Author Topic: Bullet nodes have power when black  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Scottishsurfer

• Kudos: 0
    • My light show website
Bullet nodes have power when black
« on: August 02, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
Just sharing my recent experience.  Bought some bullet nodes from holidaycoro and connected them to my alphapix 4 controller.  Selected test mode and everything worked except the bullet nodes stayed lit when black selected.  After 3 days of troubleshooting I noticed that although my power supply read 12 volts, the alphapix was displaying 13.1 volts.

I adjusted the power supply down to 11v (alphapix now said 12) and the pixels worked as expected.  Great blues, reds, greens, and best of all, when black, they turned off.  I guess I was giving them too much power.

Anyone else run into anything like this?  I would have thought that if I tested the voltage using a multimeter to the board (12v) I would be sending 12v to the strips/pixels.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Bullet nodes have power when black
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
This is very common. Seems to get mentioned weekly.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:56 PM »
I had some strange behaviour with ones from DIYLEDExpress a couple of years back... when the lights faded/turned off with a R, G, and B values that are identical, I sometimes had red pixels remaining brightly lit. The issue was resolved with lowering the power supply to 11.8V. That was with the strings connected directly to my controllers for testing, but now I'm running into other issues with voltage drop over long cable runs, so I think I'll bump up the voltage a bit.

Offline critic2

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:04:33 AM »
Just sharing my recent experience.... After 3 days of troubleshooting I noticed that although my power supply read 12 volts, the alphapix was displaying 13.1 volts.

I use those those small voltage displays in all my controller enclosures. Never a question as to the output of the power supplies. You can see it in the upper right corner of the attached photo.

Chuck P
Still Learning...💡

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
Good idea adding those cheap modules per power supply.
On a safety note. A lot of 5V designed IC's in pixels and controllers cannot handle more than 5.5V before being damaged. At 5.43V you're getting very close to that point.

Just sharing my recent experience.... After 3 days of troubleshooting I noticed that although my power supply read 12 volts, the alphapix was displaying 13.1 volts.

I use those those small voltage displays in all my controller enclosures. Never a question as to the output of the power supplies. You can see it in the upper right corner of the attached photo.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:09:10 PM »
Did I just see some actually still using the Pi LCD display hat?  I didn't think anyone actually used those anymore.  :)
-
Chris

Offline critic2

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:39:07 AM »
Did I just see some actually still using the Pi LCD display hat?  I didn't think anyone actually used those anymore.  :)

HaHa. I appreciate any visual display on my controllers and power supplies. It just looks good!  :D

Offline whitebuck

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »
I have found that a bad solder job will sometimes create the condition where the pixels are lit when off/black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 05:17:18 PM »

What is that led rgb keypad on ur pi

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 05:03:04 AM »

What is that led rgb keypad on ur pi

That's the Pi LCD Hat Chris just mentioned. Looks like one of the knock- off varieties available from Aliexpress, although i don't see the LED on his, but can see the six pin pad where it should be.  I think they are about $10.  The touch screen ones are more $.

Offline critic2

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 06:07:36 PM »
Knockoff from eBay, item 281549878723
I removed the Rgb led and ran a jumper to the LCD backlight since it is not wired in.
I use them on most of my RPi's