Author Topic: marching band display  (Read 1911 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
marching band display
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »
My son's marching band instructor wants to discuss lighting options for next season's performance. A little due diligence on the web revealed a few places that sell packages and as you might guess they are a little pricey. Anyone have experience or suggestions to get a wireless signal to individual members that are almost always moving. I was thinking  Lynx or Falcon setup to broadcast, but the Rx and associated RGB would need to be battery operated. Is that currently possible? Another option I thought of was a light organ connected to lights. My thinking was each section of instruments would be playing the same thing at the same time so as to appear synced.

Any help appreciated,

Brian
Brian

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
Re: marching band display
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:28 PM »
Just be aware that none of the Lynx or Falcon products are UL approved and at least with lynx products you agreed when you joined the board that the products were not to be used in any commercial or other non profit way other than your own yard.  There can be a big liability issue.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
you might want to talk to the people who made the hats that can be communicated via IR. I dont know the distance, but if disneyland can do it across a large crowd in an area larger that a football field, it can be probably be duplicated also.

I have a little controller (about the size of a nickle) that can drive my ws2811 's and do all sorts of patterns. i have 8 AA batteries to run it. This would work no problem

Jim, i wouldnt be afraid of people who have 12v DC and nothing else on their bodies. I was in marching band (well 50 years ago), i have been thinking about this exact same thing. I have thought of nutcracker effects for this. Basically  a band of 100 people would be treated as 100 models that are moving around your yard.

Just need to crack the how do you get them to receive updates.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't trying to break the rules. I was aware of the commercial / for profit part of being a member at DIYLA. I did not remember the non profit aspect. Just trying to find a way to help the high school band. I will work on another option.

Brian

Just be aware that none of the Lynx or Falcon products are UL approved and at least with lynx products you agreed when you joined the board that the products were not to be used in any commercial or other non profit way other than your own yard. . .

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
you might want to talk to the people who made the hats that can be communicated via IR. . . .

Any idea where to start?

I have a little controller (about the size of a nickle) that can drive my ws2811 's and do all sorts of patterns. . . .

This was one idea I had too, but I don't know if they want to be synced to music, certain patterns only, etc.

. . . i have been thinking about this exact same thing. I have thought of nutcracker effects for this. Basically  a band of 100 people would be treated as 100 models that are moving around your yard.

This would be an awesome thing to be able and offer up. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in this part.

Thanks

Offline ron

• Developer
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
Keep us posted if you find anything.  I find this a very interesting thread as we are looking for some options with our band.  My daughter will be trying out to be one of the drum majors next year, so we are pretty involved.

They are also looking at indoor marching with the drum line in the spring and this would be very cool for that as well.

I like the Disney hat idea Sean.  Now I need to go back and reread all that information on DIYC.

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
If you are looking for drum line stuff, google drum triggered lights and several resources will come up. Depending on the model, the drum sensitivity and light intensity can be adjusted.

Brian

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
you might want to talk to the people who made the hats that can be communicated via IR. I dont know the distance, but if disneyland can do it across a large crowd in an area larger that a football field, it can be probably be duplicated also.

Found this online, that explains the inner workings on a pair of "glow in the show" ears. I also found some online for around 30.00.

http://stuffandymakes.com/2012/07/08/disney-glow-with-the-show-ears-teardown/

http://08milluz.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/glow-with-the-show-ears-teardown/

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15&sid=9e62ca82aa8771f8ec21f85e2722bdf4

Perhaps someone here will understand it better than I.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:04:26 PM by FireMedic4Christ »

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:45:56 PM »
you can also go to this thread
200 posts, 17K views
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?25142-Glow-with-*OUR*-Show-and-MSP430G2553-discussion

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:13:54 AM »
I instantly thought of the Disney ears when seeing this.  I think there may be some good information in that thread to get you started.  I never watched the show religiously, but I think it was America's Got Talent had some dancers that wore lights that changed colors and they "developed the technology" themselves.  So, it can be done!

Another thought came to mind - synchronization.  A few weeks ago the TSO was in town.  I wondered how they kept the lights in sync with a live performance.  In live performances there are a lot of variables that would make a pre-set sequence get off from the program (slight tempo variations, etc.)  We were lucky enough (in my opinion) to sit right in line with the light and sound booth.

Based on what I saw, he pushes a button (or buttons) when he needs to call the next part of the sequence.  So, in Wizards in Winter when they got to the staccato parts of the song, he pushed the button on each note to change the lights/fire the cannons.  The laser sweeps, color changes, chases, etc. are pre-programmed and executed "on-demand".  I'm guessing you would want something similar for this use.

This is an interesting project.

Offline Skunberg

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 09:01:46 AM »
There are a few wireless options for Renard which are on another site.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »
Good observation, I bet this is similar to the digital light controller we use at church. Much like when I run the sound board, we a light engineer running that part of the show.

. . . . Based on what I saw, he pushes a button (or buttons) when he needs to call the next part of the sequence.  So, in Wizards in Winter when they got to the staccato parts of the song, he pushed the button on each note to change the lights/fire the cannons.  The laser sweeps, color changes, chases, etc. are pre-programmed and executed "on-demand".  I'm guessing you would want something similar for this use.

This is an interesting project.
[/quote]

Brian

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
I asked my dad about using RF frequencies (instead of infrared which would have to be line of sight).  I guess that's not a good idea...

I'm not a technical/engineering guy... but what about using Bluetooth?  Every kid has a cellphone.  Maybe there's a way to hook controllers to phones??

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
Bluetooth would be a hard one to work. Range is limited by design, plus the security handshakes and authentications would be a nightmare.

Infrared would be a good choice as a "synchronizing" signal with each marcher having his/her own FPP or Conductor equivalent. I'd put 4 or more IR transmitters on the floodlight poles to ensure coverage, but if it's just a Sync, then missing one wouldn't be a disaster.

David still needs to come up with a Sync for slave FPP units.

and somebody has to pay for it.