Author Topic: Need wireless network bridge help  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Bob57702

• Kudos: 0
Need wireless network bridge help
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:01:04 PM »
I'm very new to this type of lighting and controllers.  I've been running a small LOR incandescent light setup for a while but now want to start moving into the LED/RGB lighting using Falcon controllers while keeping the original LOR layout.  I'm starting extremely slow with just a couple new controllers and some smart pixels.  The problem is I have to have a wireless connection.  I'm currently using LOR ELLs to manage the LOR controllers across a city street. 

Can any of you help me by telling me how to do a wireless network connection but for the Falcon F16V2 controllers?  I would like to put one on each side to run a few pixels...this year.  Is it as simple as bridging a couple routers or do I need to do something else?  Is there a more economical method?  DIY isn't typically an issue for me however resources and time could be so I hope to keep any experimentation at a minimum.

Thanks

Offline Bob57702

Re: Need wireless network bridge help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »
Since I originally posted this I've done some of my homework.  I've read a lot of the posts as well as just about everything else I can find about this Falcon controller. I even powered up a controller and attached some pixels for the first time.  I see that this system is fully network based so I suspect that I should be fine by setting up a wireless network bridge across the street using wireless routers. Will an up to 300Mbps wireless connection be adequate?  I don't remember reading the recommended speed.

For some reason I haven't been able to connect the computer directly to the F16V2-R controller but it works fine on my home network.  I must be missing something beyond just setting a static IP.  I think I would prefer to have it on its own isolated network but if I have to I could setup a subnet I suppose.  Any pros and cons to these methods?  The obvious firewalls and security aside.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
I have my F16v2s connected to a Raspberry Pi configured as slaves which I control via wifi from another Pi  configured as the master.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline bravado67

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:07:19 PM »
This video was a big help to me yesterday in setting up a secondary router to run my show from. An important note about Default Gateway on the 2nd router:  make it the same as your IP Address for that router. I am now able to hit both routers as long as I am joined to the wireless network of Router 2 and hardwired into home network.

Example below.

Router 1 
IP Address  192.168.1.1
Subnet       255.255.255.0
Gateway     192.168.1.1

Router 2 
IP Address  192.168.2.1
Subnet       255.255.255.0
Gateway     192.168.2.1

Offline Bob57702

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
Thank you Jim and Bravado67. 
Jim, while I'm interested in the RPi idea I think it's a little late in the year for me to introduce yet another variable.  Once I get this wireless going I still have to learn XLights and then port my LOR show into it.  At the same time I need to make some more displays.  Thankfully I had them mostly done last year and my neighbor will do most of the remaining work.

Bravado67, this is helpful for setting up two WiFi routers.  I didn't see the video link or source.  Is it on the Nutcracker123 site tutorial page and I missed it?

What speed is your WiFi?  Is 300Mbps adequate?

Offline bravado67

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:07:24 PM »
Thank you Jim and Bravado67. 
Jim, while I'm interested in the RPi idea I think it's a little late in the year for me to introduce yet another variable.  Once I get this wireless going I still have to learn XLights and then port my LOR show into it.  At the same time I need to make some more displays.  Thankfully I had them mostly done last year and my neighbor will do most of the remaining work.

Bravado67, this is helpful for setting up two WiFi routers.  I didn't see the video link or source.  Is it on the Nutcracker123 site tutorial page and I missed it?

What speed is your WiFi?  Is 300Mbps adequate?

Yes, it would have helped if I attached it. My bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW83cBMRjUM