Author Topic: Adjusting P10 Brightness Level (re-posted from ACL)  (Read 2748 times)

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Adjusting P10 Brightness Level (re-posted from ACL)
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »

Brad posted some info over on ACL that I though might be of interest to P10 owners. I did not see if he posted here already?

[/size]

[/size]I tested my 25 panel P10 setup with 10 different brightness levels hidden inside the Falcon Player.Results below, as measured from cheap ebay current meter/shunt. (expect for the final value which had to be measured via multimeter as the ebay special maxed out at 50A) Not entirely sure about this little ebay meter's calibrations, particularly at the lower levels (under reading by maybe <=1A) but at higher levels it seems to match up with against my multimeter. Value below also include BBB own power consumption.I also tried brightness 12 whilst playing a video and it spiked at 59A of a 60A supply. Did not try that one on full White!!!IMO I actually think decreasing the value to 5 made my video content look better. This is definitely something that won;t be decided until everything is setup and it's brightness can be compared against the rest of the display.Having said that I'm finding my video content is going to need careful tuning to get brightness/contrast/saturation and maybe gamma levels set correctly so it looks clearer on the panels.
[/size]To change the BBB's brightness level, you need to modify the PRU source code & recompile. (Thanks to Phil for asking the question on the Falcon forums http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2727.15.html

SSH to your BBB machine.
cd /opt/fpp/src/pru
sudo nano FalconMatrix.p
(then edit the Brightness level line from the default 7 value)
sudo make
sudo make release

Then restart the FPPD service for it to update.
[/font]

[/size]

Brad also posted a video showing the brightness change while playing a movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wYOmNlJLfVM
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Adjusting P10 Brightness Level (re-posted from ACL)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:00:32 PM »
  Hopefully a true step by step guide could be created for those of us who have no idea what SSH and sudo means.
I used my P10 matrix outside for a float and what looked brilliantly bright inside was just barely visible in indirect sunlight outside. Had I know how to change the settings I would have wound up the brightness in advance as I expected it to appear a bit dull compared to being inside or outside of a night.

Thanks Sean for dragging the info over from ACL and Brad for creating it.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »
When I dig into the code to optimize the refresh rate, I also want to add a way to adjust this brightness level from FPP.  I need to modify the code structure that is the interface between FPP and the PRU code to do the refresh optimization and while I am doing that I wand to add a brightness variable as well.
-
Chris

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 04:28:22 AM »
Personally, I just lower model brightness in xlights.  My P10 matrix is only at 20-30% IIRC.

nicely presented graph by Brad.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:04:45 AM »
But AAH's comment about daytime use is valid. The default value of 7 is, at full brightness, useless in daylight.

But, the "rule" of 1 amp per panel is based on that value of 7.

So, if you ever do re-purpose your panel for daytime (or Australian Christmas) you will need more power supplies if you go higher.

Offline Voltorb

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:34:32 AM »
I would love to see the ability to change the brightness from the playlist.  Running a daytime show would have a different brightness than night. 
John

Offline mikeh565

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »

Brad posted some info over on ACL that I though might be of interest to P10 owners. I did not see if he posted here already?

I tested my 25 panel P10 setup with 10 different brightness levels hidden inside the Falcon Player.Results below, as measured from cheap ebay current meter/shunt. (expect for the final value which had to be measured via multimeter as the ebay special maxed out at 50A) Not entirely sure about this little ebay meter's calibrations, particularly at the lower levels (under reading by maybe <=1A) but at higher levels it seems to match up with against my multimeter. Value below also include BBB own power consumption.I also tried brightness 12 whilst playing a video and it spiked at 59A of a 60A supply. Did not try that one on full White!!!IMO I actually think decreasing the value to 5 made my video content look better. This is definitely something that won;t be decided until everything is setup and it's brightness can be compared against the rest of the display.Having said that I'm finding my video content is going to need careful tuning to get brightness/contrast/saturation and maybe gamma levels set correctly so it looks clearer on the panels.
To change the BBB's brightness level, you need to modify the PRU source code & recompile. (Thanks to Phil for asking the question on the Falcon forums http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2727.15.html

SSH to your BBB machine.
cd /opt/fpp/src/pru
sudo nano FalconMatrix.p
sudo make
sudo make release

Then restart the FPPD service for it to update.

Questions, I tried this on my Respberry Pi last night.  When I went to run the "make" commands it would not, saying something about a target being invalid.   Any suggestions?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »

SSH to your BBB machine.
cd /opt/fpp/src/pru
sudo nano FalconMatrix.p
sudo make
sudo make release

Then restart the FPPD service for it to update.[/size]

Questions, I tried this on my Respberry Pi last night.  When I went to run the "make" commands it would not, saying something about a target being invalid.   Any suggestions?

Those instructions were only for the BBB.  Currently the only way to reduce brightness on the Pi is to do so in your sequencer.  I have a partial patch which will allow adjusting the BBB brightness in the UI, but I haven't finished testing it yet.  It also will be BBB specific, it won't work on the Pi, I need to look to see if I can come up with a similar solution on the Pi.  That won't be this year though, so for now, your only option is the sequencer.

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 87
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
The RGBMatrix object for the Pi does have a "SetBrightness" call on it.     Not sure how well it works.  I think it's a 0-100 value.   Would that be hard to add to the UI?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »
Ok, I just added SetBrightness() support to my local copy on my laptop.  Once I get a chance to test tonight on a Pi, I will get it committed to both v1.8 and v1.9.