Author Topic: Advice Requested For My First All-Pixel Display  (Read 1357 times)

Offline L1011

• Kudos: 0
Advice Requested For My First All-Pixel Display
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »
Hi all,

2016 is my first show and is my first year using pixels, meaning I'm a newb!

I'm looking for advice for how many controllers I should purchase (please assume power injection is taken care of).  The numbers represent the pixel count for each item in the display, and all pixels are 12V 8mm except for the matrix (those will be 5v).

I currently have one brand new F16v2r and I'd like to know if I could realistically drive my entire show from this one controller, or if I really need another unit.  I plan to place the F16v2r just about in the middle of the house and my two mega trees, candy canes, and arches are approximately ten feet (I'm in the USA, no metric here ) in front of the house.

Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks!!
Newbie for 2016 using FPP, F16v2r, F4v2, and WS2811 bullet pixels.

Online algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Re: Advice Requested For My First All-Pixel Display
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:20:26 AM »
How do you plan to drive, what is apparently, the matrix?
Your channel counts (without the matrix) are well within the capability of the F16V2R. 
Distances from the controller need to be taken into account, but that should not be a problem if the drawing is to scale

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline L1011

• Kudos: 0
Re: Advice Requested For My First All-Pixel Display
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:26:48 AM »
How do you plan to drive, what is apparently, the matrix?
Your channel counts (without the matrix) are well within the capability of the F16V2R. 
Distances from the controller need to be taken into account, but that should not be a problem if the drawing is to scale

Yeaaaah, good question. I'm not entirely sure.  I figured two ports from the F16 would drive those, but I also considered branching that off using the new Differential Boards out today.  I also considered an F4v2 but I'm trying not to spend too much so as to not irk the wife!  I still have to buy most of the pixels, too.  I only have enough pixels for the tall tree, the candy canes, and the arches.  Everything else I still need to buy pixels for.