Author Topic: Show unread posts since last visit... settings  (Read 1727 times)

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Show unread posts since last visit... settings
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
Good day to you all.

Whenever I visit this site (daily as of late), I click on "Show unread posts..." to see the "new" stuff.
Today there were only 2 or 3, so I wondered a bit.  I clicked on "Home", then looked down the list.  Interested in the FPP information, I opened it.

Low and behold, there were many "new" tags on items in this area of the forums.  Opening other areas, I found the same.  Yet none of these "new" show up when I ask for "Show unread posts...".

Is there a place to set that I want to see these "new" entries whenever I click on "Show unread..."?

Thanks
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Show unread posts since last visit... settings
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:53:20 AM »
When you check Unread, there is a line of text with a hyperlink to check Unread Topics. That link finds them all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:20:08 AM by JonB256 »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »
I think he is running into the same thing I have been seeing for a while.  I don't know if it was caused by a tapatalk update or an update to the forum software, but for the past 3-4 months I have been having issues with the 'show unread posts/topics' not working correctly.  I see the same symptoms, the link will only show me a few, but if I browse down into the forums I can see lots more threads that I am not up to date on.  I think that it may be tapatalk but can't stop using that for long enough to test. :)  I read mainly from tapatalk then also from another pair of computers, so that may be making the problem worse, but IMHO (as a programmer), "show unread topics" should work the same no matter where I read from or how many places I read from.
-
Chris

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
In my experience if you do not read all posts then logout and come back you will only see new unread posts since the last time you LOGGED IN.  The ones that you skipped will remain with the new flag, but in theory you saw them before this last login, just did not read them.  I solve that problem by reading what I want and before I log out click on unread posts and then click on mark all posts as read.  Now I do not experience the problem that you are seeing and if I do it was done intentionally by me and I know that I will have to look for the ones I skipped.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
Usually there would be a section below the new post list that would say something like, "unread posts from prior login".  Not sure of the exact wording.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
I guess Websters changed the definition of unread along the way, or else the forum software or tapatalk did.  It used to work fine.  For years I have been reading posts here from 3 different locations including tapatalk and the problem didn't start happening until within the last 3-4 (ok, maybe 6) months.

Offline vincerules

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »
The wording is "Show unread posts since last visit." not just "Unread posts".

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »
The wording is "Show unread posts since last visit." not just "Unread posts".

Yes, and it used to work to show all unread. :)  Somewhere, a bug was probably fixed, and it seems some of us were exploiting that bug to enhance our reading styles.  Once you click that link though, the section you are in is called "Recent Unread Topics" and it still doesn't show the recent ones, unless "recent" has been changed to mean "since you last visited".  The concept of a 'visit' is also flawed.  I visit the site very regularly, but some things can sit in the unread list for days if I am not following a thread closely.  The unread lists on my 3 devices are also normally quite out of sync leading back to that flawed 'visit' concept again.  'visit from this device' might be more appropriate, but I haven't looked at the cookies saved for the site or how the interaction works between tapatalk and reading via the webpage.

Offline vincerules

• Kudos: 2

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
Whats weird is it works fine for me via web a TT....

might try logging out and back in - as I do this often by default....

Tony

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
In my experience if you do not read all posts then logout and come back you will only see new unread posts since the last time you LOGGED IN.  The ones that you skipped will remain with the new flag, but in theory you saw them before this last login, just did not read them.  I solve that problem by reading what I want and before I log out click on unread posts and then click on mark all posts as read.  Now I do not experience the problem that you are seeing and if I do it was done intentionally by me and I know that I will have to look for the ones I skipped.

I see the same behavior as Jim does and I regularly switch between two computers and TapaTalk. The only time I have unread messages not show in unread messages is when I leave messages unread by either not reading them or not clicking mark all messages read.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »
You do. On the iPhone version in the unread messages tab click the three bar button and then long press Mark as Read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »
You do. On the iPhone version in the unread messages tab click the three bar button and then long press Mark as Read.

That marks them as read, the post/link I was replying to lets me _see_ all unread, not mark them as read.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »
Yeah yeah. Thou shall not Tapatalk on two hours of sleep. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk