Author Topic: Haloween show questions  (Read 1653 times)

Offline kennylights

• Kudos: 2
Haloween show questions
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »
I don't put on a Halloween shoe per se, what I do is a pseudo static display. I have a giant spider web with an inflatable spider on it, RGB flood lights around the house perimeter, Home depot led spotlights connected to a lights alive lightning simulator, a projector showing various atmosfx scenes on the front window and (new this year) a second projector upstairs in the front bedroom. The need as a whole is fairly simple, everything to work together yet be independent. Let me elaborate:

The lightning simulator operates off of sound via some CD's that came along with the unit. Stereo output sounds of thunder for left and right of the house. This is one independent part of the show, but can be run along with the RGB flood lights and DMX foggers.

The projectors will be independent of that, but have a pre-programmed sequence that (could be ) random. What I mean by that is having a random set of scenes play throughout the night. The scenes will consist of the first floor projector playing the AtmosFX "friendly" skeleton scenes randomly while mixing in the two projectors to produce a mouth off of the first floor projector and eyes in each of the windows on the second floor (something I am in the process of completing, pending the ideas formed out of this post).

Both of these independent items will have sound associated with themselves. The lightning simulator can only hear the lightning sounds, but the projector scenes can have both. I have a mixer available to use, but am lost as to how to incorporate these together. Do I run three PI's? one for the lightning, one for the first floor projector and one for the second floor projector? The lightning PI completely seperate, but running the same schedule? The way I see it, that keeps the audio seperate solving one potential issue, but can it be run as master and slave using some sort of script?

The next question on my mind is, how do I run two separate videos on two separate PI's coordinated via master and slave? do I name them the same and let the scheduler fire them off? Or would this be better handled in a script as well?

The other things that could be added (I would like to incorporate everything to keep this as care free as possible) would be a LOR servodog driven talking skull and another projector running the singing pumpkin faces.

I cannot seem to wrap my brain around this and was hoping for some help form the collective found here.

[EDIT] forgot to add that I also have RGB pixel node Spooky eyes from Boyscoyo running through an E6804. Most likely will run those through the front room projector along side the flood lights.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:37:38 AM by kennylights »

Offline sharms2010

• Kudos: 0
Re: Haloween show questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
I've been searching for the exact same answer and can't find one. Have you figured this out yet?

I want to use 3 projectors with 3 pis and have each play different videos (pumpkins on one, the 3dfx witch on the second, and a window projection on the third). I want each one to play alone then the next to start, then the third. It seems the salve/master is for playing things in sync. I definitely don't want that.

Offline sharms2010

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
I figured it out. I was trying to use mater / slave but instead I kept them as standalone and created playlists with a video then event to trigger the other pi.

FPP1 - Playlist "Pumpkins" = pumpkin video then event with Remote-StartPlaylist.sh (put in the IP of FPP2 and playlist name "Witch")
FPP2 - Playlist "Witch" = witch video then event with Remote-StartPlaylist.sh (put in the IP of FPP1 and playlist name "Pumpkins")

The master slave thing really confused me.

Offline kennylights

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »
In Master/Slave I wasn't able to get two separate audio feeds going not to even mention three. I am looking at the script setup as well. I think by kicking off a playlist off of one and having them all in standalone should work.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
In Master/Slave I wasn't able to get two separate audio feeds going not to even mention three. I am looking at the script setup as well. I think by kicking off a playlist off of one and having them all in standalone should work.

If you need audio on all systems then you will need to use standalone mode and event scripts to fire the videos on the 'remote' Pi's.

The new playlist rewrite I am working on will eventually allow you to fire remote videos that are not in sync so their audio isn't affected by speeding up or slowing down the video to keep in sync with the master.  This will make it easier to run this type of config without using event scripts. Don't look for this new playlist code until next year though.  I'ts been a busy year In Real Life and some of my TODO list had to slip to next year unfortunately.
-
Chris