Author Topic: Power Distro RevB group buy interest  (Read 17407 times)

Offline darrell575

• Kudos: 1
Re: Power Distro RevB group buy interest
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
Darrell and Andy gave two opposite answers.   Based on the drawings and cost, I suspect they are normally on all the time, which is what Andy said.

Just want to make sure that everybody who says they want them understands this.  The name "blown fuse indicator" kinda sorta sounds like it lights up to indicate a blown fuse, but I believe it's the opposite.  Normally all LEDs lit up all the time unless a fuse is blown then that one led would be out.

I retracted my statement! Don't listen to me I don't develop the board I'm just going to buy them! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darrell575

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
My distro boards will be inside of an enclosure with a PSU, so the lights on the board lit up will be ok.

Offline darrell575

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »
My distro boards will be inside of an enclosure with a PSU, so the lights on the board lit up will be ok.

But I speak for myself!

Offline harrison0550

• Kudos: 8
    • Soddy Daisy Christmas Lights
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
My thought process here was to keep the cost low and to make it easier to identify what fuse was blown in the dark along with letting the user know when there is power to the board. So if you open your enclosure and normally you have 6 led's lit on the board and you only see 4 it's easy to identify what two were blown in the dark. Tiny SMD led's inside an enclosure shouldn't be a visual hindrance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »

I hear ya.  I was just wondering if everybody who said they wanted them realizes they are on all the time and this could make a difference in some installations.   True, they are small and it would be easy to tape over them if needed to block the light.

Another concern I have with the LEDs is won't that make the board locked in to a specific voltage?  Now you will need different boards for 5v or 12v or other voltages.
I know LEDs are cool and in this case almost no additional cost, but there are pro's and con's and I personally would prefer to not have these LEDs for these reasons:
 1. don't like having them lit up all the time in a nighttime display
 2. would like the boards to be universal voltage (same board for either 5v or 12v)
-Mark

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
It will be the same board for both 12v and 5v. You can use a resistor value that will operate both LEDs in safe voltage. They will just be a little dimmer on 5v than on 12v.

I agree they could be a nuisance if placed in a clear enclosure or out in the open. I will have video of them in operation in a week or so. If the led's are to much they are simple enough to 86 from the design.

Offline rstehle

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 10:47:52 AM »
1. don't like having them lit up all the time in a nighttime display

Got a hot air gun?  You can remove the LED's in about 5 seconds..........

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
How about an alternative to being on all the time. 

Connect all the common (ground?) lines from the indicator LEDs, put a switch on it before it makes with the master ground. 

To check if power is available, press the button.  What ever does not light up indicates a blown fuse.
This keeps the LEDs from being on all the time, but also allows for the operator to quickly check.

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
How about an alternative to being on all the time. 

Connect all the common (ground?) lines from the indicator LEDs, put a switch on it before it makes with the master ground. 

To check if power is available, press the button.  What ever does not light up indicates a blown fuse.
This keeps the LEDs from being on all the time, but also allows for the operator to quickly check.
That's actually a pretty awesome idea! Dang where were you before I ran a 10 board sample yesterday. Lol. Looks like I need to order another run tonight.

Online tbone321

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »
You could do that or you could use a simple jumper to control the common.  You could even use a 3 pin jumper and deal with both the voltage issue and the LED's being on or not.  One set of pins (say the right and center) would connect the ground to the 12V current limiting resistor, the other side of the pins (left and center) would connect to the 5V current limiting resistor and leaving the jumper on just one pin or completely removed turns the LED's off. 

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »
The jumper pins would definitely work.

The reason I suggested the switch was for field testing.  Easy enough to open the case, hit the button and see (or not).

Online tbone321

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »
The switch would work well for field testing but if the board is in a closed case, why not just leave them on.  If cost control is an issue, switches cost more money than jumpers (even 3 pin), take up more space on the board, and you still have the issue with a single current limiting resistor over the two different voltages.  A N.O. push button switch will still be easier to check the status of the fuses than a jumper in the cases when you only want the LED's on to check fuse status, especially in the dark but if you just want them on or off, the jumper is effective and lower cost.

Offline harrison0550

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
The jumper pins would definitely work.

The reason I suggested the switch was for field testing.  Easy enough to open the case, hit the button and see (or not).
Yea I hate jumpers. I try to avoid using them wherever possible. I always drop those little things then have to search my junk drawer for one. I really like the button idea. Press down to test fuses and give you led's to show the board is getting power, release and it's dark. Super easy/dirt cheap to implement. Kinda mad at myself for not thinking of it. As for the multiple resistors I tested various resistor values on both 12v and 5v and found several that will run both voltages and light up the LED in safe ranges so no need for any adjustment or additional components or even worse 2 separate boards.

Offline rstehle

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:37 PM »
Just curious how many of us would use this board out in the open where those tiny indicator LED's could actually be a distraction to the show???  All my stuff is in enclosures, which are definitely closed when I am not in there tinkering........  I would want the LED's on all of the time so I know all channels are good (or to find a blown fuse) when troubleshooting issues.  If your setup is in your Garage (or inside somewhere) how would the indicators be a distraction there? 

Offline battle79

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 04:25:04 PM »
I'd assumed the indicator lights only came on when a fuse was blown like the standard automotive ones that are similar. If possible this is my preference.