Author Topic: LOR cmb-24 in DMX  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Bill Krueger

• Kudos: 0
LOR cmb-24 in DMX
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »
HI all, I have been doing a lot of home work trying to do this by myself, but I can not fine how to address the CMB-24. I can do the other A/C boxes just fine and understand on how they are addressed. But this is where I need help The CMB-24 has 24 channels. If your have it as Box #15, will it know that there are 24 channels from that controller and lets say you have a another A/C box after the CMB-24. Will the DMX channels be 321-345 for box 15 and then 346-362 for box #16?

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Re: LOR cmb-24 in DMX
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:03:47 PM »
In a true implementation of DMX, the position of the box means nothing.  The only thing that matters is the starting address.  As for the CMB-24, you can set the starting channel to whatever you want.  The LOR Box number means nothing when operating on DMX mode.  Here is a link to the device operators manual  http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/CMB24D_Man_Web.pdf

Just set the 4 jumpers on the left of the board to DMX and then use the addressing switches on the right to set the desired starting address.  The tables to properly set the address switches are close to the end of the manual.  The real issue is what other devices are also on this network and if they properly implement DMX.  A proper implementation means that the device reads the data stream without altering it and uses the channels from its starting address to what it needs.  If you are using Renard AC controllers they do not properly implement the DMX data stream.  They read the data stream and strip out the channels that they are assigned to work with which alters the data stream for any units further down the line.  If you have these in your data stream, you need to take this into account when assigning starting addresses.  The units here and the DLA Lynks controller properly implement the data stream and will have no effect on starting address regardless of position in the data stream.

As you thought, if you set a starting address for the cmb-24 to 321, it will use 24 channels and the next available address will be 346.  You can set it to an overlapping address but if you do, then the overlapping addresses will affect both controllers.

Offline Bill Krueger

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
OK Well I thing I'm getting it. The controllers I will be Using are all Light O Rama. With the over lap should I just skip the next group of 16 channels so there is not a problem?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »
If all of the controllers are LOR, then you shouldn't have much of a problem converting to DMX.  LOR does follow the protocol correctly so all you need to do is make sure that you set the starting addresses correctly.  I don't know what LOR controllers you have (with the exception of the cmb-24) but IIRC, you can set any of them to whatever starting address in DMX that you want.  The first thing that you need to get out of your head is the LOR Box Number.  This is meaningless to DMX so there is no reason to even think about it when assigning the controllers DMX starting channels.  DMX also doesn't care where in the string a controller is.  It only cares about the starting channel number.  Just assign them to starting addresses that is a number of channels higher than the number of channels the box before it controls.  There should be no reason where you are forced to overlap channel numbers or skip channels to avoid overlapping.  Once they have a starting address, you can put them anywhere in the string of controllers that you want and they will continue to operate on the group of channel numbers that you assigned to it.

Offline Bill Krueger

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
ok the box number is out of my head. What I should of said was a residential controller- LOR Unit ID #1 would be DMX address 1-16, then with the second Unit ID would be 17-32 and so on. Here is what I'm not sure of. Lets say after Unit ID #2 I use a CMB-24 it will be Unit #3 and the DMX addresses will be 33-57 then I go back to a residential controller LOR unit #4 will the addresses be 58-74 ? This is what I'm not understanding. Everything else you have said I understand. I know there is a table for Unit ID to starting DMX Address Table, But it nothing is said about adding the CMB-24 in the mix.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »
Yea, I forgot that there older units were LOR first, DMX as an after thought.  You really have two ways of doing it.  The first would be to assign all of your 16 channel AC controllers first with sequential Unit ID's and then put the cmb-24 at the end.  Since the cmb-24 can be set to any DMX address, just assign it to the next available DMX address and you are good to go.  The second way is to skip a Unit ID # where you want to put the cmd-24.  For example, if you have 5 16 channel AC controllers and you want to put the cmd-24 between the third and forth AC controller, assign the first AC controllers to unit ID's 1,2,and 3 and assign the last two to unit ID's 6 and 7.  This will leave you a 32 channel hole where units 4 and 5 would be that you can put the cmb-24 in.  Just assign the starting address of the cmb-24 in this case to 49 and you are good to go.  The problem with this is now you are going to have an 8 channel hole and XLights doesn't like that. 

Offline Bill Krueger

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
yes makes a lot of sense. I have 10 LOR controllers and 2 CMB-24's  If xlights  does not like this should I end with a CMB-24 in one universe With all of the LOR controllers and then There is one more CMB-24 should I just stick that one in the next universe by it self?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 11:20:59 PM »
Why would you want to put the second CMB-24 on a separate universe.  Keep in mind that a universe in a RS485 DMX setup means a separate DMX dongle and separate wiring for each universe that you create.  DMX has 516 channels available so if your 10 LOR controllers are all 16 channels AC controllers, that's only 160 channels so there is plenty of room for the 2 24 channel CMB-24's.  Just set the first ones starting address to 161 and the second one to 186 and you should be good to go. 

Offline Bill Krueger

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
ok great, Thank you so much!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »
Just set the first ones starting address to 161 and the second one to 186 and you should be good to go.

161 for the first
185 for the second

(I always think of "Channel 1" for a first 16 channel LOR controller, then Channel 17 for a second)

Offline Bill Krueger

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
I understand that but with the CMB-24 it has 24 channels.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »
Yea, he was just talking about similar math with his 16 channel controllers and he did catch my math error.  The correct starting address of the second CMB-24 will be 185. 

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Looks like tbone321 is having all sorts of maths issues with this thread.
A universe is actually 512 channels not 516. Doesn't make make difference if you're down in the 180-190 range though.

Why would you want to put the second CMB-24 on a separate universe.  Keep in mind that a universe in a RS485 DMX setup means a separate DMX dongle and separate wiring for each universe that you create.  DMX has 516 channels available so if your 10 LOR controllers are all 16 channels AC controllers, that's only 160 channels so there is plenty of room for the 2 24 channel CMB-24's.  Just set the first ones starting address to 161 and the second one to 186 and you should be good to go.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
That was a typo but since the start address is below 200 for a 24 channel controller .....