Author Topic: Saw these lights at the Academy, finally got some from China  (Read 2623 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 117
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Saw these lights at the Academy, finally got some from China
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
Very short video showing these 50mm "ball" lights from Ray Wu. Somewhere between a tennis ball and ping pong ball.
The string of 40 is 27 feet or 8 meters. The ball is two halves. You can see the compression nuts that hold them to the black wire.
Inside each ball is a small circuit disc with 3 RGB LEDs. These are 12vdc (either TM1804 or WS2811, I got the TM1804) and are now proven to work with the Falcon16 and with DLA SSCs.

Sad thing is they are not waterproof at all, but do appear to be durable. The compression nuts grab that wire very well to keep stress off of the internal solder joints. I may try putting these on our indoor Christmas tree.

http://youtu.be/FKh6PKNw-RU

More pictures on AliExpress if you search for:

360degree 50mm TM1804 color milky ball;waterproof,DC12V input;0.72W
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:40:09 AM by JonB256 »

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
Re: Saw these lights at the Academy, finally got some from China
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
They look like Ray's version of triklits from Minleon.

Alan

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »
Minleon had some at the Academy. At least one other brand was there, tool. They did a  tug of war "pull test"with one of the Minleon strings and it survived very well.

I'm not trying it with mine, though they definitely could hold their own weight if suspended.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
I got some samples from Ray, and I compared the construction against Minleon's triklits.
Both are nice and durable, but Minleon was able to locate the LED directly in the center of the bulb.  Ray located the light closer to one end, and so there was more of a hot spot in the bulb.

I like both products.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
I got some samples from Ray, and I compared the construction against Minleon's triklits.
Both are nice and durable, but Minleon was able to locate the LED directly in the center of the bulb.  Ray located the light closer to one end, and so there was more of a hot spot in the bulb.

I like both products.

Triklits are $6.00 a bulb. Ouch.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 06:30:09 AM »
The Minleon (Nida Lighting) construction is probably a LOT better, and if I was buying for a commercial install instead of from my own pocket, it would make sense. They say on the website http://www.nidalighting.com/product-p/triklit-rgb-led-decorative-bul.htm that they are waterproof. I would hope so, at $6 + per ball.

Ouch, indeed.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 07:36:44 AM »
Did anyone look at the rest of that website? 

http://www.nidalighting.com/product-p/santas-station-house.htm

Now, that's a big ouch!

Time to get my powerball tickets!!
Ryan

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
Same lights - (50 mm balls), different question.

Since these are not waterproofed, but I'd love to put them on my roof from ridge to gutter, I'm thinking some sort of continuous plastic sleeve would be useful. Perhaps even seal it at one end and then vacuum the air out. As long as it stayed "deflated" I'd know that it was watertight. The standard length from Ray Wu is 27ft/8m, so plenty long for my roof.

Anybody seen rolls of sleeving like that? Inside diameter slightly greater than 50mm?
Wouldn't want the mil thickness to be too thin, and it would need to be fairly clear.

I'll pose the question to Ray and perhaps he could even ship them already sleeved.

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
Check "heat shrink" tubing, at 5cm that would be 2.5" tubing.  Something else might be a tube protector for fluorescent lights, they may make a clear tube big enough and you can certainly seal those up.

Alan

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »
or use plastidip to seal the joints
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 05:17:33 AM »
I'm actually considering making these "Less" waterproof as a way to work outdoors. (i.e., let water out just as easily as it gets in)

I want to use a set of 11 strings of these on my roof, going from peak to gutter, about 22 feet. (they are 27 feet long as purchased). My roof has snowflakes on it in a pattern that would allow a string to lie between them down the roof. It would be 12 or 14 columns as currently positioned. Because the circuit board would be above any water that could collect in the ball, I could either conformal coat the circuitry or use CorrosionX to moisture proof them. Then I'd drill a few drain holes around the circumference. It would involve opening each ball. Not hard but a hassle. :(

These are <$2 per ball currently. Ray Wu did say they are working on a waterproof version. He did not say IP67 or 68 in his note, and he didn't mention cost increase. Doubtful that it would reach $6 per.

In the picture, that is the "Data Out" side of the board, so the light output would be toward my street / viewers.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:24:00 AM by JonB256 »

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »
Personally I would probably just go with these on a frame to control viewing angle: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20pcs-3leds-rgb-pixel-led-module-WS2811-IC-milky-cover-DC12V-30mm-diameter/701799_866369222.html

IP68 and under a $1... 

OR these if I really wanted 50mm: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20pcs-DC12V-WS2811-pixel-module-with-milky-cover-6pcs-5050-led-inside-1-44W-50mm-diameter/701799_1203017385.html

50mm, IP68, and $1.60 BUT (6) 5050 LEDS!!!

Heads up: do not hold your breath for Ray to launch new gear.  Been there done that like 3x.  Also, you will likely need power injection to get the 5050 stuff to run full white to more than 20 modules to your liking...  The max figure for the SSCs is for data only and the 5050 gear has large voltage drops.  Spent last weekend learning this.  That said, I think the 5050 gear is worth it. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Timon

• Developer
    • WarrenLights
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »
I worked with Ray on these. Sealing them is the main issue. The boards get conformal coated which helps but you still should keep the water out. There are two way to do this, gluing or ultrasonic welding. What Ray needs to find out is if the plastic used can be ultrasonically welded. The other problem is the seal where the wire goes in. If that's not sealed then if water gets in it may not get out.

One thought is having an extra heavy coating of conformal coating and have a way for water to escape. The problem with that is you weed to keep the PCB at the top.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
In my planned application, the circuit board would "up roof" oriented, so a few drain holes drilled around the globe's "equator" would allow good drainage. I'm just as concerned about water getting in through the top threaded connector and running down the inside wire to the board. Wouldn't take much to unthread the fitting, apply some sealant and re-thread.

If there is conformal coating on my little round circuit boards, it is fairly thin. I'll look more closely.

Offline arw01

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »
I'm thinking more along the lines Zwiller posted if I was putting the globe shape up on the roof.  These look to be extra bright, which might overpower some other pieces of the display.  Be nice for places a long ways of though, like in a large tree etc.

To protect my flex strips, I put them in pex tubing, but I think tubing large enough for those globes would be prohibitive, but perhaps a tubing that only housed the pcb's and got rid of the globe could be interesting as well.

Was just thinking with some close spacing, those globes could make some interesting beat sticks!