Author Topic: Newbie needing help with Pi GPOI test  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Cjlocey

• Kudos: 1
Newbie needing help with Pi GPOI test
« on: July 23, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
I am new to this and I want bought a string of 5V ws2811 RGB pixels and I saw this guys setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmvGwt0vApo and want to duplicate it to show my wife in hope to get her buy in to make a large investment on a matrix setup.
I have FPP loaded on  Pi 3 but I have an old Pi 2 and a few Zero's if it would be easier to use any of the other units.  And yes I have searched hi and lo to try to find something on this forum.

Thanks and you all are AMAZING!
Curt
Running display on pi's with picaps.....no controllers
Some said it could not be done!  4245 pixels and growing!
xLights & FPP - marriage made in pixel heaven

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Newbie needing help with Pi GPOI test
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
Would be simpler to just use one of these.  https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/pixel-pihat-rev-c/

Too easy to fry your Pi if you are a newbie and using GPIO in my opinion.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 07:50:02 PM »
You are going to need a few components before attempting this.  Even though the PI can supply 5V, it really doesn't supply enough current for more than a few nodes so you will need a 5V power supply.  You will also need a few female breadboard jumper wires to connect to the PI's GPIO pins.  If you are using the PI Zero, you would either need to purchase and solder in the 40 pin header or solder wires directly to the board.  You also will need the PI's pinout diagram because the numbering system can be a bit confusing and as Jim said, it can be easy to fry the PI if you confuse pins and connect to the wrong ones.  Once you have these, connecting it up is pretty easy.

On a side note, you might want to consider going with 12V nodes in the future.  5V nodes require a lot more voltage injection points than the 12V versions which requires more wire and creates a bit more complexity in the shows setup.

Offline MikeKrebs

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »
If you want to duplicate that layout, he describes it in some videos and posts. Just check his user. He offered a BOM in one of them.  PM him and he can tell you exactly how to do.

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »
I am using an original Pi with a PiHat now installed on it.  I only have one string of 50 lights but I would like some help programming a simple "arch" setup (colors being chased on a group of 5 or so from one end to another).  I have Vixen 3 downloaded but I do not see how I set up the PiHat output on it. 
Is there better software for me to use without spending a ton to prove I am capable of doing this?
Thanks in advance for the help
Curt

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »
I was able to figure out how to finally get an arch set up in Vixen but what controller do I use when using the PiHat?

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 01:53:49 AM »
Without knowing the exact question you're asking I think what you're wanting is simply an E1.31 device. If you're going to drive the Pi from Vixen then it gets configured as an E1.31 device and within FPP you configure it in bridge mode.

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 11:06:33 AM »
What controller do I use in Vixen 3 and FPP to control 50 lights from the PWM pin on a raspberry pi?  I am able to test the lights and they work, now I want to set up a simple arch sequence to get my feet wet in programming.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:45:58 AM »
AAH gave the answer.   In case you missed it, in Vixen the FPP is set up as an e1.31 controller and on the FPP you set it to bridge mode.

The other option is to export to FSEQ file, copy it to FPP and then use the FPP scheduler to play it.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:15:29 PM by pixelpuppy »
-Mark

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
I switched to xlights and was able to get my test to work!  Thanks for all the help.  Now it is time to start buying pixels.