Author Topic: Learned a hard lesson today  (Read 1110 times)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 66
Learned a hard lesson today
« on: December 14, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »
I was prepping to add another element today down in the basement workshop and setting up a couple of SSCs with the Falcon firmware on them.  To set the initial address it is necessary to do a program all.  So until I took the dog for a walk a little while ago and saw that my windows and gutters were all messed up I had not thought about the fact that I still had the ETD connected to the house network and just reprogrammed all my universe 1 SSCs to new addresses.  Well I suppose just the last address I tried to put to the last SSC.  Just what I needed after all the other issues I have had this year.  Still have some lights flashing and all the DMX and universe 2 stuff is working, but I'm not going to touch the reprogramming until daylight tomorrow.  Yuck!!!!
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
Re: Learned a hard lesson today
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
OH NO!  Hopefully it won't take too long!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:44:04 PM »
All my cat 5 cables are labeled as to where they go so I should be able to remove all cable from my active hub and then just plug one at a time in and re-address them until all 12 or so are where they should be.  Time to disconnect the 5port hub by the ETD from the house network, but it has been great sitting in my basement and being able to work on sequences and then upload them right from my basement office to the Pi.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
Got everything fixed and working today.  Then spent time with Dave on teamviewer to get my F16 working.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »
Good save!!  I have that fear too - 10x because in my setup I have one battery box up on the roof that serves up 8 SSCs and to recover from that id be putting on spikes and have to be crazy careful with the snow on the roof.

I am sure next year that active hub will be on the ground level and I'll have a falcon up there as readdressing a board with a dip switch set hw id sure is much easier to deal with. Mind you i might have some problems as some of those runs on the ssc are over 30' so I'll have to figure out what works distance wise. I suppose that new board that's being designed can't have a daughter/remote board like the same concept of the active hub and ssc to allow for much longer runs.

Hmmmmm. Anyways as to hear you got it fixed Jim
Ryan

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »
Glad to hear that you got it up again Jim. So to make you feel better I have a mega tree being driven by 2 Falcon 16s. I have one channel on one of my 16s that is acting up. Since I had 4 extra 16s lying around doing nothing (Because of my Technicolor roof debacle) I thought that instead of trying to figure out the issue I would just swap out controllers.... Easy right? Mind you that my mega tree is 1804 bullet nodes used by DLA. Anybody see where this is going? So I spend 1/2 hour swapping the controller then 3 hours trying to figure out why I cannot get the controller to take a channel reprogram. It is now 5pm (show starts at 6) and I have no lights on my tree. You know when you have one of those moments when your heart sinks to your stomach! I could not get power taken away from the replacement controller fast enough..... like that was going to help after 4 hours of power being supplied to them. You see the 3 wire connectors are totally different on the TC nodes and I knew in my head that I had just fried 16 strings of perfectly good nodes!!!!! With a very heavy heart and a very quickened pace I put back the original controller. You can understand the relief that I felt when I turned on the tree to see ALL 32 strings light! I would say lesson learned, but when I am in a hurry and tired I am sure that I will do something similar again. I got very lucky this time. I now have a rewired Falcon 16 ready to go when I get a chance to try again. To make you feel even better I had TECHNICOLOR written all over the box to prevent this from ever happening!!!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[   >:(

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
that is why I am going to use the 3 pin connectors out of all my contollers - wired all the same way.  Each string will then will have a correctly wired mate so if I move things- i dont have to worry about what you just went thru....

Tony

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »

that is why I am going to use the 3 pin connectors out of all my contollers - wired all the same way.  Each string will then will have a correctly wired mate so if I move things- i dont have to worry about what you just went thru....

Tony

Well I might get to that, but I already had all of my SSCs wired and the TC strings come with a connector on them, so that will take some work for me. But yes I understand what you are saying!