Author Topic: denverpost article a bad idea?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
denverpost article a bad idea?
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »
Hey, I've got a reporter from the Post who wants to come over Sunday and do a story on what all goes into a lightshow ... i.e. building things, setting things up ... the hardware ?? ... and he said keeping my address anonymous (limited to Castle Rock, CO) would be fine.

Should I turn this down or just do it? 

I don't want the attention but it sounds fairly harmless.

I am also concerns about possibly attracting vandals somehow.

THoughts?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
Re: denverpost article a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
Personally, I avoid all contact with th media.  I have friend who has been written up in th local paper several times and now he spends many evenings directing traffic in his sudivision.  Does not help that he lives at end of a cul de sac
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »
I have struggled with that should it come up as well.  I worry more about attracting the less than honest variety of people than the attention.   Personally a bit more concerned for my privacy than most as well, so I likely pass in my case or make my wife do it.   :P

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »
i would not be worried about someone stealing props, my only concern would be the extra traffic you could get and if it causes issues with your neighbors.

this is the trade off, we love to share our shows with the "audience". i love to see the children light up, but how big an audience? there was a talk last year at the academy that talked about how to increase your audience, how to get into the newspapers .etc.

do you post your hous on the denverpost web site that lists all houses that have lights? I have been listed there for a couple of years.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »
I have decided to not do it ... I really have no desire to have a big traffic problem.  I have been on the list on prior years, but always put myself on the list "late", like in the last week.  I really haven't had bad traffic except in the last few days prior to Christmas.  I'm pretty remote but still have no appetite for traffic problems that would ruin for the locals.  Thanks all !

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Kudos: 0
  • believe in miracles
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
I wouldn't do it either. I have enough traffic problems with what I have out and I'm to close to a few cities that I would be worried about the not so honest ppl. Facebook has been enough to get too many ppl sometimes. (Just my opinion)
Its a wonderful life.

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »
You could always opt to be "background" (not a named source).  But then again, I don't know if you want to tell anyone that there are valuable boxes in the yard, etc.

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
Hard to say in this day and age.  I've heard the horror stories about 'a few friends' posting about a house party on facebook, then suddenly 1,000 people show up and wreck the place!

I struggle with the same thing for Halloween.  We set up a pretty detailed 'haunt'...lights, props, decor all over the front of the house, etc.  I'm enjoy it and do it mainly for fun.  We generally attract 18-24 trick-or-treaters, or about one ToT per hour of set-up!  I thought about putting something in the local paper, but if it attracted even a fraction of a percent of the kids in town, that could be multiple hundreds of kids and the place would be a mad house.

So be wary of too much success, I guess!
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE