same way.  You can find that pinout on page 19 of the F16v3 manual which is linked to on the F16v3 product page:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S67ZVLgQRYsdqPhgfPkQucnFXvu1FmQAME9qnK5RixU  It uses the normal colored pairs with one pair per RS-485 signal.  The Falcon receiver boards use a quad differential receiver but you could hook up 4 individual RS-485 chips on the individual outputs.
In my head, I can create a RJ45 adapter cord from a Ethernet cord, cut one end off, and each twisted pair is a output signal, Solid color being (-), Striped (+).  With this I could place a differential board on each of 4 trees, connect the correct twisted pair from the F48 to the correct position on the receiving board input and that would drive a corresponding Pixel output?  (output 2 on F48, would give Pixel port 2 data??)  Please correct me if I am wrong.   
Then comes software setup....

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »
In my head, I can create a RJ45 adapter cord from a Ethernet cord, cut one end off, and each twisted pair is a output signal, Solid color being (-), Striped (+).  With this I could place a differential board on each of 4 trees, connect the correct twisted pair from the F48 to the correct position on the receiving board input and that would drive a corresponding Pixel output?  (output 2 on F48, would give Pixel port 2 data??)  Please correct me if I am wrong.   

Sounds correct.

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=280
http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22&zenid=b84615ab759ea439142cd91c44976f85

For only $3 more per board and the added benefit of not needing to solder a kit together by hand, I would just spend $17 each and buy 4-port differential receivers from David at https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=45&controller=product  With those, you could still choose which of the four outputs to use, but you have the ability to use more than one if you later want to do so.
-
Chris

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
For only $3 more per board and the added benefit of not needing to solder a kit together by hand, I would just spend $17 each and buy 4-port differential receivers from David at https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=45&controller=product  With those, you could still choose which of the four outputs to use, but you have the ability to use more than one if you later want to do so.
I do like that option, especially the power injection.  Thank you, Sir.