Author Topic: Falcon Pi Player Daemon - FFPD  (Read 497 times)

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Falcon Pi Player Daemon - FFPD
« on: May 07, 2016, 05:45:27 AM »
In the lifetime of FPP I could only find 3 references to "Falcon Pi Player Daemon" which looks like what the abbreviation FFPD is for. Can 1 of the gurus confirm that this is what it stands for and give a quick explanation as to what it does. All I know is that it needs restarting after all the configuration changes.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
Re: Falcon Pi Player Daemon - FFPD
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 06:18:09 AM »
A Daemon in Linux is a background process that cuts all ties with the terminal that starts it. It has no terminal and therefore is running in the background whether a user is logged in or not. The FPP Daemon (FPPD) is where all the processing of FPP is done. Almost everything from playing media to you name it is done in FPPD. The webpage files and the FPP program are just methods to talk to FPPD either by settings config files or directly communicating with FPPD by a Unix Domain Socket (could be changing soon to a HTTP based communication). Most of the time the settings in config files are changed by webpage files and when the FPPD is restarted all the settings take effect. Not many take effect without a restart, this ensures robustness and code path stability.

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Falcon Pi Player Daemon - FFPD
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 07:24:03 AM »
Thanks Dave
I was thinking that the web interface was actually FPP but I guess it actually makes a lot more sense that it is actually just passing values back and forth to the actual process that is doing all the good stuff.