Author Topic: AlphaPix 16, Pi3 Remote Mode  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
AlphaPix 16, Pi3 Remote Mode
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »
I have my AlphaPix 16 connected to my Pi3, and that same Pi3 has a Pixel hat, driving additional LEDs.

When I run a sequence on this specific Pi3 in standalone mode, all LEDs respond fine (all 16 outputs on my AlphaPix and both outputs on my Pi Hat are responding fine).

However, when I switch this specific Pi3 to remote mode, and play the same sequence from the master Pi, only the outputs on the Pi Hat are active (nothing is happening on the AlphaPix).

I know the Pi3 and AlphaPix are communicating properly (everything is fine in standalone mode).  I know my master Pi is connect to the remote Pi, because the LEDs on the Pi HAT are responding properly--it's just that I somehow lose response on the AlphaPix.  I've "enabled routing between network interfaces" (on both the remote and the master Pi).  I just can't think what setting I'm missing.

And to make the matter worse, it's been fine for months--up until last week, when  I had to reformat/reinstall both the SD and the USB on this remote Pi, and haven't been able to get it fully running again.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: AlphaPix 16, Pi3 Remote Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »
Are you using both eth0 and wlan0 on this Pi?  I'm trying track down a bug which some people have reported and so far the commonality seems to be that they are using WiFi for sync and Eth0 for E1.31 output.  I need to dive into the code more.  if this is your case, you can try switching back to the v1.7 branch on the remote by going to the developer.php page and selecting 'v1.7' from the branch dropdown box.
-
Chris

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 11:56:23 PM »
Yes...wlan0 to connect wirelessly to master, and AlphaPix is out the eth0.

It's been fine for months, up until a couple nights ago.  I was fiddling around with some of the scripts, and that's when it went it started acting up.  I figured I messed something up, so just reformatted everything and started from scratch (hoping that would fix).

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 12:11:53 AM »
Just put both the Master and the Remote in v1.7 (wasn't exactly sure what do to after selecting v1.7 from the dropdown).  However, both now are reporting Version: v1.7-36-ga97b2ae.

However, the Remote now isn't working standalone mode (not even for Display Testing).

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:14:16 AM »
Just put both the Master and the Remote in v1.7 (wasn't exactly sure what do to after selecting v1.7 from the dropdown).  However, both now are reporting Version: v1.7-36-ga97b2ae.

However, the Remote now isn't working standalone mode (not even for Display Testing).

You can switch back to v1.8 via the same method.  I don't remember when we started quoting the entries in the config file, but it could be that v1.7 doesn't like your newer config.  I am looking into the issue and Dave is also getting me some logs from a system having the problem so I can at those.  I am wondering if E1.31 is going out the wrong interface for some reason on these dual-homed systems.

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 12:26:51 AM »
Switched to v1.8-39-g6dccf87, and reverted back to the original problem:  sequence plays fine (both PiHat and AlphaPix) in Standalone mode, but only the PiHat plays in Remote mode.

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 12:35:30 AM »
And just to clarify:  I've had this configuration running for around 6 months with no problem.  It's just the last couple days where it stopped working.

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 07:21:37 PM »
Just to follow-up: looks like today's update fixed my problem.  Everything's working back to normal!

Thanks!!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
Just to follow-up: looks like today's update fixed my problem.  Everything's working back to normal!

Great, thanks for reporting back.  It wasn't an easy one to find, but once I was able to replicate it myself, I noticed that the debug logs were missing a great deal of info.  I then realized that was because the file ID was getting closed causing log output to stop.   I talked with David on the phone yesterday about this and I mentioned to him that I had been running a Master/Remote repeating playlist test since Sunday night and the Remote was still sending E1.31.  My remote was a single-core BBB, so maybe the issue only showed up on multi-core machines due to a race condition.  I'm glad it's fixed.