Author Topic: Falcon Pixelnet to DMX converter suggestion  (Read 4883 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
Falcon Pixelnet to DMX converter suggestion
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »
I would be interested an a controller that I could use to split out my DMX universes from the Pixelnet stream

I need to have either a single or dual universe splitout. Hopefully it could be programmed to place the DMX universe on any of the available blocks in the Pixelnet stream.

It would be good if it could operate from a Wall Wart or similar power supply. Perhaps even the use of any old notebook brick say up to a 20Vdc output regulated down to the proper voltages on the card.

Thanks for your consideration.

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Falcon Pixelnet to DMX converter suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
Are you looking for a device that is similar to the Active Hub from DLA but without the pixelnet outputs?

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
That is correct.

I would want the device to support at least 2 DMX universes.

Offline davron12

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »
FYI, not to rain on the Falcon parade, but they are designing a device that does just that over at DLA and I think it's scheduled to debut at the convention. I know because I was asking for the same type of device.

If there's room for it, it would be useful to add a DMX output to the Falcon board.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »
FYI, not to rain on the Falcon parade, but they are designing a device that does just that over at DLA and I think it's scheduled to debut at the convention. I know because I was asking for the same type of device.

If there's room for it, it would be useful to add a DMX output to the Falcon board.

I think the one DMX converter that is being built on DLA by a user is one Pixelnet in and one DMX out. And you are right we do not know what it will be until July. Which is late in season for many. I personally want options that are not tide to DLA and waiting for coops. It cost very little to make a board and then users can choose which product to use instead of being herded into one solution.  I am thinking of building a  Pixelnet to five DMX out.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »
David,
Would each of the five DMX outputs be limited to 25 devices each?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
David,
Would each of the five DMX outputs be limited to 25 devices each?

I think it is either 32 or 64 devices each. each output could be a different 512 of the 4096 channels in Pixelnet Universe.

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »
The number of devices is limited by the RS-485 driver.  This number is 32 per driver (or output in this case)

Offline davron12

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Now that would most likely be different than what's coming out at DLA. 5 outputs with the option of different universes for each port and maybe different protocols like DMX, Renard, Helix, not sure of others. Maybe you could add some other cool features that I'm at a loss right now to think of, but maybe others have ideas - I'm thinking as different as the hybrid and channel modes in the Falcon 16.

They only point I was trying to make is not to waste your time reinventing something that somebody else already has (or will have in a month or so), unless there's some significant improvements/differences/cost-savings. Unless you're doing it as a business, your free time is precious.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
Yeah you are right about the time factor. I need to evaluate it some more.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »
There is a huge difference between 'coming out' and getting it done and delivered. There have been a lot of things 'coming out' on RJs board but deliveries have been unpredictable at best.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
Biggest fault is either waiting for a coop or any extras in the store.  Once store is empty - your SOL until the next coop..

Myk

Offline davron12

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:04 AM »
Biggest fault is either waiting for a coop or any extras in the store.  Once store is empty - your SOL until the next coop..

Myk

Very true. That is a royal pain in the ...

Last year, I wasn't sure if I was going to get to do my new lights or not because there wasn't a SSC coop going on. I'm still waiting for another Bobcat servo controller coop to happen so I can start building my robo spots. True I could etch my own, but drilling the holes sucks and having a few custom boards fabricated makes them more expensive than I'd like, so here I am still waiting.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »
Guess its time to participate on this board...  after seeing Falcon 16 and PI at the academy, I know this is the place to be.

On the topic of Pixelnet to DMX conversion, I'd love to see a product like this:

(1) Pixelnet in (4 pairs)
(1) Pixelnet out (4 pairs) for daisy-chaining this device with another pixelnet controller
jumper to select the Pixelnet universe (1-4)
(8) DMX outputs (numbered 1-8)  each output would receive a unique page/universe from the 4096-channel pixelnet universe

for more flexibility, maybe the same 8 outputs could be individually configured to select ANY of the 8 pages.
this would allow (for example) outputs 1-4 to all share DMX universe 1, and 5-8 to all share DMX universe 2. 
my thought is that this could function as a splitter when you don't need all universes.

of course a grander design would be to have (32) DMX output jacks pulling from all 4-pixelnet universes... but that seems a littler over the top... just use (4) of the 8-output boards.

steve

ps. also agree that the delays in waiting for a DLA coop make their kit unattractive.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
I have looked into a Pixelnet to DMX board. Using Pic32 chips used in Falcon 16 and FPD (Falcon Pixelnet/DMX board) we could do a  1 pixelnet universe in and 5 DMX outout. The one pixelnet universe in would be selectable from the four universes coming in on the cat5.

But as a side note. If you use the FPP (Falcon Pi Player) in bridge mode connected to FPD that would make this setup equivalent to two EtherDongles and 4 DMX outputs. I have proven to myself that the EtherDongle does have a small problem receiving E131 data that is more then 18.5 hz. It begins to miss packets which causes jerkiness. So connecting an Etherdongle to E131 from Pi Player will not be the best solution because Pi is right at 18.5 Hz, unless I rewrite EtherDongle firmware.  The reason Nutcracker works is because it outputs @ less than 18.5 hz.