Author Topic: Power Distro RevB group buy interest  (Read 18455 times)

Offline Vavvoom

• Kudos: 0
Re: Power Distro RevB group buy interest
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 09:37:39 AM »
I would buy 5 of either the 6 or 8 port , I think the blow fuse indicator would be nice.

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
6 or 8 port is fine. Blown fuse indercator and larger connector would be great. I use Ferrell's on all connections and could not get them to fit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline harrison0550

• Kudos: 8
    • Soddy Daisy Christmas Lights
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »
After reading everyone's comments and trying to find a common ground here is what I have came up with for the next run. I am waiting to hear back from the board house but I believe I can run these with larger connectors and blown fuse indicator LED's for $12 a board. Thoughts?

Offline smccoy

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 02:47:55 PM »
After reading everyone's comments and trying to find a common ground here is what I have came up with for the next run. I am waiting to hear back from the board house but I believe I can run these with larger connectors and blown fuse indicator LED's for $12 a board. Thoughts?

Looks great to me. I'm building several matrix props this year and these will be great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »
Couple of other enhancements on the new layout posted above.....
I overlapped the power output footprints so they will snap together on the larger connectors. I will run a small 10 board run to make sure this works like it should before running the large order. I also bumped the screw holes to the outside of the board as I remember that being a pain for some as it was right in front of the two end screw terminals. The board house also hated where the original screw holes were as they would snap off being so close to the edge when they broke apart the penalized boards. I remember them sending me these pictures after the last run and ask me to move the holes if I ran these again.....   

Ooops  :o :o

Online rstehle

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
You nailed it Andy!!  Thanks!!

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 03:24:34 PM »
You nailed it Andy!!  Thanks!!

Thanks!
I just ordered 10 of them. They should be here in a week or so. I will post a video when they come in of testing. All good and I will open them up for a group buy!

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
Looks good. Love it when a great product gets even better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Scoobysnacks

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
I really like the revised design with the blown fuse LEDs, and specifically the larger screw-in terminals upgraded to handle larger gauge wire.  I will be interested in purchasing once you get your production quantities.  Looks like you've got a good design that fills a legitimate need, and incorporates best-of-breed features.

For those who like their gadgets and to option things out, I wanted to share some quick and easy mods you can easily add like I will be doing:  8)

1) digital voltmeter display option under $1.50, multiple colors available to suit your Christmas themed fancy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical-Three-0-36-Inch-Digital-Tube-Mini-LED-Voltmeter-Voltage-Tester-Meter-/282055814896

2) digital thermometer option, black or white, under $1.30:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-FISH-TANK-Temperature-2Y-/281797168289

3) also around $1.30, for you folks in more humid climates that may also want to know how much moisture is inside your controller boxes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Understated-Digital-LCD-Indoor-Temperature-Humidity-Meter-Thermometer-Hygrometer-/381551833287

All three of these are very easy mods that you can add to your power supply/distribution boxes to monitor what's going on with your setup.  Granted, the voltmeter is kinda pointless because you already know your working voltage unless something has gone terribly awry with your power supply(s).

Note that for options 2 & 3, these are Celsius display only.  Farenheight gauges are also readily available, but the ones I've found are typically 3x the cost.

Offline Vavvoom

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 07:31:31 AM »
Andy,

Looks great, thanks very much for doing the work on this so that everyone gets a great product!!!!

Chris

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
Andy, you didn't exactly say, but can you clarify the operation of  the "blown fuse" LEDs?  For simplicty and low cost I'm guessing they are normally lit all the time and if a fuse is blown, then that led goes out with all the other still lit.

For everybody that says they want the blow fuse LEDs, do you really want them if they are lit up all the time?   Andy can you confirm if this is how they would be?
-Mark

Offline darrell575

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »
Andy, you didn't exactly say, but can you clarify the operation of  the "blown fuse" LEDs?  For simplicty and low cost I'm guessing they are normally lit all the time and if a fuse is blown, then that led goes out with all the other still lit.

If that is the case, like with many controllers, I prefer to NOT have those LEDs shining all the time and leave them off.  If they are normally dark and only light up when the fuse is blown then that would be cool, but I don't suspect that's how these work.

For everybody that says they want the blow fuse LEDs, do you really want them if they are lit up all the time?   Andy can you confirm if this is how they would be?  Most of the controllers work this way and I was under the impression that most people opt to not install these fuse LEDs on those boards

They are normally off. Once the fuse blows the LED lights up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
Yes they are lit until the fuse blows then they turn off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 09:28:37 AM »
Darrell and Andy gave two opposite answers.   Based on the drawings and cost, I suspect they are normally on all the time, which is what Andy said.

Just want to make sure that everybody who says they want the "blown fuse" LEDs understands this.  The name "blown fuse indicator" kinda sorta sounds like it lights up to indicate a blown fuse, but I believe it's the opposite.  Normally all LEDs lit up all the time unless a fuse is blown then that one led would be out. 

Offline darrell575

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 09:28:56 AM »
Yes they are lit until the fuse blows then they turn off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry I retract my statement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk