Author Topic: Dense Mega Tree Topper  (Read 5436 times)

Offline russellmcfarland

• Kudos: 0
Dense Mega Tree Topper
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a mega tree topper that allows for a dense tree.  I love Boscoyos stuff, but it looks like James maxes out at 16 strings for a 180 tree.  What do you all like for dense trees that would allow for 20+ strings on a 180?

Thanks!

Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline StickyWicket

• Kudos: 4
Re: Dense Mega Tree Topper
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 12:06:26 PM »
http://www.holidaycoro.com/Pixel-Strip-MegaTree-Topper-p/750.htm

The QT3 Version of this HolidayCoro topper will do 32 strings in 180 degree.

Offline Skunberg

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
At that density you could double up on James. For 32 for 180.

Offline russellmcfarland

Dense Mega Tree Topper
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
I thought about doubling up, but didn't know if the smaller diameter of the topper would cause too much overlap to the point where it got to be a giant mess of pixels at the tip of the tree. 

That may not be a valid theory, though. 

Offline russellmcfarland

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »

Cool deal, thanks!.  That looks like it would do what I am trying to do, although I absolutely loathe ordering from Holiday Coro when I can help it.  It may be the right tool for the job, though.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:51:43 PM »
That looks like it would do what I am trying to do, although I absolutely loathe ordering from Holiday Coro when I can help it.  It may be the right tool for the job, though.
I did a 24-strand 180-degree tree using the 15" RGB topper from ChristmasLightShow.com
http://www.christmaslightshow.com/rgb-tree-topper-standard-15-diameter.html

They also have a bigger one if you want to do more than 24 strands in a 180 configuration
http://www.christmaslightshow.com/rgb-hook-head-for-180-to-360-degree-mega-trees.html

xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline Daryle D

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:21:58 PM »

Cool deal, thanks!.  That looks like it would do what I am trying to do, although I absolutely loathe ordering from Holiday Coro when I can help it.  It may be the right tool for the job, though.

Although I have not set it up yet, I ordered the T2 topper from Holidaycoro.  It looks great and will meet my needs fine (16 strand 180 degree).  I haven't been doing this hobby for that long so I'm sure that there is a reason for the negative remarks I see regarding HC but I have placed 3 different orders with them and with the exception of 1 minor error that was resolved very quickly, I have been very happy with the products.

Offline StickyWicket

• Kudos: 4
Dense Mega Tree Topper
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
I thought about doubling up, but didn't know if the smaller diameter of the topper would cause too much overlap to the point where it got to be a giant mess of pixels at the tip of the tree. 

That may not be a valid theory, though. 

This picture is the top of my QT2, it's not standing up vertically in the picture so the strings aren't exactly where they sit standing.

What I wanted to point out though was how close they are together at the top. You can't really get the stands any closer and still put pixels in the top row.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 04:56:31 PM »
I also used an HC QT2 topper last season.  I put 18 strands in a 180 config and it looked great. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline russellmcfarland

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
Thanks so much for the pictures, guys...  Thats incredibly helpful!

Offline russellmcfarland

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »

Although I have not set it up yet, I ordered the T2 topper from Holidaycoro.  It looks great and will meet my needs fine (16 strand 180 degree).  I haven't been doing this hobby for that long so I'm sure that there is a reason for the negative remarks I see regarding HC but I have placed 3 different orders with them and with the exception of 1 minor error that was resolved very quickly, I have been very happy with the products.

Holiday Coros stuff is fine.  He is just overpriced (except for the very first presales) and he is quite a piece of work to deal with.  Most everyone in the hobby is very generous and kind, but David (HC) is pretty condescending and arrogant.  I've had that experience personally and it is not hard to find other people who have similar issues.  Heck...  He likes to publicly spar with customers on the Do It Yourself Christmas on a halfway regular basis.

Bottom line is that his products are fine and he definitely has the market cornered on being one of the more popular US resellers.  He markets a lot towards newbies and people who need things in a hurry.  I don't have a problem with any of that, but (in my opinion) he does have a crappy attitude and I hate to reward that with my dollars.

Offline garhett

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »

Holiday Coros stuff is fine.  He is just overpriced (except for the very first presales) and he is quite a piece of work to deal with.  Most everyone in the hobby is very generous and kind, but David (HC) is pretty condescending and arrogant.  I've had that experience personally and it is not hard to find other people who have similar issues.  Heck...  He likes to publicly spar with customers on the Do It Yourself Christmas on a halfway regular basis.

Bottom line is that his products are fine and he definitely has the market cornered on being one of the more popular US resellers.  He markets a lot towards newbies and people who need things in a hurry.  I don't have a problem with any of that, but (in my opinion) he does have a crappy attitude and I hate to reward that with my dollars.

wow. never had that problem with him.  what I like is he is local to me and I deal with him instead of someone in China.  anything I have had a problem with David has taken care of as soon as I sent him the info he needed.

lightsonlinden

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
I also used an HC QT2 topper last season.  I put 18 strands in a 180 config and it looked great.

Jim, what is the height on your 180 tree and how many pixels per strip and what spacing did you use?

What does the hardware set up look like at the base?

I am just staring to think how to build my tree for 2016 and I like your design.

Offline garhett

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »

what spacing do you have between pixels?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »
I don't know what the height of my tree is as I have never measured it.  I always just say it is about 18 or 19 ft including the star.  Take two 8ft strips on a diagonal,  use a base of 8ft diameter and add a 2ft star for the top.  The base is about 1 ft off the ground.  I use 3" spacing and each 16ft strip has 61 nodes with two strips connected together for 122 nodes per string and each string connected to an F16v1.  9 connections for strings and 1 connection for the star (100 nodes) so 10 connections out of 16 used with 2 12v power supplies.  The shorter tree is also 3" spacing using 30 nodes per strip with 4 connected together to make one string of 120

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfAYg54dnM

Construction photos
https://goo.gl/photos/LvjhfSCD9DpDihNV6