Author Topic: Need an EDM transmitter - Christmas Sale  (Read 15426 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Need an EDM transmitter - Christmas Sale
« on: July 29, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »
From their Yahoo forum:

Hi, We are pleased  to announce!

If you are a member of the Christmas Light group forums, we will be having a special with free standard shipping (insurance still optional),  and a free rubber duck antenna included for the next 30 days as we do every year.

Contact us on edm@global.co.za with your details about the group/s you belong to, as well as your order details.

You are welcome to pass this offer on to your fellow group members who are not a member on this forum.

EDM Team

Offline didjareally

• Kudos: 2
Re: Need an EDM transmitter - Christmas Sale
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:22:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing, guess i'll go ahead and get my order in

Offline MrSmoofy

• Kudos: 0
    • Holiday Lighting, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 12:38:17 PM »
Awesome been on the fence on if I should get something cheaper or go with that I understand is the best.
Chris
Holiday Lighting, LLC
Your Source for Genuine Mean Well Power Supplies
Web: http://holiday.lighting
Facebook: http://facebook.com/holidaylightingllc
Twitter: http://twitter.com/holidaylightin9

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
it's worth the investment, and it's a good thing and positive experience for the people in their cars seeing the RDS text.

Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 11:02:09 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. For my first year, I bought a cheapo HLLY CZH-15A (or some cheap knockoff.. I didn't know any better at the time) off eBay which seemed to do the trick. For my second year, I bought another as a backup. But either the sound quality degraded on them, of my standards got much higher. I discovered that the spare I got started to get its left channel acting flaky, so I thought it was time to buy a new transmitter.

I ordered the "consumer grade" basic EDM-LCD-CS-EP model for not much more than what the "junky" ones on eBay go for nowadays... the prices seem to have gone up in the last 5 years or so. I considered the "Audiophile" versions, but emailing EDM with some questions, I was told "To be honest, the difference is not that obvious to the untrained ear. The only way real way to tell the difference is with suitable measuring equipment." Anything is an improvement compared to my current unit. Most glowing reviews of EDM transmitters I found through Googling didn't refer to the specific model, but I found this one: https://www.hobbybroadcaster.net/community/index.php?topic=726.msg5336#msg5336

But I digress... I'm looking forward to my new FM transmitter!  :D

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
Way back when ... I discovered the EDM ... at a time when about all we had to choose from were the Ramsey kits ... and honestly the EDM was as good or better than the top of the line Ramsey ... and a year later could also do RDS.  They sold a cheaper LED TX model ... available for about $50 less but after word got out ... most people wanted the LCD model or the LCD w/RDS.

At the time I discovered them, EDM didn't know our hobby even existed.   So they asked me to host group buys on Christmas boards for them in the states, so I did.  Wow, what a reputable company ... sold quite a few in the first couple years.  My tiny commission helped me fund the show in the early years.  After that they eventually realized they could just offer us a decent deal annually and it was a win win for them and us.  THey also started an EDM yahoo group which is still there today.

Anyways, I still have my EDM LCD w/RDS, love it ... just glad that the relationship with our hobby is still around.  The biggest negative to buying these was the 2-3 week shipping time.  THey rarely even need repairs ... super reliable ... but if they ever do, they send it someone in the states who fixes it in no time flat and for very little money.

Gotta just say thank you to EDM for staying with us and supporting the hobby like they have!

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. For my first year, I bought a cheapo HLLY CZH-15A (or some cheap knockoff.. I didn't know any better at the time) off eBay which seemed to do the trick. For my second year, I bought another as a backup. But either the sound quality degraded on them, of my standards got much higher. I discovered that the spare I got started to get its left channel acting flaky, so I thought it was time to buy a new transmitter.

