Author Topic: FInishing an old project, 16 outlet 120v box  (Read 1506 times)

Offline djcannon

• Kudos: 0
FInishing an old project, 16 outlet 120v box
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
4 years ago I started this project for my wife. The box has 16 outlets using 2 sainsmart ssr boards. I had help from my now deceased father-in-law programing a at mega to control the system using Vixen. Now I realize the design is outdated and want to set it up using falcon player.

The easy solution is to stick the pi in the box and use logic level shifters to connect the pi gpio pins.

I would rather use a e1.31 protocol and connect the box via wifi. This makes the display easilly expandable and give me 16 2 amp outlets to use with future rgb led components. The esp8266 seems a perfect device to complete the connection based on its cost and size.  But it does not have sufficent output pins. Does anyone have suggestions?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: FInishing an old project, 16 outlet 120v box
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »
Pi Zero with wireless might be an easy and cheap solution.
-
Chris

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:24:08 AM »
I'm not sure what sort of control you were hoping for but looking at http://www.sainsmart.com/8-channel-5v-solid-state-relay-module-board-omron-ssr-4-pic-arm-avr-dsp-arduino.html there doesn't seem to be any zero crossing control as part of the circuitry. This suggests to me that these are really only good for ON/OFF control unless you have a seperate standalone zero crossing detection circuitry and the software/firmware that allows for dimming curves. A 0-255 range for an AC waveform isn't quite as simple as it is for DC lights due to the sine wave shape. It gets even more complicated if you are using LEDs rather than incandescent lights as incands work purely on the area under the sine waveform whereas LED's don't switch on until they reach a threshold of a couple of volts for each LED in series.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:07:10 AM »
If it was me I would just buy a used Lynx Express for around $100.  The LE is a known proven solution that just works and does all the AC stuff you would want.  But that is me.  I have too many other things to work on, and yes I have given up on lots of older lighting stuff.  They were fun when I started with them, but technology and I have moved on to newer fun stuff. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline djcannon

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »
Pi Zero with wireless might be an easy and cheap solution.

So I'm back ready to finish the project for my wife. Here is where I'm at.

FPP on a RPI2 running. with a FM transmitter and speakers. I set this up so the GPIO output was driving the Sain Smart Solid state relays using the other outputs in channel options.

I want to expand it now and have installed a FPP on a RPI Zero W. I'm connected to the network and am fully updated. I want to have the GPIO pins on the RPI Zero W set as outputs controlled by the FPP on the RPI2.  While I'm sure that someone has posted instructions on doing this I have been unable to locate those and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
In FPP, go to the Input/Output Setup Menu and select Channel Outputs.  Then click on the other tab and press the add button.  Then select GPIO from the drop down box and you will have a GPIO output to configur.  On there you can select both the GPIO pin you want to set up and the show channel number that you want FPP to use to control it.  Any value sent to that channel number greater than zero turns the configured GPIO on and setting it to zero turns it back off.  You need to create one of these entries for every GPIO pin you want FPP to control.