Author Topic: F16 signal issues.  (Read 911 times)

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
    • Rocklin Lights
F16 signal issues.
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
Hello all,

I have one F16 that has been giving me grief for the last week or so. Here is the story...

This particular F16 is the newest one that I have. It is the only one without the active pixelnet option applied.  Everything appears to work normally, test is flawless, when signal is working everything works as expected.

However; I rarley am able to get signal to this unit. I originally was running it at the end of a chain (Active Hub->Active Hub->F16 passive).  I noticed that this unit would not light up. If I play with the RJ45 it would work for a while and then stop again. 

I ended up not using the third output of my FPD so I decided I would try and use that output with a new cat5 to eliminate the cat5.  This got me the same behavior, the unit would get signal sometimes but not others.  Again if I play with the RJ-45 it would work sometimes.

Next I decided to move the universe that the unit is working on.  I had it getting signal from the third pair in the cat 5 and decided to move it to the first pair (no reprogramming required). Again the same behavior was observed.

Today I pulled the controller out of its hiding place and resolder the RJ45 jack and the pixelnet jumper blocks. I checked continuity to the first Rs485 chip and everything looked good. I inspected the RJ45 jack and everything looked normal.

Again no luck. Same behavior.

So now I am at a lose for where to look next. The only thing I can think of is to move to universe 2 or 4 and see if there is a problem with the first Rs485 chip.

Any other ideas?

at the limit of my debugging skills... Again...

Frank

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: F16 signal issues.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
RS485 chips can act up. They are easier to move around than resoldering. Perhaps number them first so you know what came from where.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
I agree. It most likely is the 485 chips. Try checking for continuity between the socket and the bottom solder joints. If a pin on the socket was bent under it could be making intermittent connection to solder pad.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
    • Rocklin Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:40:08 PM »
Wow David its like you have the board in front of you!  Went out and pulled the board up and noticed pin 5 showed no sign of a lead passing through the board.  A quick continuity test showed spotty contact.  I switched over to use the second universe; and hence the other Rs485 chip and so far so good...

Frank