I ordered the "consumer grade" basic EDM-LCD-CS-EP model for not much more than what the "junky" ones on eBay go for nowadays... the prices seem to have gone up in the last 5 years or so. I considered the "Audiophile" versions, but emailing EDM with some questions, I was told "To be honest, the difference is not that obvious to the untrained ear. The only way real way to tell the difference is with suitable measuring equipment." Anything is an improvement compared to my current unit. Most glowing reviews of EDM transmitters I found through Googling didn't refer to the specific model, but I found this one: https://www.hobbybroadcaster.net/community/index.php?topic=726.msg5336#msg5336

But I digress... I'm looking forward to my new FM transmitter!  :D

I'd like to thank Gary for linking to HobbyBroadcaster.net in regards to the EDM transmitter. I would like to point out, however, one would be better served to view the entire topic thread EDM FM Transmitter Arrrived Today!

As a professional broadcast engineer for licensed radio stations my site focuses on legal license free low power broadcasting under FCC Part 15 regulations. Many imported, non-FCC certified micro power FM transmitters which might be classified as "Part 15" type transmitters available on venues such as ebay or Amazon are of poor quality, possibly generating interference or are overpowered in respect to the FCC Part 15.239 regulation. Either one of these situations may present problems and create an unwanted visit from a field inspector. With this in mind, an end user might opt to steer clear of the questionable transmitters and use transmitters with both a positive track record and FCC certification, such as the C. Crane FM Transmitter 2, the Whole House FM Transmitter 3 or the Decade CM-10 or MS-100 transmitters. Many of these transmitters have been evaluated in my evaluation lab reviews using the same broadcast field intensity measuring equipment used by both broadcast engineers and the Federal Communication Commission.

In general, imported transmitters without certification are considered illegal by the FCC and if you end up getting visited by the regional field office due to a complaint and/or over the air interference the agent may be less forgiving if you're using one of those imported, non-certified, interference prone FM transmitters.

Bill DeFelice
Webmaster
HobbyBroadcaster.net

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »

... Many of these transmitters have been evaluated in my evaluation lab reviews using the same broadcast field intensity measuring equipment used by both broadcast engineers and the Federal Communication Commission.

Bill DeFelice
Webmaster
HobbyBroadcaster.net

Bill, the number of Christmas Hobbyists who have had FCC visits is statistically negligible. What would be more helpful to us is for you to "borrow" one of our EDM transmitters and test it like you have done to the mentioned vendors.

While the Whole House Transmitter is on your list, is has a less than stellar approval from said hobbyists.

I would be willing to send you my EDM transmitter (with solid assurances that it would return in time for Halloween).
As a first time poster here, you may not be able to send a personal message through the forum. Worth a try, though. I think it takes 3 posts before it considers you a "non-spammer"

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »

Bill, the number of Christmas Hobbyists who have had FCC visits is statistically negligible. What would be more helpful to us is for you to "borrow" one of our EDM transmitters and test it like you have done to the mentioned vendors.

@JonB: I understand that as of this moment that the percentage of Christmas Lighting hobbyists receiving an FCC visit may be negligible, but in light of many new LPFM and FM translators for AM broadcasters coming online it may not be as remote as you might suggest.

In a recent discussion we focused on a Michigan health club using Part 15 FM transmitters to broadcast television audio for patrons of the club. Apparently, one of the chosen frequencies was the same as translator that had recently been put on the air. The operator of the licensed station wasn't happy at all with the reported interference. The operator of the station showed him the license for the translator and told the club's manager to either change frequencies or shut the transmitter down and.  The manager shut it down. It could have turned out much worse if the translator's owner just decided to call the field office to handle it. The club would have likely received a visit from a field agent, or worse!

While the Whole House Transmitter is on your list, is has a less than stellar approval from said hobbyists.

While the review of the WH3 has yet to appear on the site the review of the WH2 pretty much summed things up. Overpriced for a plastic transmitter, features that appear inoperative as well as "undocumented" power adjustments which easily allows the transmitter to easily operate in a non-compliant manner, exceeding Part 15 field strength.

I would be willing to send you my EDM transmitter (with solid assurances that it would return in time for Halloween).
As a first time poster here, you may not be able to send a personal message through the forum. Worth a try, though. I think it takes 3 posts before it considers you a "non-spammer"

That would be great, Jon. I was suppose to receive a review unit from EDM but they never followed through with it in spite of multiple emails. A used unit adds a little complication to the review as there's no chain of custody, meaning that there's no guarantee that your transmitter's adjustments, settings, etc., are identical to one received directly from the manufacturer.

