Author Topic: Sandisk e682 erratic behavior  (Read 1188 times)

Offline esmiller67

• Kudos: 0
Sandisk e682 erratic behavior
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:47:08 AM »
I have a question about my Controller, a SanDevice e682..

When I run the wires along the ground to the lights, i get flickering of the entire string of lights on that channel. It does not matter the distance. I have my controller mounted at the base of my Megatree and of I run the lights to the bottom of each strand (3 ft) it happens. If I run it along the ground to my arches (20ft, maybe) it happens. When I support the wiring along the entire length so it is not touching the ground at all, the flickering disappears and it works perfectly!

on the Mega tree I am using 18ga/4 conductor wire .. for the Arches I an using Cat5e cable with a separate power line run of 16ga wire because of the distance.

I am also power injecting every 50 nodes, and have a power supply located at the arches to power them with the ground and 5V tied into the power line coming from the controller, to ensure that my power levels are consistent across all elements.

I am THINKING it is some form of grounding, but dont know. My wife does not like the look of the suspended wires going to the arches, and wants that rectified this coming year, so if anybody has any suggestions how to fix it, or what I need to do to supply more information, I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Eddie - KI4RQK
Wartrace Lights on Facebook

Eddie - KI4RQK

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Sandisk e682 erratic behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »
Can you draw up a drawing of how the power and data is connected showing power supply, pixels and the E682.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:42:46 AM »
That is "grounding" but it is capacitive rather than conductive.  The higher frequencies in your Data line are leaking.

Using a uAmp (microAmp) to maximize the Data integrity would certainly help.

Also, when you are using CAT5, are you using a Single wire (Orange) or Both wires (Orange and Orange/White) for data?

Offline esmiller67

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
That is "grounding" but it is capacitive rather than conductive.  The higher frequencies in your Data line are leaking.

Also, when you are using CAT5, are you using a Single wire (Orange) or Both wires (Orange and Orange/White) for data?

I tried it with both wires, as well as all 8 wires, I think! Not positive any longer. I will see about drawing up a diagram of my wiring though.

Eddie

Offline esmiller67

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »
OK.. my artistic talent is NIL, but here is an attempt at a diagram..

Offline esmiller67

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:47:42 AM »

Which method is most commonly used with success? I think I discussed this awhile back with somebody but can no longer remember what they said. i believe it had something to do with NOT using pairs of wires?? I may be mistaken though. My memory is not what it use to be :(

ALSO.. in place of a uAmp, could I install a Null Pixel inline about halfway to the arches? would that serve the same purpose, since as I understand it, that will boost and recondition the signal as it re-transmits it. Is that correct?

Eddie

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »
There is divided opinion about using a single wire of the data pair versus using both wires.

I'm of the single wire mind. Someone with a data probe could definitively answer that question.

Also, in your drawing, I don't see a black line (-5vdc) going between the two 5vdc power supplies. That is helpful/required to keep Data voltage stable.

A uAmp is better than a null pixel because it uses a better driver with higher slew rates to give a better output waveform.
But, null pixels are perhaps easier to find. Many controllers will let you treat a "regular pixel" as a null pixel.

Alternatives are:

Use shielded twisted pair cable to reduce capacitive loss to ground (could be a single pair or CAT5's four pairs)
Use Coax cable (great distance but not cheap per foot - you might have some lying around, though)
Get a Falcon F16v2 and use a Differential setup for that long distance stuff (you want one, anyway, right? :) )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:17:42 AM by JonB256 »