Author Topic: Cube matrix  (Read 2198 times)

Offline kennylights

• Kudos: 2
Cube matrix
« on: October 19, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
A little while ago, I saw that someone made a cube matrix, so I wanted to try the same thing. However I am running into a few issues.

Details first; three sides - Left, Right and Top made from 6 P10 panels 2 for each "side"

• Layout in Xlights: How can I "parallelogram" the individual matrices to form the perspective cube sides and top.
  • layout in Falcon: layout seems straight forward if I treat them as individual outputs from the octoscroller and the layout tab on Falcon should be a non issue, but we will see once everything gets rolling.
Once I get the isometric perspective view in xlights correct, the effects should look awesome, but when I try to layout everything, it leaves gaps in different spots and an effect applied across all three matrices doesn't look as fluid as it should be.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:49:01 AM by kennylights »

Offline kennylights

Re: Cube matrix
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:57:31 AM »
Progress Made!!!

I excel whipped this model and it is exactly how I want it for the Xlights layout. Next is to see how well the setup and translation to the BBB is through FPP.

Offline kennylights

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:33:51 PM »
k. Hitting a wall here in trying to get this to work in FPP. How would I best layout this in the LED panel setup? I have previously setup signs that were flat and in a rather basic configuration. 2X3 where calling the outputs is fairly easy. In this instance, when I try to apply what I have done previously, I get some very wacky results. I have it setup as the top separate from the sides. That makes it three separate panels, but with consecutive numbers. My confusion is in thinking that the panels should operate much the same way as a string of pixels where 1 is 1, 2 is 2 and so forth. The results from this cube prove different. Is there some BBB P10 panel guru here?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
I think that you can do this with a single custom model, but I think it could be accomplished with 3 horizontal matrix models glued together into a group to play an effect on the whole cube.

Attached is an image of a simplified 3x3 version of your cube and how a single custom model would be laid out.  Using this type of pixel layout treats the top as if it were around the back right side.  If the cube was unfolded, this would be a 9-wide by 3-tall matrix.

Extrapolate that to your 6 P10 panels.  If your custom model uses the pixel numbers to treat the top as if it were the back right side then you would end up with a 96-wide by 32-tall matrix.  In FPP, you will setup a 3-wide by 2-tall P10 matrix and then configure your output and panel numbers however you need to do it to make your cabling easier.

I think you could do the same thing by creating 3 horizontal matrix models, one for each of the 3 faces of the cube.  Create a model that is a horizontal 32x32 matrix.  Use the Individual Start Channels option to specify the individual start channels for each row of each face of the cube.  For instance, if your matrix starts on channel 1 then the start channels for the left front face would be 1, 289, 577, 865, etc. if my math is correct.  The layout in FPP would be the same.  You can rotate these horizontal matrix models in the preview UI to get them to look like a cube and sequence correctly.   If you create duplicate non-rotated versions of these matrix models, you could also do things like scroll text normally across the sides of the cube.
-
Chris

Offline kennylights

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »
Thanks Chris. I initially tried to make it as three separate custom matrices each numbered 1 thru 1024 for the sake of xlights and keep the start number of each of the matrices concurrent (IE 70891 - 73962, 73963 - 77034 and 77035 - 80106). As far as I knew, it really didn't matter what the physical form of the prop was,as long as you told FPP where the first node was in relation to the output on the octoscroller. I was pulling my hair out this entire afternoon though. I would plug everything in to their respective outputs which in my case was Cube Top (the first pixel lower left as specified in Xlights) into J1 on the Octo and ribbon cable to panel two which should be 0-1, p-1; 0-1, p2. Moving on to Cube Left it was Output J2 so 0-2, p-1; 0-2, p-2. Cube Right Plugged into J3 should have been 0-3, p-1; 0-3, p2. which is how I wired up my flat matrices without any issue. no luck on that setup.

I tried to setup one panel to confirm things. Cube Top plugged in and nothing else, FPP led panel setup at a 1X2 0-1, p-1; 0-1, p-2 and that worked. Now comes the part that has my head hurting. Changing absolutely nothing in FPP, plugging in a second panel (cube left) and the Cube top went wonky. Nothing called out for output 2 at all and Cube left mimicked each other (they were the same). Should anything show up when no FPP is called out? even if I plug into J8 on the Octco, the panels are all the same. Do I have a broken Octo?

I have another Octoscroller and a brand new BBB that I could try, but only if I need to. It is hooked up on a portable sign I made using Mark Valentines idea from the expo but that is another project to detail at another time. 

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
All outputs are always driven with 8 panels worth of data, this is related to one of the optimizations I want to make to the library we use.  If you do not configure an output/panel combination in the FPP UI, then that output/panel gets the data for the top-left origin of the matrix.  So, if you didn't configure any outputs but connected 64 panels, they would all be displaying duplicate data.

Offline kennylights

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »
That makes sense with what I was seeing then. What do you make of the fact that I get one face set, plug other panels in and it loses that panels setup? Could it be my settings in xlights? I can't see how they interact besides channel start number and as you mentioned, all this is irrelevant of physical layout. Xlights should just tell each pixel on, off, intensity and not a whole lot more. FPP (BBB) and the octoscroller really do nothing more but direct traffic by output and panel.

Whew, I think I have that right.

Is there a preferred way of setup in xlights? I just have mine starting bottom left... Well, bottom left on the left and right sides and bottom left on the top which is really top left of the left panel... And all numbered (for the custom matrix setup in xlights) as bottom left is pixel 1, across the "bottom"  to pixel 32 and back to the left for pixel 33 and so on and so forth to end in the upper right at pixel 1024. All the other matrices I made were just standard matrix just defined the "wide by high"  so, that is really the only wild card in my mind.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 01:07:59 AM »
I can't think of any reason that the top panels would go 'wonky' when you plug in a panel on another output for the right or left side.

I prefer top-left, but that is because my background in programming an application that works with video overrides my minor in math in college.  :)   FPP supports both, so as long as your config in FPP matches your model in xLights you should be OK.

Can you attach a screenshot of your FPP Channel Output config along with a screenshot of the config for the first model in xLights?

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
If plugging a panel in is causing issues then it could be 1 of 2 things. Either you're hitting a current threshold for power and you're generating dropouts as the power is peaking or alternately you may have a short on a panel or panel wiring.

Offline kennylights

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 07:05:19 AM »
OK. I have attached screen shots of the falcon LED panel setup screen as well as the xlights setup screens for the top, left and right. Finally, there are two photos of what the cube is doing. In the one pic, it should be all solid colors on each side. In the second photo it should be a pinwheel effect. what is weird, especially in the full color pic is that it would split the top into three even segments, the left side is the same, but the front side is split into four uneven segments.

Offline kennylights

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 07:06:27 AM »
more pics, apparently too large of a file size.

Offline kennylights

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
more pics

Offline kennylights

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 07:11:48 AM »
Last one.

Offline kennylights

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »
SUCCESS!!! Don't know why this made a difference, but here is the setup in FPP. apparently, FPP would rather see the panels in a straight line rather then spread out. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it did. Pictures don't do it justice being as they are [EDIT] 1/8 scan. All in all, everything is in it's proper order and place. Now to program this thing and see how to make it bigger ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:32:09 AM by kennylights »

Offline garyh

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
Kenny,

That looks awesome!  P10 panels are in the show for next year.  Can't wait to see the video...