Author Topic: Idea For New Board Design  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Nightowlz1966

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 0
    • Christmas On The Creek
Idea For New Board Design
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
I have conduit at the road buried in the ground for my arches and between each arch I did a North Pole with RGB Globes
so I can keep all the wires under ground and organized. What would be cool is to have a Falcon Board that would slide up into
a 3" PVC   I think the power supplies will already that way I could put falcon in my center North Pole an go put from there to power
my RGB arches.
You can see pics of my project here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.321836807931828.74644.284694431646066&type=3

Brian Flanders
Sharpsburg Ga. http://christmasonthecreek.com http://www.facebook.com/ChristmasOnTheCreek I Thought I Had More Extension Cords

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Idea For New Board Design
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
How many strings would one board in three inch tube need to control?
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Nightowlz1966

• Falcon Beta Team
    • Christmas On The Creek
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:22:47 PM »
How many strings would one board in three inch tube need to control?

Right now (4) arches and (5) RGB globes on my north poles for a Total of (9)
Future plans are for (5) Arches & (6) RGB Globes for a total of (11)

It's just an idea

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
So this will definitely void any warranty but you could cut the board in half just below the resistor banks, above the output jacks as shown in the edited images.  You would want to make this cut before populating the board with components.  You will be cutting through 18 traces on the bottom of the board.  16 of those are data going from the resistors to the output jacks.  You can solder jumper wires to reconnect those traces.  The other 2 traces are power for the logic side of the board.  You can use jumper wire for those as well.  Make sure you are using jumper wires with proper gauge to handle the load and long enough to place the boards side by side.
Then you can take the two halves and mount them onto a backer board (I would use plexiglass and standoffs for this).  The two halves mounted beside each other will now fit nicely into a 4" pvc pipe about 16" long.  Unfortunately, when I measured, the one half is still too wide to fit into 3" pvc pipe.  So this is more for future builds if you are using a 4" pipe or until David has another board developed.

I did notice that you have dumb RGB modules in your north poles.  A Falcon-16 cannot control those directly.  If I'm not mistaken, you'll need a TM18xx or WS 2811 chip or something else to decipher the data coming from the board.

Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]