Author Topic: PSU Question  (Read 824 times)

Offline bravado67

• Kudos: 0
PSU Question
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
Is it possible to test a string of 12V RGB pixels using a 350W 12V PSU? I don't have my F16V2 controllers yet and I started my journey learning to solder today. I am afraid to go any further until I test my sloppy soldering work. The crazy layout on one of the ChromaFlakes requires me to lengthen the string to reach.

I also asked this in the xLight forum.[/size]Ron[/color]

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: PSU Question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »
Is it possible to test a string of 12V RGB pixels using a 350W 12V PSU?

Without some kind of pixel controller, you won't be able to do anything to the pixels. Without the Data and Clock signal provided by a controller, nothing will happen.

If you have a Raspberry Pi, and the pixels are "3-wire" style, you could set them up as if they were the 5v ws2811 pixels, but power them from the 12vdc instead. You just need to be very careful not to get the 12v onto the RasPi somehow. You would still need to connect the grounds together, though. (that is where caution is important)

Offline bravado67

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 05:06:17 PM »

Without some kind of pixel controller, you won't be able to do anything to the pixels. Without the Data and Clock signal provided by a controller, nothing will happen.

If you have a Raspberry Pi, and the pixels are "3-wire" style, you could set them up as if they were the 5v ws2811 pixels, but power them from the 12vdc instead. You just need to be very careful not to get the 12v onto the RasPi somehow. You would still need to connect the grounds together, though. (that is where caution is important)
Thanks Jon. I'll exercise some patience and wait for the F16V2s.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline ebrown19721972

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 06:22:24 PM »

Thanks Jon. I'll exercise some patience and wait for the F16V2s.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. I started building my matrix today with new pixels I have yet to test. I only finished about 1/4 of the matrix before I decided to just hold off and wait for my controllers to arrive. Should't be much longer!