Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 777 times)

Offline rickswa

• Kudos: 0
Power Supply Question
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
I have what is probably a very remedial question.  I bought a DMX 512 signal controller (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PQAW5AM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to try out the new pixels I got from Ray Wu since I don't have a controller yet.  They are 12v 2811 with 100 pixel string.  I have a 12V 120W power supply that I used to power the controller.  I tested the output of the PS and it shows 12.08V coming out.  When I hook it to the DMX512, it powers it up fine and all menus seem to function fine.  However, when I hook the string up to it, the light on the PS dims, the controller goes blank and the lights obviously do not light up.  I had Ray install the pig tails on the strings for me so I know it cant be wrong wiring and I also used the labeled pig tail for the connection to the controller.  I had thought being a 12V controller that it would power the 12v 100 count string just fine for testing.  Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing here?

Offline rickswa

• Kudos: 0
Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
nevermind.  figured it out.  The wires were not labeled correctly AND the ends that were soldered on the strings were not wired to the "standard" with 12v+ being the bottom contact.  I had to scrape some insulation of two of the wires to get it squared away but now all is good. :)

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 06:31:22 AM »
I've had similar problems from Ray on pixels with the pigtails attached. On two different orders the 12v and ground were wired differently.  Unfortunately no matter how much he tries he still is only as good as his personal.  I still will use for all my pixels he is great to work with and quickly makes it right either by replacing the product or giving me a discount on future orders.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels