Author Topic: My new 8' x 8' pixel matrix  (Read 2597 times)

Offline markrvp

• Kudos: 7
My new 8' x 8' pixel matrix
« on: June 30, 2016, 10:28:23 AM »
My dad wanted to cover all the windows on the front of his house with pixel matrices.  One of his windows is 8' square.  2200 pixels, 50 wide by 44 tall.  It took me a few weekends, but we finally got it done!

The red arrow shows where the window is on the house:

Here we are dry-fitting the panels.  For assembly, mounting, and storage sake we decided to make the physical matrix in two separate panels.

Closeup detail of the grid material and how we screwed it to the 1/2" PVC frame:

Another shot of the top panel dry fitted in the window:

Here is the completed bottom panel dry fitted in the window frame.  These will be attached with Pex Clips.  Use 3/4" Plex clips for 1/2" PVC.

The completed panel in our workshop showing output from xLights.  I've got a few pixels on the top row that aren't responding right.  I've got a few troubleshooting ideas to work on this weekend.  I can't wait to see this at Christmas!!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:36:00 AM by markrvp »

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: 1
Re: My new 8' x 8' pixel matrix
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:56:42 AM »
Looks great!  Excellent work!

Offline bravado67

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »
Holy moly that's going to look awesome for your show! Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
I LIKE IT!

Where did the material come from?
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline StickyWicket

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »

Offline markrvp

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
I LIKE IT!

Where did the material come from?

The material I used is the HolidayCoro Pixnode Net CLEAR with 2" spacing:  http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/775.htm

Another option is the Monster Matrix Panel from Boscoyo Studios:  http://www.boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=59

Offline uzelessknowledge

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »
Very nice. Care to give some details? I see many pigtails. Are you power injecting? How many power supplies?

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
Very nice BTW!!

Am thinking of something similar for my parents house.

Question - would have not been easier cable management wise to turn the 2 panels vertical and have cables at the bottom instead of the side?

It looks like if rotated 90 deg it would still be the same size?

Just curious

Thanks
Tony

Offline markrvp

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »
Very nice. Care to give some details? I see many pigtails. Are you power injecting? How many power supplies?

If I were doing this again and wanted to keep it very simple, I would have used a Falcon V2 with expansion board and four power supplies. Then I would have used 22 SPI outputs and plugged each string of lights into one SPI output.  No power injection necessary.  That also would have left 10 more outputs to control other props.  Arguably the way to go... 

BUT... I had planned this out before the Falcon and expansion board were ready, so I went with a different 16 output controller.  Power injecting at the beginning and end of strings also gives me a very even white on the pixels at full white.  I will do my best to explain how I have this connected and can get some better pictures of the wiring and connections this weekend if it would help.

There are 22 strings of 100 count 12v WS2811 nodes.  At full power a 100-ct string of these nodes pulls 6 amps... more than the fused capacity of one SPI output.  I made the decision early on to not power the strings through the controller...all power would be done through injection.  I combined the strings into pairs, making eleven 200-ct strings of lights.  At the beginning of each string I put a T connector so I could inject power at the beginning.  The T connection also makes it irrelevant which of the 4 power supplies I use, as long as I use the same power supply at the beginning AND end of the string.  Then at the end of each 200-ct string I injected 12v power again.  I had Ray Wu make the strings with molded on connectors so nothing would have to be soldered.  On the controller, I disconnected the 12v powerlines coming out of the SPI outputs so as not to mix +12v signals from different power supplies.  In summary, 12v power is applied 22 times to this grid.  I am running the pixels at 50% power because at 100% it's too bright for my tastes.  At full white with four power supplies, it would not be good to run at higher than 80% power.  Keep in mind that 50% power doesn't mean they are half as bright... it's not as linear as incandescent bulbs.  I have the power level set in the controller so it's locked in hardware.  I also have zig zag set in the controller every 50 pixels.

This method of power injecting gives me a very even white across all pixels.  I tried powering a couple of different ways, and this was definitely the most evenly powered way of doing it. 

Question - would have not been easier cable management wise to turn the 2 panels vertical and have cables at the bottom instead of the side?It looks like if rotated 90 deg it would still be the same size?

I would have preferred to do it that way, but the window is not perfectly square.  It is 50 pixels wide by 44 pixels tall.  I wanted to eliminate solder joints if possible, and keep all the injection points on the same side of the panel.  Because it worked out to be 50 wide, that made running 100-ct pixels across and back the easiest way to do it.  Having said that, I could have gotten Ray Wu to make me strings that were 88 pixels long and then I could have run them up and down.  It just made it easy to go with 100-ct pixels with molded on connectors.

Offline uzelessknowledge

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »
Thanks Mark.