Due to time constraints with my employer much of my available time is spoken for for August, but it's certainly possible to review a loaned unit next month and have it back in your hands well before Halloween. The only thing would be confirming that your transmitter's operation parallels normal factory operation.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
I'd like to thank Gary for linking to HobbyBroadcaster.net in regards to the EDM transmitter. I would like to point out, however, one would be better served to view the entire topic thread EDM FM Transmitter Arrrived Today!

How did you realize that I placed a link to the HobbyBroadcaster web site? Do you have the same ability to sense "a disturbance in the force" like the guys from the FCC?  ;D

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »

How did you realize that I placed a link to the HobbyBroadcaster web site? Do you have the same ability to sense "a disturbance in the force" like the guys from the FCC?  ;D

@Gary: Actually, I had noticed the increased traffic in my site's logs, not a disturbance in the force. Also, I have to thank you as I wasn't aware of the Falcon Christmas forums. I added a link back here in my resources area for those who are interested in specialty lighting displays.

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
Just an update for everybody. I located my original email correspondence with EDM from several years ago when I first attempted to review their FM transmitter. With the interest of your members in seeing a performance test and evaluation I once again contacted the manufacturer to see if they'd supply a factory sample, not only for on-bench testing but for field intensity testing in a factory-supplied configuration.

I'll keep everybody updated to what I hear back from Stefan and the EDM team.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 02:12:02 AM »

But I digress... I'm looking forward to my new FM transmitter!

An update for those who are interested... I just got around to soldering the power connector on my EDM-LCD-CS-EP FM transmitter (their basic model), and am very pleased. Since my laptop has two audio out jacks, I was able to quickly switch my Sony MDR-V150 headphones between the direct laptop connection, and an audio out on a small FM boom box. In all honestly, I couldn't tell the difference at all. I just kept repeating the same section of song over and over again as if I had OCD. I plugged in my old cheapo CZH-05B FM transmitter to compare, and the sound was muddier in comparison with muted highs.

At one point, I plugged in both transmitters at the same time on different frequencies and went into our 2012 Dodge Journey (hardly high end, but with a pretty good factory stereo) and switched between the two frequencies and the difference was even more apparent when compared back-to-back. I was a bit disappointed at first when I noticed some background static on the EDM transmitter when transmitting silence, but realized that it was pretty comparable to a local radio station during the rare times that there was silence. The CZH-05B had noticeably more noise/buzz during silence.

Being in Canada and the currency exchange rate presenting me with a "30% off on sale", I'm pretty price-sensitive, but was a bit nervous on how it would sound, but my concerns have been put to rest.

Offline Bill Ellick

• Long Lake Lights
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 05:21:13 AM »
I purchased my EDM-LCD unit back in 2008 and it is still operating perfectly!  I can't speak for any other transmitters as this is the only one I have ever had but I certainly am impressed with the clarity it puts out.  I have never had to touch it since it was set up.  The only change I have made over the years was to add a dipole antenna on the side of my house since the unit was located in a back office of the house and I just wanted to see how an outside antenna would work with it instead of the small wire that came with it back then!
I use mine throughout the year as well.  I play Christmas music that I want to sequence on it while mowing or working around the house with my headphones on on the off season to get ideas for new songs.

All in all, a very good buy for a quality unit.

Gary, I had a bit of background noise when I first set up my EDM and found that my power supply was causing it.  I changed to a new one and no more noise (at least as far as I can hear) from it.  You might want to check it - just saying.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 02:14:43 AM »
Gary, I had a bit of background noise when I first set up my EDM and found that my power supply was causing it.  I changed to a new one and no more noise (at least as far as I can hear) from it.  You might want to check it - just saying.

I emailed them to ask about it, and they suggested wrapping the power cable around a ferrite trap a few times, but it didn't make a difference. In all honestly, the buzz is only noticeable when I crank up my stereo over half way; if music is playing at that volume setting it's not really enjoyable at that point unless I was already deaf.